DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Daredevil ... more proof that Roger Ebert has lost it. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/271731-daredevil-more-proof-roger-ebert-has-lost.html)

cactusoly 02-16-03 12:45 AM

Daredevil ... more proof that Roger Ebert has lost it.

As has been discussed before Roger Ebert has lost his mind with a posative review of Daredevil.

Before you toss bricks my way... I loved Daredevil its just that Eberts review supports the senility theory.

For example .... Roger panned Spiderman yet praised Daredevil. Although I loved both movies, I go along with the general concensus is that Spiderman was better. (I'm just saying for consistancy's sake Roger should have panned DD)

An earlier example is Star Wars Episode 1 and 2. (please don't turn this into another Star Wars bashing thread) He loved Episode 1 but hated 2. Although I loved both movies I go along with the concencus that Clones was better.

In yet another example, bringing back both Spiderman and Clones. A major reason for him disliking both films was because of the so called lack of realism in the digital effects. Yet he loved the visual effects in Spy Kids 2!

Roger Ebert is totally insane!

Any feedback?

Mr. Salty 02-16-03 12:57 AM

Re: Daredevil ... more proof that Roger Ebert has lost it.

Originally posted by cactusoly
Any feedback?
Yes. Just because you don't agree with Ebert doesn't mean he's insane. In fact, I agree with him on most of the points you posted as examples of his mental instability (although I haven't seen either of the "Spy Kids" movies).

Krug 02-16-03 01:12 AM

Well does this mean Harry Knowles crew is insane?

Oh wait.. they are.

Anyway, Ebert isn't insane. If you read some of his reviews of less commercial movies, you'll find that the guy still can write well, and shows no signs of senility whatsoever.

But this is America, where just because someone doesn't agree with you, you call him insane.

Captain Harlock 02-16-03 01:48 AM

Is it really impossible that he could like it?

zero 02-16-03 02:32 AM

Umm a question if I may...When did Ebert ever have it?

Seantn 02-16-03 03:41 AM

They are called opinions. Deal with it.

d2cheer 02-16-03 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Seantn
They are called opinions. Deal with it.
Yup...

Personally I NEVER care what a critic thinks or says. If the movie looks interesting that decides for me if I want to see it or not.

LBPound 02-16-03 09:14 AM

I liked Episode I a lot more than Episode II as well. Does that mean I've lost it?

wm lopez 02-16-03 09:17 AM

I too liked Episode 1 more than 2.

Corvin 02-16-03 09:28 AM

Originally posted by d2cheer
Personally I NEVER care what a critic thinks or says. If the movie looks interesting that decides for me if I want to see it or not.
Never? Even if every critic around the country from every respectable source is praising [insert film], this won't sway your opinion in the slightest?

My general rule of thumb is I'll never let a critic tell me what not to see, but I will let a critic show me what to see.

Till again.

Skank 02-16-03 10:17 AM

I preferred Episode I to II as well. Haven't seen DD yet...

badger1997 02-16-03 10:23 AM

And why shouldn't he like the effects in the Spy Kids movies? It shows how a creative director can use little money by todays terms and make some decent effects using techniques pioneered by people like Harryhausen. In the age of over-digitalized effects, it's refreshing to see somebody suceed with even passable effects doing it on the cheap.

effigy 02-16-03 11:19 AM

Yup...

Same here D. Same here.

Tyler_Durden 02-16-03 11:24 AM

Re: Daredevil ... more proof that Roger Ebert has lost it.

Originally posted by cactusoly
For example .... Roger panned Spiderman yet praised Daredevil.
What?! The difference in the star ratings he gave to those films is half a star! Half a star! I think it's someone else who's insane. :)

Tyler_Durden 02-16-03 11:29 AM

That's a shame. Critics can lead you away from films that look good because the studio compiled all the good moments into the two-minute trailer. They can help you find terrific films that weren't granted proper advertising or got shafted with the NC-17 rating by the MPAA. They can help you appreciate cinema you've never heard of. They can increase your knowledge of specific films or film in general with their insight. And lastly, a good review can be a fantastic read (case in point: Pauline Kael).

effigy 02-16-03 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
That's a shame. Critics can lead you away from films that look good because the studio compiled all the good moments into the two-minute trailer. They can help you find terrific films that weren't granted proper advertising or got shafted with the NC-17 rating by the MPAA. They can help you appreciate cinema you've never heard of. They can increase your knowledge of specific films or film in general with their insight. And lastly, a good review can be a fantastic read (case in point: Pauline Kael).
.... or not.

I leave all of that to myself. I know how to find new, unadvertised films. I know how to find old, unknown films, etc. I can't stand critics, nor you silly people who try and act like pro-critics. For example, some total moron who hasn't even read the Daredevil comics, trying to bash the movie! That's by far ignorant IMO. I don't care for others opinions on anything, let alone movies. Hell, I like IDBM's rating system, but even if a movie I'm about to watch got an very low overall rating, I still watch it .. I just don't let other people influance what I like, or don't like. I'll figure that out myself.

Tyler_Durden 02-16-03 01:36 PM

Originally posted by effigy
For example, some total moron who hasn't even read the Daredevil comics, trying to bash the movie!
That's incredibly faulty logic. The movies should be able to stand on their own legs. Consider the following: I've never read a single page of Spider-Man comics. I thought the movie was very good, and I can tell you why. I also haven't read a single page of X-Men comics. I thought that movie was very good too, and I can tell you why. Now, will you say I'm a "total moron" for trying to praise these movies? Of course not. So why shouldn't people who haven't read the comics also have the right to bash comic-book movies if they can explain their opinions?

calhoun07 02-16-03 02:02 PM

I guess I am insane because I agree with the points raised in Ebert's review. I think Daredevil is the best dark superhero movie in a long, long time. Watching it, I was thinking that the people who made this movie could teach DC and Warner Brothers a thing or two about making a good dark hero movie, such as Batman, a franchise they totally let fall into the crapper.

Ebert's review makes me think he still has it, actually.

MrN 02-16-03 02:09 PM

I don't think Ebert is insane, but he is off on his DD review.

Robert 02-16-03 02:20 PM

Ebert's review had me :lol:

They grew up together in Marvel comics, sometimes sharing the same adventures, but you won't see them fraternizing in the movies because their rights are owned by different studios.

She and Daredevil are powerfully attracted to each other, and even share some PG-13 sex, which is a relief because when superheroes have sex at the R level, I am always afraid someone will get hurt.

Jay G. 02-16-03 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
Never? Even if every critic around the country from every respectable source is praising [insert film], this won't sway your opinion in the slightest?
I'd say never is too strong a word, but personally a critic, or even every critic, praising or panning a certain film isn't going to be the deciding factor in seeing a film.

For example, A Beautiful Mind got rave reviews, and even won Best Picture. However, from the trailers and reviews I've read, it really doesn't look like a film that I would enjoy seeing, so I haven't watched it. Conversely, Human Nature got fairly well panned last year, but I decided to go see it anyway and loved it.

Movie reviews are just one of many ways a person can decide what film to see or not.

Hokeyboy 02-16-03 03:01 PM

Geeze, every time some hyperventilating fanboy doesn't agree with Ebert, they always end up posting here that Ebert has "lost it".

Ebert "lost it" when he didn't like Gladiator.

Ebert "lost it" when he didn't love Spiderman.

Ebert "lost it" when he didn't like SW II: AOTC.

Ebert "lost it" etc. etc. etc..

Good grief! People can't have different opinions than you? Or should all critics agree with the masses 100% of the time?!?!

No one claimed Ebert "lost it" when he panned Scooby-Doo or Armageddon...

jaeufraser 02-16-03 04:26 PM

I just don't understand the criticism always levied against Roger Ebert. Movie reviews are there for us to read if we want. If we want some informed advice about movies, we turn to movie reviews. But singling out critics because of their opinions on individual movies is ridiculous. His opinion on Daredevil is off? How is that possible? Why does Ebert gett so much criticism? I like him as a critic, and while I don't always agree with him I thought he always makes a good case why he liked or disliked a particular feature. Sure, sometimes he is more picky about things than others, but who on this planet is completely consitent on what forms their opinions? The one thing I feel is that his reviews will be honest and well written and convey the reasons <i>he</i> liked or disliked a movie. Why don't we bag on critics who seem to be quote whores and like every single movie in existence? Instead we nitpick a Ebert who, even though he has dissenting opinions on some fan favorites, is also an excellent writer and quite a film buff. Does it matter if he gave a marginal thumbs up to a bad movie or a marginal thumbs down to a big movie that he didn't care for? That's where he stood on those movies...c'est la vie. I mean, this guy is nitpicking him because he liked Daredevil a little more than Spiderman. Umm, is he wrong? I don't think so...that's probably how he felt. So, why don't we stop complaining about critics from now on...it's getting old. Movie criticism can be a valuable resource, but if you feel it's not then ignore it. And if you don't want to rely on one critics opinion, go to rotten tomatos and get an idea of what everyone thinks. But complaining "they don't agree with me they must be insane!" is just silly...I see too many threads like this.

paratize 02-16-03 04:37 PM

[ sarcasm ]Lock Ebert up now and throw away the key man! This guy needs a straight-jacket stat!! I mean how could he possibly have liked DAREDEVIL over SPIDEY - that's just totally insane man![ /sarcasm ]

Duh, News Flash Peter Parker fans: not everyone loved Spider-Man (myself included!). Get over it.

theneobez 02-16-03 06:33 PM

He hasn't lost it, we all disagree with each other at some point and time. Generally, I agree with him, and if I don't, I look to his writing to see why he didn't like it.