Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most overrated movie?

Old 02-15-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most overrated movie?

I nominate Field of Dreams as the most overrated movie of all-time; I think it is beyond stupid. A guy with no personality builds a ballpark so racist Ty Cobb and crooked Joe Jackson can help him play catch with (and not talk to) his father? Any other nominees?
Old 02-15-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I see is hatred coming up no matter what people post (this should be merged into the unpopular movie opinion thread by the way), but my easy answers are:

[mho]The Matrix and Usual Suspects, two terribly boring movies, one of which relies on "woah" special effects that weren't interesting to start with to cover up its horrible script and unbelievably bad acting.

The other relies on a twist ending to make everyone's jaw drop, but like the end of eXistenZ, by the time it got to that point, I just didn't give a ****.

[/mho]
Old 02-15-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me it was "The English Patient".

I enjoyed "Field of Dreams" as some sort of fantasy movie and JonTurner, Keyser Soze is gonna get ya for what you said
Old 02-15-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
The Deer Hunter
Coming Home
English Patient
Nearly any film made in the U.S in the 1950's(excluding the Billy Wilder stuff, amongst others)
Cabaret
Out of Africa
Ordinary People
Donnie Darko
Chicago
The Hidden Fortress(amongst Kurosawa's weakest in my book)
Casablanca(great film, but perhaps OVER praised)
Old 02-15-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fellowship of the Ring... decent movie, but i think the flick and Peter Jackson are way over rated.
Old 02-15-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Magnolia -- overpraised beyond belief. Talk about too much sizzle with absolutely no steak...
Old 02-15-03, 11:32 PM
Banned

Most overrated movie?

2001 A Space Odyssey
Old 02-15-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10 that come to mind...
Dances With Wolves (Field of Dreams is the ONE Kevin Costner film I actually like)
Gladiator
A Clockwork Orange (appalling the praise it gets)
Dr. Strangelove
Singin' in the Rain
Annie Hall (not bad, but not a 'great film')
Manhattan (pretty bad)
The General
The Searchers
Fight Club

And I'll agree with the Lord of the Rings films being extremely overrated, though i don't feel they're bad. Casablanca is overrated, too, undoubtedly.
Old 02-15-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well let's see

The Fast and the Furious
xXx
Scarface
Pearl Harbor
I second Magnolia- I wanted to kill myself after watching it.
Old 02-16-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Most overrated movie?

Originally posted by cleaver
I nominate Field of Dreams as the most overrated movie of all-time; I think it is beyond stupid. A guy with no personality builds a ballpark so racist Ty Cobb and crooked Joe Jackson can help him play catch with (and not talk to) his father? Any other nominees?
Dude, you've got it all wrong I just watched it today, and Joe Jackson said that Ty Cobb wanted to come play, but none of the players could stand him when he was alive so they wouldn't let him come. Not only that, but Ray Kinsella does talk to his dad.
Just wanted to clear that up
By the way, I think that My Big Fat Greek Wedding is way too overrated. I liked it and all, but ultimately it's just an average romantic comedy.
Old 02-16-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CITIZEN KANE

MATT
Old 02-16-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rosebud...

Originally posted by mdc3000
CITIZEN KANE

MATT

[Orson Wells]Yes..Rosebud peas. Full of country goodness and green pea-ness...wait that sounds horrible Im leaving....oh a handful for the road. What luck! Theres a french fry lodged in my beard[Orson Wells]

Herere I love the critic
Old 02-16-03, 12:32 AM

I'm sorry but I have to agree that The Matrix is way overrated, while I do think its a decent film and is a fun watch sometimes I don't believe it deserves all the praise it receives. The movie relies majorly on its special effects, which while considerably impressive should never entirely carry a film as they did in The Matrix. The acting in the film is very sub-par, especially from Keanu Reeves who hasn't done much worth watching since Bill & Ted. All in all I don't completely hate the movie, I think the story is pretty original and the special effects & action are pretty cool, but I don't' think it deserves all the praise some people shower on it.

Another film which i feel is pretty overrated that I recently purchased solely based on word of mouth from here and other sites was Boondock Saints. While once again I was somewhat impressed with the gunplay and the coolness of the 2 main characters I felt that the story was very lacking and exaggerated. I'm not one who feels all movies have to be realistic, but this movie seemed as though it was kind of confused as to what it wanted to be, on one hand you see the potential of a good crime drama such as Quentin Tarintino's works or something like The Professional, but then you get these amateur guys dropping through a roof hanging by their feet and taking out 9 seasoned mobsters. It just doesn't work for me, while the action scenes were cool they were also every one absurdly exaggerated.

Last edited by PolloDiablo; 02-16-03 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-16-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
Requiem for a Dream
Old 02-16-03, 12:42 AM

My big fat greek wedding i don't see the big deal.
Old 02-16-03, 12:55 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Ghost World
Fargo
Old 02-16-03, 01:18 AM

[imo]2001, french connection, donnie darko, ghost world, apocalypse now (& redux), sixth sense, ran, gladiator, others that i don't recall off hand. i could go on another life without watching these again (and i own 3).
Old 02-16-03, 01:27 AM
Banned

Two words: Star Wars
Old 02-16-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saving Private Ryan
Old 02-16-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Most overrated movie?

Originally posted by cleaver
Undoubtedly one of the worst descriptions of a movie plot I have ever read. Whenever I read somebody's decription of a movie plot and it has obvious errors in it, it makes it very hard for me to take that person's on a movie very seriously. If you weren't watching closely enough to pick up the plot, how can I trust your valuation of the film.

And by your ridiculing of him playing catch with his father, I gather you weren't a baseball player growing up. When my friend saw this he started crying because he always played catch growing up with his dad but they had grown apart before his dad died. It really resonated with him.

And some of us would argue with the "crooked" nametag you want to hang on Joe Jackson. The man had a great performance in the World Series. He may have made a stupid move and took some money, but there is NO way he was throwing any games or giving less than all he had in those games.

As for the original question in the thread, I would say Goodfellas. Especially around here I get tired of the praise that heaped on this film. When some people around here write about that film I get the idea they get all starry eyed over the film. For the record, I liked it and enjoyed it, but I don't feel it's quite the masterpiece some people feel it is.

Oh, and in my opinion, both of the Lord of the Rings movies are grossly overrated, especially around these parts online.

Last edited by badger1997; 02-16-03 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-16-03, 08:49 AM
Banned

Casablanca
Gladiator
The Matrix
A Beatiful Mind (Best Picture Oscar was a joke!)
Old 02-16-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pulp Fiction
Old 02-16-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
[imo]2001, french connection, donnie darko, ghost world, apocalypse now (& redux), sixth sense, ran, gladiator, others that i don't recall off hand. i could go on another life without watching these again (and i own 3).
How could I forget that one? It might be the worst highly praised film I've seen...and I've seen hundreds.

Just my opinion, of course...but it stinks.
Old 02-16-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Pulp Fiction
-Any Kubrick movie besides 2001 (a masterpiece) and eyes wide shut (underrated); this especially includes the Shining and Dr. Strangelove.
-Amelie (cute, but IMDB top 20? now way!)
- Raising Arizona
Old 02-16-03, 10:28 AM

Il Postino

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.