Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your Oscar Predictions?

Old 02-25-03, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
You have spoken the truth, but Hollywood does not like the truth. It really deals with fiction and lives in a fiction land.

Tom was robbed by not getting best actor for Castaway and how could he not be nominated for RtP.
Hell, Tom was robbed when Roberto Benigni took home Best Actor over Hanks' eloquent performance in Saving Private Ryan.

For some reason, the Academy and the public lately have developed a bit of a backlash towards Hanks. It's a shame, in my opinion, as he is truly a gifted actor.

When a friend of mine and I walked out of Road to Perdition, I commented on how impressed I was that Hanks was able to pull off playing an evil (not evil as in over-the-top evil, of course) man. "He wasn't evil," my friend said. "He played a good father." The man played a hitman which to me, is not a definition of a good person. But because of Hanks' performance, people were able "forget" just what type of character he was.
Old 02-25-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zooiiks
Hell, Tom was robbed when Roberto Benigni took home Best Actor over Hanks' eloquent performance in Saving Private Ryan.

For some reason, the Academy and the public lately have developed a bit of a backlash towards Hanks. It's a shame, in my opinion, as he is truly a gifted actor.

When a friend of mine and I walked out of Road to Perdition, I commented on how impressed I was that Hanks was able to pull off playing an evil (not evil as in over-the-top evil, of course) man. "He wasn't evil," my friend said. "He played a good father." The man played a hitman which to me, is not a definition of a good person. But because of Hanks' performance, people were able "forget" just what type of character he was.

He was okay but The Road to Perdition just wasn't that good. Actually, I thought Hanks was a lot better in Catch Me if You Can.....
Old 03-12-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that the academy will give U2 the award for Best Original Song to make up for not even nominating them for 1993's "Stay (Faraway, so Close!)" from Faraway, so Close!.

Of course, I may be a little biased because it's my favorite song of all time-the one from FSC that is. Does the academy have a rule about original songs from foreign films not being eligible, or was it just not specifically written for that film?
Old 03-12-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I predict the Oscars will suck like they do every year.

Actually - I've only seen a few of the films that were nominated and I didn't think they were all that good (except for one).