DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   questions about Payback??? (spoiler) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/271042-questions-about-payback-spoiler.html)

robot 02-13-03 01:01 PM

questions about Payback??? (spoiler)

The scene where Porter kills Carter in his office. Just after he punches out Carter's body gaurds... Carter says something like "nicely done, they were some of my best"...

then Mel Gibson mumbles something... what does he say?

then he throws something towards Carter which appears to be a roll of quarters... What is it that he threw to Carter?

Thanks!

spankyj 02-13-03 02:09 PM

I'll check it out tonight and get back to you. I know the scene you are speaking of - but I can't remember.

funkyryno 02-13-03 03:08 PM

Re: questions about Payback??? (spoiler)

Originally posted by robot
[B
then he throws something towards Carter which appears to be a roll of quarters... What is it that he threw to Carter?
[/B]

A roll of quarters. He held it in his fist to add more weight to his punch. That was why he was able to drop the two bodyguards so easily.

caiman 02-13-03 03:10 PM

Carter - "My compliments. They were 2 of my best."
Porter - "Didn't know how they'd lull too easy."

God bless subtitles!

Indy Jones Fan 02-13-03 06:34 PM

I haven't seen the movie in a while and my brain must be fuzzy because this makes absolutely no sense.

caiman 02-13-03 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Indy Jones Fan
I haven't seen the movie in a while and my brain must be fuzzy because this makes absolutely no sense.
It didn't make sense to me either, but I read it at least three times. That is indeed what he says. (unless of course the subs are wrong)

spankyj 02-14-03 09:38 AM

Good work fellas.

Indy Jones Fan 02-14-03 11:33 AM

caiman, I believe you but that's gotta be a subtitle screw-up because that line just doesn't really say anything.

robot 02-14-03 03:38 PM

thanks everyone!

The line making no sense is one thing...

but does holding a roll of quarters to help knock down 2 guys make sense? I'm no expert in the art of hitting but i can't see how the weight from a roll of quarters is really going to make much of a difference. I mean... do people actually do that?

Cusm 02-14-03 04:55 PM

It is called a load, and makes a difference. Not so much the wait as the solidity it adds to your fist. Try hitting a wall or other inanimate object with a roll of quarters some time.

Blade 07-11-03 05:05 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I love this movie and thought I could shed some light on some apparent confusion (I was doing a search on "punch" for Punch Drunk Love, which I just saw tonight, if you're wondering how I found this thread).

Originally posted by caiman
Carter - "My compliments. They were 2 of my best."

God bless subtitles!

It's made up slang. "Lull" means quiet or calm, as in a brief lull in the storm, or lulling a baby to sleep. What Porter is saying is that he wasn't sure how tough Carter's guys were, and thus wasn't sure how hard he'd have to hit them to make them go down fast. Hence the roll of quaters to make his punch even harder, thus making it more likely that he'd be able to lull them to sleep, so to speak.