DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your government in action! NYC bans c-phones at movies! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/270945-your-government-action-nyc-bans-c-phones-movies.html)

El-Kabong 02-13-03 12:13 AM

Your government in action! NYC bans c-phones at movies!

It's about time! Now for the rest of the country!

Link

No more cell phones ringing at the movies. No more dudes holding up their phones so friends can hear a concert. And no more rude interruptions for Broadway theatergoers. Overriding Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s veto, the City Council voted 38-5 on Wednesday to ban the use of cell phones at public performances.

TALKING ON A CELL PHONE, dialing, listening or even having one ring during a performance will constitute a violation punishable by a $50 fine.

The law covers concerts, movies, plays, lectures, dance performances, museums, libraries and galleries. Cell phone use would still be permitted at sporting events and in emergencies, and people would still be allowed to speak on phones in lobbies and during intermissions.

The use of audible pagers was also banned.

The prime sponsor, City Councilman Phil Reed, said the idea came from theater owners tired of incessant phone ringing and loud conversations during performances.

“I think it’s a real quality-of-life issue,” Reed said. “People overwhelmingly want this to happen. And because it would only apply during the performance, it’s not a lot to ask of people to do.”

The mayor, however, has said the legislation would be unnecessary and almost impossible to enforce.

“We do not hesitate to ‘shush,’” Bloomberg wrote in his veto letter last month. “Some standards of conduct, not directly affecting public health or safety, can best be enforced not through legislation but through less formal means.”

City Council Speaker Gifford Miller said the law will be largely self-enforcing. “I don’t expect the police to spend any time enforcing it,” he said.

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association, an industry organization, lobbied against the bill.

Wireless phones are part of a long list of potentially inconsiderate behavior, a list that includes talking during performances, singing aloud — except when sanctioned — unwrapping candy and cough drops and even attending a public performance when suffering from a cough or allergy,” said Thomas Wheeler, the group’s president. “No matter how laudable the goal, the city cannot legislate courtesy and common sense.”

The ban takes effect in 60 days.

WiccanPagan 02-13-03 12:25 AM

:up:

Giles 02-13-03 12:27 AM

They recently tried to have mobile phones banned in Maryland, it didn't pass.

How they going to enforce this?

Copenhagen 02-13-03 12:28 AM

I would love to see this in CA followed by the banning of babies in theaters.

Giles 02-13-03 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I would love to see this in CA followed by the banning of babies in theaters.
Doesn't AMC have a policy in regards to this. I know that the AMC Cinema Club at Mazza Galleria here in upper Northwest DC serves alcohol and no one under 21 are allowed to the shows. The pre-7pm shows are open to all as well as the other five non-club auditoriums.

I know at one point that Baltimore's Senator Theatre also had policy on not letting anyone under the age of 5 into their theatre.

Alien Redrum 02-13-03 01:12 AM

I'm sorry, but as much as I appreciate the thought, I think the mayor is absolutely right...

The mayor, however, has said the legislation would be unnecessary and almost impossible to enforce.
I have my doubts on how seriously this law will be taken.

Chad 02-13-03 01:44 AM

The law covers concerts, movies, plays, lectures, dance performances, museums, libraries and galleries.

Just add restaurants to the list. Hopefully other states will follow suit. :up:

Aaron Amos 02-13-03 09:08 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The law covers concerts, movies, plays, lectures, dance performances, museums, libraries and galleries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just add now add shopping centers,stores and malls to the list. Hopefully the rest of the nation wil follow . :up:

Groucho 02-13-03 09:18 AM

I'm not sure why cell phones need to banned from shopping centers, stores, and malls.

Are there shopping centers and malls in Burley? I know there's a feed store there, but that's about it...right?

the narrator 02-13-03 09:36 AM

not sure how they will enforce this, but i think it's good they are at least trying.

GuessWho 02-13-03 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Just add now add shopping centers,stores and malls to the list.
WHY?

You talk to the person next to you if you're shopping with a buddy, right? Should that be illegal? Malls aren't silent.

Giles 02-13-03 09:46 AM

well they could put those devices that block incoming calls - and say "hey we did tell ya cell phones are illegal"

Giles 02-13-03 09:47 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
WHY?

You talk to the person next to you if you're shopping with a buddy, right? Should that be illegal? Malls aren't silent.

they should make that muzak crap illegal.

GuessWho 02-13-03 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Giles
well they could put those devices that block incoming calls - and say "hey we did tell ya cell phones are illegal"
I thought of that too, but if there's a fire or emergency, it's be nice to be able to use the phone then.

nchhabra 02-13-03 10:10 AM

great idea, but it will be difficult to enforce. it would be nice to enjoy a movie in peace once in a while.

Red Dog 02-13-03 10:47 AM

Nice unenforceable law. -rolleyes- Just leave the whole issue to ownership and management. No need for the government to be wasting their time with stuff like this.

PixyJunket 02-13-03 10:56 AM

I think they need to fine/arrest/suspend licesnes from jack offs who talk on thier phones while operating motor vehicles.

cdollaz 02-13-03 11:33 AM

I doubt it will be a high priority and cops will not go out looking for offenders, but this is easily enforceable provided a cop sees someone doing it. Just writes them a ticket. Easy enough.

ipkevin 02-13-03 12:10 PM

*loud muzac version of 'jingle bells'*

"hello?

yeah, man I'm at movie, yo!

hell yeah, it's hella funny.

oh, nothin'.

Oh, for realz?

yeah. ah hahahahahah!!

that fool crazy, huh? yeah, tonight, man!

you get that thang for me?

what? like that?

I know, huh?

yeah man.

ey, man I gotta go, these people is trippin'

awright then.

*beep*

5 minutes pass

*loud annoying muzac.....*

DrRingDing 02-13-03 12:41 PM

Originally posted by the narrator
not sure how they will enforce this..
i'm thinking undercover air marshals... :D
-di doctor-

HistoryProf 02-13-03 12:43 PM

:up:

may be 'unenforceable' per se, but i do think it'll have somewhat of an effect on some anyway - the threat of a ticket might at least help minimize the selfish a*holes that pull this crap.

mmconhea 02-13-03 12:44 PM

So now instead of the phone ringing and distracting us. We will have:

Phone ringing.

Talking on the phone

guy getting up calling police

police comming in at best part.

arresting guy

guy resists

backup called in

wrestling

guy knocks over my popcorn

I start kicking guy in goobers

pepper spray is used

guy is dragged off

best part of movie is over.

Get Me Coffee 02-13-03 12:47 PM

What a joke and waste of time/money. It's a complete unenforceable law!!! When's the last time you've seen a cop comb through a movie theater? :lol: As red dog pointed out, this issue should be left in the hands of the owners and management. Don’t waste government time over stupidity of cell phone ringing during a movie. Yes, I hate having a phone ring...but...please, a law?

Also who’s the crackpot who said bane cell phone use in the mall!?!?! That’s insane! I can understand the banning of phone use while driving…but movie theater or mall?

It just seems like they’re so many more issues NY should be focusing on. Hell we have a nuclear power plant that is a huge risk to the community (plus you have a evacuation plan that will ultimately kill everyone with radiation poisoning). Other NY issues: unemployment, water protection, and other terrorist protections. But they wasted time with movie theater quality. Great move! :lol:

waskydiver 02-13-03 03:47 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I doubt it will be a high priority and cops will not go out looking for offenders, but this is easily enforceable provided a cop sees someone doing it. Just writes them a ticket. Easy enough.
Whatsa on-duty cop doing at the movies?

al_bundy 02-13-03 04:35 PM

Living in NYC I think they will enforce it. The city budget is facing a huge defecit and they are doing everything to raise money. In the last year they became extremely brutal in giving out parking tickets as well as raising the fines. If this is a good source of revenue then they will enforce it.