Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Go see DAREDEVIL!!!

Old 02-13-03, 10:27 PM

Go see DAREDEVIL!!!

Just got back from an early screening of Daredevil and whoa man! This film is so cool...it exceeded my expectations! I am a comic book fan and Daredevil is my favorite superhero, but Affleck playing Murdock kinda worried me (I mean Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms yo...). Anyway, he did a great job, but an even more likeable performance was by Jon Favreau who played Foggy Nelson. He does a great job and is pretty funny. And the cameo by Kevin Smith was great! Very funny. The film flew by as I was so into it. Very fast paced and not a dry moment. It seemed as though it was only 45 minutes to an hour long. Very entertaining and very cool! I am so glad to be a comic fan and especially a daredevil fan! I liked this film better than spiderman but I am biased for being a huge DD fan. The only thing it is missing is Sam Raimi. Anyway, go see it as soon as you can! You shouldn't be left down...and if you are a fan of comics and DD you should love it. There are noticeable differences from the comic but it adds its element to it that doesn't upset us fanboys!
Oh and Jennifer Gardner is amazing! she looks so beautiful in this movie. Collin Farrell is a badass too!
Old 02-13-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yea, go see the movie. They did a fine job!!
Old 02-13-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i've given my views. I'm not a hardcore fan; I only followed Frank Millers run on the comic but I was disappointed. My non-comic fan friend didn't like it much either.
Old 02-13-03, 11:40 PM

Yes, everyone, go see this movie. It's not perfect but it puts you in the shoe of a superhero like no other films can.

I'm worried that this film does not do well. It won't do as well as Spider-man or X-Men, but I'm hoping it'll do well enough to warrant sequels and other films like it. I bought Spider-man and X-men on DVD but I sold them after a 2nd viewing. They just seemed shallower. With Daredevil, I suspect the opposite. There would be details that you'll realize on multiple viewings and get you closer to the charater.
Old 02-13-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh the plants are out tonight.. ummawe.. ummawe..

oh PLEASE. This film has depth? about as much as a puddle in the bronx.

I'll just say; the trailer is about as exciting and deep as the film goes. If you really want to get a feel of Daredevil, buy the graphic novels. This movie is a decent way to spend 1.5 hours but that's it.

Last edited by Krug; 02-13-03 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 11:54 PM
Banned

LOL, xDareDevilx, I'm sure your view might be just "slightly" biased, no?

I'll check it out tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-14-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The New York Times review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/14/mo...l?pagewanted=1

SOMETIMES playing a comic-book hero gives actors a chance to show suave, stylized moves. After stripping off their civvies, they emerge from the phone booth a star. Christopher Reeve gave a breezy, farcical charge to Superman and Clark Kent. As Batman and his alter ego, the wastrel playboy Bruce Wayne, Michael Keaton seemed to have a thousand things on his mind, most of them unpleasant. Hugh Jackman, Wolverine of "X-Men," had a combative, compulsive snarl. He came to life when prodded to fight.

But poor Ben Affleck is lost in the minor, passable "Daredevil," where he portrays the blind, red-costumed and horn-headed crime fighter whose other senses — hearing, touch, taste — were exaggerated in the chemical accident that cost him his sight.

A big man, Mr. Affleck is shriveled by the one-dimensional role. Even his scarlet leather outfit makes him diminutive. The interlocked double D on his left breast makes him look like part of the food-service industry: "Hi, I'm Daredevil, and I'll be your superhero this evening."

The director, Mark Steven Johnson, who adapted the Marvel Comics hero for the big screen, missteps in a way new to comic-book movies. Instead of telegraphing a patronizing attitude toward Daredevil, Mr. Johnson is too worshipful of the idiom's conventions. His affection for the character leaves overly sincere puddles every step of the way.
As a director, Mr. Johnson is as hobbled as Matt Murdock. He lacks a sense of scale, without a redeeming facility to make up for it. Much of "Daredevil" is set in the same dark night of the soul as the first "Batman." Rats scurry through the dank, wet streets, and twisted stone gargoyles linger in the corridors of most buildings. ... And in several scenes Daredevil scurries up walls in a way that doesn't make sense for someone with no superpowers to speak of. He seems to have been bitten by the same radioactive spider that attacked Tobey Maguire in "Spider-Man."
Old 02-14-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oh great, another shill!
Old 02-14-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I just got back from the advance screening too, I thought that movie was good. I agree that the movie did go by pretty damn quick. I thought it was going to be a 2 hr plus movie and it ended up being around 1hr 40mins. Even though they changed somethings, overall they did a good job with the movie and I really enjoyed it. heh, jennifer garner was definately hot in the movie. I thought the fight with Kingpin was going to be longer.

On a side note, can any of you guys tell me what song that was playing when they had Elektra working out and fighting the the sandbags. thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Excelesor
On a side note, can any of you guys tell me what song that was playing when they had Elektra working out and fighting the the sandbags. thanks in advance.
Nevermind, I figured it out.
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life if anyone wanted to know.
Old 02-14-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rotten my dear watson!

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Oh great, another shill!
Yeah what I thought too. 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 0% from the Cream of the Crop.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Daredevil-1120302/

"It is a superhero story to which they brought the superhero but not the story."
-- Eugene Novikov, ULTIMATE MOVIES!

"Ironically, the problem with 'Daredevil' is that it takes absolutely no risks...even when you're watching it for the first time, it feels like a movie you've already seen."
-- Frank Swietek, ONE GUY'S OPINION

"A colossal misfire, Daredevil is the Battlefield Earth of superhero films, which isn't surprising given its pairing of charisma-free actor Ben Affleck (Pearl Harbor) with saccharine writer/director Mark Steven Johnson (Simon Birch)."
-- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS

(Well I wouldn't go THAT far. )
Old 02-14-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

---minor spoilers------

I liked it. I'm not even a Daredevil fan. Some CGI's looked really fake but oh well not everything is perfect. Bullseye was a cool villain, one of the best in years...maybe ever. Jeniffer Garner looked really hot and her action scenes weren't bad at all. Affleck was convincing as a blind person. Kingpin was whatever, I expected the fight to be longer. A very entertaining movie, I'll get this one on dvd for sure. It's not as campy as Spider Man (which i liked as well), more serious. Oh yeah that was cool how they showed Murdock's scars. it tells the audience he's not invincible.
Old 02-14-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know I just saw DD for the third time last night, and I have to say that I really did enjoy this movie. I really don't like Affleck in anything but a Kevin Smith movie. But his portrayal of Matt Murdock was quite good. Being a lifelong comic-fan, I thought this movie was going to suck with Affleck in the lead. My expectations were shot down though. I'm not going to get in to why they were shot down, I'll just leave this up to you to see this weekend. The thing that is really pissing me off is most of the reviewers for this movie are or were never comic readers. They don't know how Murdock was in the comics (personality and looks) so they judge comic-based movies on mainstream Hollywood standards. Whatever, no need to go on about so-called 'professional reviewers' anymore. Long story short: go see this movie, it will be well worth your money.

On a side-note: Go see 'Old School' as soon as it comes out (2.21 I believe). I have seen this movie 4 times now, and have laughed throughout the entire movie every time. Will Ferrel rules in this movie.
Old 02-14-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Elvis Mitchell is obviously a comic book reader and gave it a bad review.

What's with all these plants? Looks like the studios going overtime to make sure it does well at the box office.
Old 02-14-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why is everyone accusing him of being a plant? Biased yes, since he's obviously a Daredevil fan, but he's been around for almost a year.

Last edited by rabbit77; 02-14-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-14-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's quite a silly film.

If anyone thinks that Colin Farrell is undeserving of his attention now, they're quite wrong. Greatest intro ever. He stole this film.

Then again, it's not like the film wasn't anyone's for the taking. It didn't feel right to me - the effects were very clean (apart from the Blue "radar"), so that didn't spoil it; the script wasn't up to snuff, and sometimes the actors didn't seem to know who they were supposed to be, or something. I can't really vocalize - again, it just didn't feel right.

Did anyone else think the Quesada barfight scene was ridiculous?

Can you think of any great/funny lines? Favreau was good with his quips, though you took them for granted with him.

As for the trailers - I can't figure out if "Head Of State" is a bigger ripoff of "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" or "Ali G Indahouse", and the cast of "X-Men 2" sure look snazzy. I mean, that Pyro dude? He's dreamy. We could be brothers.

Bring on a "Bullseye" movie. With nothing but wall-to-wall House Of Pain instead of melodious teen-pandering unmerciful crap.
Old 02-14-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it too, it was a lot darker than I thought it would be. The action sequences were cool and the way they portrayed his other 4 senses on film was really nice.
Old 02-14-03, 09:45 AM

Yes, I thought that it was darker than it would be too! I didn't think DD would be as revengeful as he turned out to be in this film (considering it is a superhero movie and obviously kids will be a huge attraction for this film). I forgot that my name is xDareDevilx...hehe...i guess that might make me a little bit biased...hehe.

Oh and as for the plant, I think Krug was talking about steebo777.

Anyway, go see this! Even if you don't like it that well and think it's silly, you should enjoy Favreau and Farrell's performances! And you should definitely enjoy the eye candy that is Jennifer Gardner!
Old 02-14-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it last night. I was unimpressed. The fight scenes were great (which you'd expect, since the ones that weren't lifted straight from the Matrix were lifted straight from Spider-Man). Farrell and Favreau stole the film. The characters were too undeveloped, though. Daredevil too was too unlikable in the first half, and his darkness didn't jibe with his origin. His character development seemd to be missing a few steps; it seemed like he abruptly changed his viewpoint on how to be a superhero midway through the film.

I give it a 6/10. Worth seeing for the fights, but not a classic like Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman, or Superman. On the other hand, it beats Dolph Lundgren's Punisher and Matt Salinger's Captain America.

Oh, and for those keeping track, I'm a comics fan.
Old 02-14-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to see Daredevil tonight. I really didn't expect the New York Times to give it a good review. And this Steve Rhodes guy, when did the dude from Married With Children become a film critic?

okay all kidding aside....

I've been reading some of the comments and I'm getting the impression that alot of people are going in thinking that this is going to be a huge, effects laden superhero story, ala Spider-Man. One of the things that set Daredevil apart was that he's not really a "super hero" in the traditional sense. He can't fly, he can't stick to walls, he can't summon thunder and lightning. Daredevil was one of the comics in the Marvel universe that relied more on story than super powers. While the Fantastic Four were off battling Galactus somewhere, Matt Murdock was busy trying to rescue his ex girlfriend Karen Page from drug addiction. While the Silver Surfer was trying to find his home planet, Matt Murdock was stumbling around Hell's Kitchen after the Kingpin destroyed his personal life. So in that sense it's a very different take on the super hero mythos.

With that said I'm just hoping it's a decent film.
Old 02-14-03, 11:12 AM

I did a screening for this last night at Downtown Disney. Wow this film was full cameos with Stan lee , Frank Miller, Kevin Smith, and John Romita . The film it self was alright. I 'm not sure if it was my theater or the film, but I counted 2wice were the music goes bad. One after the "love scene" and the other when with daredevil over the rooftop.
Old 02-14-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Krug
Elvis Mitchell is obviously a comic book reader and gave it a bad review.

What's with all these plants? Looks like the studios going overtime to make sure it does well at the box office.
Reviews are simply one person's opinion. Why does the person who likes DareDevil have to be a "plant"?

So if Elvis Mitchell (whoever that is) gives it a bad review AND he's a comic book reader that is supposed to make his opinion more weighty than anyone else?

I love comics. Been reading since I was a kid (and I'm 43). Read DareDevil a lot in my youth, and I'm really looking forward to the movie.

See the movie, or not. Who cares who likes it?

Me, I have tix for tonight.
Old 02-14-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what you're talking about Krug. I don't work for a studio, and I didn't 'plant' anything. Just giving props to a good movie IMO. I know I'm a new member and all, but take it easy man. No hard feelings though homie.
Old 02-14-03, 02:01 PM

it's a comic book movie so daredevil can jump everywhere without having superhuman powers. some people need to pick up a freakin comic book. if people don't like farfetched things, stay away from movies based on comics. DD surpassed my expectations. it was better than spider-man, some scenes were directly stolen from some of frank miller's DD run. Marvel is getting it right where WB and DC are in the toilet.
Old 02-14-03, 02:09 PM
Banned

The reviews have just been Horrible and they say the worst part about the movie is Benny himself.
Some of the reviews even said that Colin Farrel would have been better at the role.
I think they changed Elecktras character from an assassin to just someone hell bent on revenge and of course a romantic interest.
So Hollywood.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.