Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Question about "The Shining" story plot

Old 02-14-03, 10:49 AM
Banned

Question about "The Shining" story plot

Would somebody explain the story plot of "The Shining" to me please. I've seen the movie multiple times and I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite horror movie of all time but I don't get some parts of the story. Here's a list below......

1. Why is there blood leaking from the elevator doors? Does it have something to do with the hotel being haunted by Mr. Grady and the previous murders?

2. Why can Mrs. Torence see dead skeleton's in the main lobby at the end of the movie?

3. Is Jack's conversation with Mr. Grady in his head or a ghost?

4. Why does Jack's face appear in the "Overlook Hotel July 4th, 1921 Ball" photo?

5. Was Jack previously married and the previous caretaker too?

Somebody please help me out here.
Old 02-14-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Because it's scary.

2. Because they are trying to scare her.

3. With a ghost.

4. Becasue he has entered into the hotel's "history". He's become part of the evils of the hotel.

5. No
Old 02-14-03, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sherm42
1. Because it's scary.

3. With a ghost.

4. Becasue he has entered into the hotel's "history". He's become part of the evils of the hotel.

5. No
1. I don't think that really answers the question of why blood was leaking. A storywriter just doesn't put something like that into the story because it's scary.

2. But who was trying to scare her?
Old 02-14-03, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by flyingbee22
1. I don't think that really answers the question of why blood was leaking. A storywriter just doesn't put something like that into the story because it's scary.

2. But who was trying to scare her?
1. Sure they do. It looks scary. I don't think that scene was in the book. There is really no particular reason for it to be there except that it is scary.

2. The hotel is the evil entity. I'm not really a fan of the movie. It simply doesn't go into what is behind the horror. In the book, the evil forces are really an accumulation of all the bad things that have happened in the hotel over the many years of existence.
Old 02-14-03, 11:06 AM

Re: Question about "The Shining" story plot

1. Why is there blood leaking from the elevator doors?
Bit more than a leak, eh?

Does it have something to do with the hotel being haunted by Mr. Grady and the previous murders?
It more has to do with the hotel being this capsule of time and evil than anything deliberately communicated.

2. Why can Mrs. Torence see dead skeleton's in the main lobby at the end of the movie?
Because the hotel is forcing her to shine same way Jack was.

With the hotel. Grady refers to himself as we.

4. Why does Jack's face appear in the "Overlook Hotel July 4th, 1921 Ball" photo?
Because he was previously there, though not in this incarnation.

Sure, listen to Grady. "Sir, you've always been the caretaker."

Sorry, all I can do is to help confuse the issue. Have fun!
Old 02-14-03, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sherm42
1. Because it's scary.

3. With a ghost.

5. No
4. Do other people see Jack's face in the ballroom photo though?
Old 02-14-03, 11:10 AM

4. Do other people see Jack's face in the ballroom photo though?
I don't know. I think the point is that no one ever really looks.
Old 02-14-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grady was the caretaker in 1970. But, when he appears to Jack Torrance, he's a waiter.

(sorry to add to your confusion.)
Old 02-14-03, 11:16 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Question about "The Shining" story plot

Originally posted by sundog
1. Why is there blood leaking from the elevator doors?
Bit more than a leak, eh?

Does it have something to do with the hotel being haunted by Mr. Grady and the previous murders?
It more has to do with the hotel being this capsule of time and evil than anything deliberately communicated.

Because the hotel is forcing her to shine same way Jack was.

With the hotel. Grady refers to himself as we.

Because he was previously there, though not in this incarnation.

Sure, listen to Grady. "Sir, you've always been the caretaker."

Sorry, all I can do is to help confuse the issue. Have fun!
Seems to me that this person's answer is totally different then everybody elses and seems to be incorrect. How could Jack previously be at the hotel?
Old 02-14-03, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Question about "The Shining" story plot

Seems to me that this person's answer is totally different then everybody elses and seems to be incorrect. How could Jack previously be at the hotel?
The is answer is different, because it's right! Heh. Actually a review I came across a while ago had an interesting correlation to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

paraphrased:
"If god can be a giant black slab, then why can't the devil be a bartender named Lloyd?"

Think of the Overlook as kind of a complement to the "hotel room" in 2001. It's a vestige of time and memory that reflects the beings inside it. So is Jack doing all the Shining in a loop? I really don't know where I can go with this. But I do think that Kubrick deliberately creates holes to bring doubt about the sequence of events and their significance. It's like a great big melting pot of concsciousness.

But I can't provide any concrete answers.
Old 02-14-03, 12:02 PM

I think Kubrick messed it up. Sorry to bash the film, but it really does not do justice to the source material. If you truly want to delve into meaning behind the Overlook, I strongly urge you to read the book. It's so much scarier than the movie.
Old 02-14-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread is proof positive of what I pointed out here > http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=270013

ALL Kubrick films have multiple interpretations based on the individual... It's up to you to find the answers for yourself.
Old 02-14-03, 12:19 PM

I've read the book, and at times it has scarier moments than the Kubrick film. In fact, the first half of Full Metal Jacket is scarier than anything in The Shining movie. But I also think Kubrick distances his film far enough away that the scare is not the meat of the film. Just as The Shining novel is very indicative of King's style of writing, the film is a more obvious example of Kubrick's own pet themes: dehumanization, breakdown of systems, duality and doubling etc.

Two different animals, and in respect to each artist's work, I try not to glean clues from one to clarify the other.
Old 02-14-03, 12:33 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kubrick's version is better than King's.

flyingbee: do a search for the shining. here's some good sites.
http://www.drummerman.net/shining/
http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/h...g/shining.html
http://www.houseofhorrors.com/shining.htm
Old 02-14-03, 03:50 PM
Banned

I love how it's his favorite movie but his questions reveal he understands almost none of it. Wonder why he likes it?
Old 02-14-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. It's like a nightmare. And it's scary. The hotel is supposed to be evil and haunted.

2. Because the Overlook's evil increased with Jack's madness.

3. Maybe a bit of both.

4. Because it's symbolic of the hotel's evil claiming him. Was he actually there? I guess that's a mystery to which we will never know the answer.

5. ?
Old 02-15-03, 04:18 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I love how it's his favorite movie but his questions reveal he understands almost none of it. Wonder why he likes it?
His questions don't reveal that at all, IMO. I think he has a grasp on the underlying story that's taking place in The Shining, and can appreciate the acting, great scenery, direction, etc. of the film. More than enough to declare that something is your favorite film of a given genre I think. It is Kubrick, so it can be confusing however. I just think that it is natural to be able to appreciate a film without understanding every single bit of it, but he seems to understand what is important.