Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your view of the Daredevil movie (spoilers possibly)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Daredevil the movie?
38.18%
18.18%
29.09%
you couldn't pay me to see this.
14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it comes out tomorrow, I would like your thoughts on the movie (not critics thoughts, there is already a thread for this). I'm going tomorrow. If sold out I'm either seeing Chicago, or the Hours.
Old 02-13-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
For those that think me a premature basher of this movie(as some of my other posts might indicate), let me say this about myself.
What some may call "bias" against this Daredevil Movie is merely fact that I KNOW the comic. I am informed. When does that become a negative? As if one had to be ignorant of history in order to comment on current situations, which is true of most people in today's world.

The problem with too many comic films nowadays is that it seems to take the attitude of "screw the fans, we need to please the masses." I got news. The fans are what will give this movie the positive word of mouth that will get the masses into the theater. I feel that masses are more likely to see a movie if it has a "fanboy" stamp of approval than if it didn't. Just my opinion though.

That said, I really look forward to a good time with this movie, despite the presence of Affleck. Apparently the director got on the radio and requested that audiences stay after the credits to see a "surprise" of sorts.
Old 02-13-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Bump so we don't get a lot of duplicate threads.
Old 02-13-03, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damnit! I just got home from the movie but left well before the credits ended! The film is great though! Loved every minute of it!
Old 02-13-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait to see it. It look awesome...referring to Jennifer Garner of course.
Old 02-13-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks okay. I think it will be less interesting than Spiderman. The fight scenes could be better, but overall, it just doesn't interest me much.
Old 02-13-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They did a fine job with this movie. Affleck actually was decent and Garner was just simply HOT! I’m looking forward to her own movie! Who stole the show was Farrell!!! He's one badass mutha! I'm glad how they handled his character!
Spoiler:
Not dead

Also the fight scenes were pumped! Alot better than Spidey ...I'm talking action scenes here.

Go out and see the movie! But don't expect Spider-man performance here! Take it for what it is, FUN!

Rating Comic book movie scale:

1. Spider-Man
2. DareDevil
3. Blade
4. Batman
4. XMEN
Old 02-13-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm seeing it tomorrow. I've been a fan of DD for a long time and I too am going into the film with certain expectations. All of them probably won't be met but I'll have to look at the film as a whole and then make a judgement.
Old 02-13-03, 11:51 PM

I highly recommend Daredevil. This movie evokes the same feeling I had reading Frank Miller's Dark Night for the first time. This film is not about spectacles. It wants you to feel how to be Matt Murdock and it does that very very well.
Old 02-14-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

urgh too late posted my views on another thread.

mediocre. mediocre. mediocre. see it if u're a comics fan for the cameos.
Old 02-14-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Im looking forward to this movie, its one of those movies I have to see for myself.
Old 02-14-03, 10:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not sure what to think. It has gotten mixed reviews thus far and the director has not proven himself to me yet that he can handle a superhero movie.

I'll probably check out a matinee showing over the weekend.
Old 02-14-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I'm not sure what to think. It has gotten mixed reviews thus far and the director has not proven himself to me yet that he can handle a superhero movie.

I'll probably check out a matinee showing over the weekend.
Who directed this movie? And is this his first attempt at a superhero movie?
Old 02-14-03, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by DVD.guy
Can't wait to see it. It look awesome...referring to Jennifer Garner of course.
Ditto
Old 02-14-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by White Knight

Rating Comic book movie scale:

1. Spider-Man
2. DareDevil
3. Blade
4. Batman
4. XMEN
I myself actually liked Daredevil better than Spider-Man.
Old 02-14-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I left right when the credits started rolling, does anyone know what the special surprise was after the credits?
Old 02-14-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Excelesor
I left right when the credits started rolling, does anyone know what the special surprise was after the credits?
Spoiler:
Bullseye is alive in the hospital in a full body cast

Originally posted by kian69
I myself actually liked Daredevil better than Spider-Man.
Not for me. I'm a huge Spidey fan so DD couldn't touch it...but those action moments were awesome! I want more intense fighting with Spidey 2!

However, DD killed Xmen by a long shot!
Old 02-14-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I preferred DD to Spidey, though I thought X-men was great, so I guess I'm way off on this "comic scale." I'd have to say this was my ranking:

1. Batman
2. Blade
3. X-men
4. Daredevil
999. Spiderman (didn't like it one bit)

I felt like DD was a mix between batman and the crow, with a bit of spiderman mixed in for the comic book fans.
Old 02-14-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whereas X-men & Spider-man I had numerous complaints, this movie I feel there are 2 things that ruin this movie.

The main one is the SHITTY ****ING DIRECTOR: The movie is shot like an MTV video, no scene lingers & everything is all close-ups. Every bit of dialogue is shot with the camera inches away from the characters face. EVery fight scene the choreographer(who is not a very good asian choreographer dispite what you may have read) clearly new the actors had no clue what they were doing b/c every fight scene is shot in the dark, w/ rain or flashing lights & the camera inches away from the actor to diguise the inability to fight for the dumb audience that will except this.

If the movie claims to be take place in NYC or a real life location, then shoot it in one, b/c the entire movie looks like it is shot in the back lot of a Hollwood studioe that resembles L.A. rather than New York.

Complaint #2: The Soundtrack - STOP USING THE MOVIES AS MARKETING TOOLS. I want a damn score that people will remember, that they will associate w/ Daredevil as he swoops down with his billy club. The movie uses forgettable what I assume are rock songs that sound like every single song on the radio. And I hate when song lyrics are thrown into a movie. It overlaps with the content of the movie.

The cast in this movie is absolute phenomenal, all I did for the past year & on these boards was bitch about how wrong every single cast member is. I HATE Affleck but he shocked me as Murdock, No Garner is not a good comic book Elektra but she has such amazing screen presence & if the only person in the movie that does her own stunts, Bullseye steels this movie, & again I hate Duncan but he is awesome as kingpin. And god bless Jon favreu b/c he nails Foggy Nelson probably better than any comic book character I have ever seen brought to life.

The downfall of this movie is totally based on the incompetant director & over editing, the movie was clearly shot for an R rating & the studio decided to much aroung to get more dollars, how bout Coolio being completey cut from the movie, you can tell there was ton of last minute editing & it results in an entertaining b/c of the cast but extremely sloppy action movie.
Old 02-14-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, poor choice of director/screenwriter (one and the same).
Old 02-15-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it tonight. I have to admit that I'm a bit biased, being a fan of the comic for a long time. But all in all it was good. I would recomend it but first I'd have to say this.

The alot of elements are taken directly from the comic. Alot of things aren't explained in great detail so if you haven't read the comic you might get a bit confused. The story is obviously setting you up for a sequal.

The story also moves pretty quickly. It's a very fast paced film. So it seemingly flys by.

If you're a fan of the comic you'll definitley enjoy this one. If not you might get a little frustrated.
Old 02-15-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I had low expectations coming in the movie, but in the end I enjoyed it. I loved the bar scene since it seem to focus on the sounds. In the comics, does the Daredevil kill and wasn't there some guy that trained him when he was a kid? My only exposure to Daredevil is from the Spiderman cartoons in the 90s, so what would be a good graphic novel to start on?
Old 02-15-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by outcastja
I had low expectations coming in the movie, but in the end I enjoyed it. I loved the bar scene since it seem to focus on the sounds. In the comics, does the Daredevil kill and wasn't there some guy that trained him when he was a kid? My only exposure to Daredevil is from the Spiderman cartoons in the 90s, so what would be a good graphic novel to start on?
If you know nothing of DD start with the books Kevin Smith wrote, they are very well written.
Old 02-15-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
That sensei's name is Stick (who trained DD).
Old 02-15-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a comic book person but I really liked it.

I liked the fact that it had a dark tone to it and I liked that it wasn't wall-to-wall action all the time.

Call it boring if you want but the fact the he is blind and that there's a little exploring that was good in my opinion.

Colin Farrell was great as Bullseye. Duncan didn't have much to work with for his villain though.

Jennifer Garner was beautiful and had good chemistry with Affleck.

I enjoyed it a lot except for DD's stupid-looking costume.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.