Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantom of the opera to be directed by the Batman franchise killer!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-15-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yep Joel Schumacher

Joel Schumacher is to direct The Phantom Of The Opera, a feature version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit stage musical which UK-based sales outfit Odyssey Entertainment will launch at next week's AFM market.

Warner Bros. Pictures, which owned the film rights until Lloyd Webber recently bought them back, retains the option to distribute the film in North America. Principal photography will begin in the autumn in the UK. Casting is to be announced, although Antonio Banderas has long been linked to the project.

"I'm thrilled to have the rights back for the film version of Phantom and to have such a brilliant director on board," said Lloyd Webber, who will produce through his company, Really Useful Films. "We now have the opportunity and the freedom to make the film that Joel and I have always talked about making."

Lloyd Webber said that the stage musical, for which he wrote the music, was the largest-grossing stage or screen production in the world, with a world-wide box office of more than $3.2bn.

Odyssey's Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill added: "Taking the world's biggest single entertainment franchise to our international distribution partners at the AFM is an enormously exciting opportunity and speaks volumes about what we are trying to achieve at Odyssey."
Old 02-15-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO - Batman has sucked since the very first one. I don't think J.S. had alot to do with it.
Old 02-15-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I don't really care about Phantom but they'd better get a better director if they ever get around to doing the oft postponed Les Misérables.
Old 02-15-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait for the crotch close-ups
Old 02-15-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh
I can't wait for the crotch close-ups
I thought he was the king of the male nipple shots on the costumes. Now if he only did it for Batgirl as well.
Old 02-21-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They really have been talking about it for years. Here are portions of a multi-page ad in Variety in 1990:

Old 02-21-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blech.

With the exception of Tigerland, this man's created a lot of crap. I still have hope for Phone Booth... but by seeing it, I will have again broken my vow to never watch another film directed by Joel Suckmaker. 8mm was the last straw. I suppose Tigerland did earn him a temporary reprieve...
Old 02-21-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not sure, this may be a good choice. One of the reasons that I did not like the Batman movies directed by him, were that they were very stylized and over the top. The over the top, theatrical nature of the theatre may be perfect for him.
Old 02-21-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
IMO - Batman has sucked since the very first one. I don't think J.S. had alot to do with it.
my sentiments exactly.
Old 02-21-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is it still going to be michael crawford and sarah brightman?
Old 02-21-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heard they were casting Vin Diesel and Shakira, to reach that "hip young kids" audience
Old 02-21-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the idiot Harvey Weinstein wanted to cast Madonna and Britney Spears for Chicago to get to that teen audience and have Spears do a video for it. That movie would have sucked since both can't act.
Old 02-21-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hgar78
is it still going to be michael crawford and sarah brightman?
I seriously doubt Brightman will be in it. The reason for the film getting delayed more than ten years ago was Webber's divorce from her. Besides, she's probably not young enough at this point anyway. I read somewhere that Webber says they're going with an unknown, but who knows?

However, I sure hope they cast Crawford as the Phantom. Over at phantommovie.com a group of fans are campaigning to get him in the movie. They've spent some serious money for ads in Variety over the past few years.
Old 02-22-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see how you can make this thing without Crawford. I've seen Banderas perform the role, but it's just nowhere near the same league. I guess they've also mentioned Jackman, whom I really like, but again, I just can't imagine it. I can't see any argument against Crawford. While I also can't picture making this thing without Brightman, I can understand an argument that she's too old for the role and can more easily picture an unknown in the role of Christine than a moviestar in the title role. Still, it wouldn't bother me a bit to see both of them perform it together again. Then again, I was pretty vehemently opposed to Madonna for Evita, and while she was completely upstaged by Banderas, I didn't think she did a poor job.

What I want to know is where's the buzz about Meat Loaf? Huh? Eh? Ok, maybe not.

das
Old 02-22-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-22-03, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I'll add a and raise you a
Old 02-22-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman Forever was the most fun a Batman movie has been, in my opinion. Yeah, Batman & Robin sucked. But The Client, Falling Down, and A Time to Kill were all good-to-great. I think Joel Schumacher deserves better than "the Batman franchise killer."
Old 02-22-03, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound
But The Client, Falling Down, and A Time to Kill were all good-to-great.
But of course he'll always be scarred because of Batman & Robin, just like Jason Bateman will be scarred because of...well, his career.If anyone can remember it.