Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Go see DAREDEVIL!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Go see DAREDEVIL!!!

Old 02-25-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See? That's the thing...I don't know!

I know it doesn't make any sense and it's not like i'm sitting here saying "Oh, so-and-so would've made a better [xxx]..." because i'm not. I've liked Michael in everything i've seen him in so far...and he was good in this too...it just didn't seem like Kingpin to me..and I really can't think of anyone that could fill the role to fit the "idea" of Kingpin that's been impressed upon me by the damn comic.

...make sense?

Old 02-25-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
See? That's the thing...I don't know!

I know it doesn't make any sense and it's not like i'm sitting here saying "Oh, so-and-so would've made a better [xxx]..." because i'm not. I've liked Michael in everything i've seen him in so far...and he was good in this too...it just didn't seem like Kingpin to me..and I really can't think of anyone that could fill the role to fit the "idea" of Kingpin that's been impressed upon me by the damn comic.

...make sense?

Well to me Wilson Fisk, is nothing more than a bully with a lot of guys who do the work for him. I think they portrayed this in the movie quiet well. I mean think about it, he's rich, powerful, and what does he do? He just bosses people around avoiding all contact. The Kingpin is another sort of evil, and not your run of the mill "bwaa hahahahahah Im gonna destroy you" evil. Its almost sophisticated, but also very street thug, because he does nothing for himself.
Old 02-25-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC
Is the sensory deprivation chamber thingy from the comics? I don't remember ever seeing it.
what if he wants to sleep on his side? looks pretty dangerous to me...
Old 02-25-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by caipirina
well .. i thought he'd found it after she lost it after the fight with bullseye ... it just got stuck and it was a nice, somewhat positive touch ...

but then again .. it was kind of open ended ... but .,..
Spoiler:
why does he say "you killed the only 2 people i loved" ??? maybe he really thought at that moment that it was like that ???
Spoiler:
I could see where people would think it was open-ended, but to me it wasn't at all. He THOUGHT she was dead, that's why he said that. But she's not; her pendant wasn't in braille (he said he wished they'd make one like that in braille, or something like), so she had to have had it made especially for him. No reason for her to have had it with her before the fight with bullseye, since she wasn't going there expect to find Matt Murdock--she was busy seeking vengance. So, they obviously saved her (just because your hot stops doesn't mean you'll stay dead, after all), and she came back later and left it where she knew he'd find it.
Old 02-26-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Out of curiosity, is the other Evanecance song played during
Spoiler:
Elektra's Father's funeral?
Old 02-27-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

This was posted on Entertainment weeklys Website.
Oh so true.

Ben There, Dumb That

''Daredevil'''s four fatal flaws. Here's why Ben Affleck's hit movie is the silliest superhero flick yet, says Brian Hiatt

IN THE RED Affleck (shown here with a dying Elektra, played by Garner) could have used some womanly advice on the look of his costume

The nation's No. 1 movie got one thing right: Daredevil's pec-hugging bodysuit, helpfully inscribed with the telltale initials ''DD,'' is unsightly enough to have been designed by a blind man.

But that's about it for realism in ''Daredevil.'' Even graded on a generous comic-book-movie curve, the film exhibits an uncommon disregard for the dictates of logic, common sense, and physics (Jennifer Garner's sturdy leather sportsbra excluded). Sure, the movie's $70 million-plus take suggests its lapses didn't faze many moviegoers. But even the most ardent Marvel Comics worshippers shouldn't have to put up with the level of silliness we've uncovered [warning: spoilers ahead].

LEGAL PROBLEMS Justice may be blind, but ''Daredevil'''s sloppy take on the legal system is just jaw-droppingly dumb. Ben Affleck's Matt Murdock must be the ditsiest lawyer since Ally McBeal; he, and the moviemakers, don't know whether he's a private attorney or a government prosecutor. The film establishes Murdock as a partner in a law firm, only to cut to a scene of him as a finger-pointing, speech-making prosecutor in a rapist's criminal trial. Then, when the rapist gets off (the jury must have been as confused as the audience), Murdock puts on his S&M outfit and pushes him in front of the C train. Now that's due process.

MOURNING BECOMES ELEKTRA ''Daredevil'' offers the most miraculous resurrection since Paula Abdul found a TV gig. In the film's climactic fight, Colin Farrell's Bullseye shreds Elektra's throat and impales her on her own sword; we see her heart stop. So how does she come back to life at the end? When Elektra croaked in the '80s ''Daredevil'' comics, a group of helpful ninjas revived her in a magical ritual. But there's nary a ninja to be found here. More puzzling: Instead of expressing bewilderment at his girlfriend's miraculous return from the grave, Affleck simply murmurs something about ''hope.'' Our hope? No ''Daredevil 2.''

POWER OF ATTORNEY ''Daredevil'''s makers touted their star as an all-too-human superhero who combats the aches and pains of crime-fighting by gulping Slim-Shady-worthy doses of Vicodin. So why do they betray their concept by showing Daredevil floating around Manhattan like a cross between Spider-Man and Mighty Mouse? Daredevil, whose only superhuman abilities are enhanced senses, is shown dodging bullets with a Neo-like ease, casually hurling himself from the top of skyscrapers, and making absurd 300-foot leaps from rooftop to rooftop. Forget Vicodin -- what this guy needs is a coffin.

OPEN SECRET Matt Murdock seems to have trouble understanding the ''secret'' part of ''secret identity.'' Sure, being a blind dude helps keep people from figuring out that you're a costumed crusader by night -- as long as you don't blow your cover by flaunting your abilities in broad daylight. But that's exactly what Murdock does in front of dozens of strangers in his cutesy first meeting with Elektra, engaging in an elaborate martial arts brawl that no blind man could ever attempt. Meanwhile, Elektra adds to the scene's foolishness with her alarming comfort about pummelling a cane-toting, shades-wearing sightless guy -- in public, no less. Talk about a bad blind date.
Old 03-10-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I liked DD and would gladly see a sequel.
Old 03-10-03, 11:20 PM
Banned

to all the people that think it is decent, be happy, there is tons of more crap from Hollywood you will be getting. Summer is just around the corner.
Old 03-11-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by cooper2000
to all the people that think it is decent, be happy, there is tons of more crap from Hollywood you will be getting. Summer is just around the corner.
Ya know...some might view this proclamation as being "elitist". I don't.

I can no longer [nor do I want to] attempt to try to figure out Hollywood or the execs that are in charge..

They option these comic book movies then do their very best to gut everything that makes them appreciated in the first place. And if someone complains, they're given the excuse that it wouldn't work in the "real world" or resort to calling the complainer an elitist..

whatever..
Old 03-11-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh!!!!!!!!! "real world' BS was used with this movie
Old 03-11-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Ya know...some might view this proclamation as being "elitist". I don't.

I can no longer [nor do I want to] attempt to try to figure out Hollywood or the execs that are in charge..

They option these comic book movies then do their very best to gut everything that makes them appreciated in the first place. And if someone complains, they're given the excuse that it wouldn't work in the "real world" or resort to calling the complainer an elitist..

whatever..

Mellow out...

Every few years DC and Marvel....ESPECIALLY MARVEL.... shytes out new "Versions" of established heroes with many major differences. Some complain, others don't...Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. the DD movie is a decent comic book flick and the public has said as much.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-11-03 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh, I am mellow..

I know what you're saying about Marvel..I read somewhere [Wizard, I think..] that there was a suggestion thrown out that they "Ultimatize" the entire MU. That's just plain foolish. If they had talented writers/artists, there'd be no need. JMS is doing great things with Amazing SM [AND Peter's still married!]. Waid is doing a bang-up job with FF..and Johns is starting to develop a rhythm as far as the Avengers are concerned..

Are these "Ultimate" books? Nope. Should they be? Not on your life.

But at least you used the right adjective as far as Marvel's output -- shyte. [Though you used it as a verb]

And as for "the DD movie is a decent comic book flick and the public has said as much"..