DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/270914-christopher-guests-mighty-wind.html)

DIVX Rulz 02-12-03 09:41 PM

Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Heres the web page for the newest from Christopher Guest, A Mighty Wind... its looks like its about a folk singer reunion. Judging from the trailer it looks like its going to be hilarious

http://amightywindonline.warnerbros.com/

The Antipodean 02-12-03 10:35 PM

I was really excited about this when I saw it in EW's Spring Movie Preview, I hadn't heard about it before. It almost sounds like a quasi-sequel to Spinal Tap!

Frankly anything from the Best Of Show/Waiting for Guffman team, I'm there. Can't wait to see what they've done now.

Supermallet 02-12-03 11:25 PM

Not only does this feel like a quasi-sequel to Spinal Tap, when Spinal Tap went on tour a year ago, The Folksmen opened for them! They were hilarious. My friends felt they actually upstaged Tap themselves, but I wasn't so sure. When I heard they were making a movie based on this, a busted a gut just thinking about what they could do, and have been waiting impatiently for it ever since.

Numanoid 02-12-03 11:44 PM

Oh man, I can't wait. Great to see Harry Shearer back with the gang. These guys have really perfected the mockumentary.

Fred Willard :lol:

mdc3000 02-13-03 08:43 AM

I've been really looking forward to this flick, the trailer is quite funny... I think this movie will be brilliant...

MATT

FrankGrimes 02-21-03 06:44 PM

From the thread title, I thought Christopher Guest had some sort of gas problem. Glad to hear he's ok...

BDB 03-17-03 08:36 AM

This looks great. Trailer up at apple.com

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/a_mighty_wind.html

hgar78 03-17-03 09:54 AM

cant wait to see it! i love guests' work. always hilarious especially since his movies seem to touch home for me (my dad teaches theatre and has been involved in community theater his whole life, i grew up in it. my aunt used to breed and show dogs). :lol:

DJLinus 04-27-03 11:05 AM

Does anyone know when this movie is opening wide? It's one of the movies that I've been waiting for most this year. This is one of the few times that I wish I lived in DC again.

mdc3000 04-27-03 11:37 AM

A Mighty Wind opens wide on May 9th.

Now just a warning...lower your expectations... if you do, then maybe you'll really enjoy it.

I unfortunately had high expectations and hopes for the film and it bitterly disappointed me. It had some very funny and winning moments...but the moments were few and far between. By far Guest and Levy's weakest effort to date, the film takes a far to sentimental and sweet view of it's subject matter, so it becomes an exercise in nostalgia rather than comedy. The movie is sweet and sacarine, rather than funny and biting...

The songs are decent, but overall it was very disappointing...approach with caution.

MATT

LiquidSky 04-28-03 08:34 AM

I cannot wait to see this!

Draven 04-28-03 08:50 AM

Originally posted by mdc3000
A Mighty Wind opens wide on May 9th.

Now just a warning...lower your expectations... if you do, then maybe you'll really enjoy it.

I unfortunately had high expectations and hopes for the film and it bitterly disappointed me. It had some very funny and winning moments...but the moments were few and far between. By far Guest and Levy's weakest effort to date, the film takes a far to sentimental and sweet view of it's subject matter, so it becomes an exercise in nostalgia rather than comedy. The movie is sweet and sacarine, rather than funny and biting...

The songs are decent, but overall it was very disappointing...approach with caution.

MATT

Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

I thought it was one of their strongest efforts. I enjoyed it more than Best in Show, but not as much as Guffman.

The music they are "parodying" is sweet and sacharine, so I felt the tone of the movie was dead on. They managed to both poke fun and pay tribute to the "folk music scene" and it totally worked.

Eugene Levy steals the show. He manages to play sad, sweet and kinda creepy all at once. I felt for him throughout the film. And he has a really lovely voice, which completely surprised me.

The songs were great, the performances were great, the humor was great. Totally recommended.

Pants 04-28-03 01:21 PM

Better than Best in Show but nowhere near the brilliance of Guffman. My biggest complaint is the lack of music. There is really only 3 or 4 songs and you only get to hear one in its entirety because they cut around. I prefered Guffman's finnally where you got to hear all the musical numbers. The film has only a few laugh out loud moments. It's more endearing than funny.

Like Best in Show, Fred Willard steals the show in what is his funniest performance in both films.

Ky-Fi 04-28-03 10:16 PM

Wha' Happened?! :)

I thought it was on par with Guffman and Best in Show. But yeah, I thought all three of the folk groups had their look and performance down brillaintly---I wanted a lot more of all of them just doing their hilarious songs. I wanted to see ALL of the "Skeletons of Quinto". Hopefully the DVD will give us a lot more concert footage.

Giles 04-29-03 11:46 AM

Even at only 87 minutes in length, I thought the movie kind of dragged. The guy two rows in front of me was having way too much fun, I thought he was going to pop a neck vein from all the laughing. When compared to Guffman, and Best in Show, this one rounds out to my third favourite.

Ghostface180 04-29-03 06:24 PM

Wha Happened?

Frank TJ Mackey 05-10-03 05:48 PM

Anybody go see this over the May 9 weekend?
It didn't do too bad for being on 700 or so screens
I think $3.5 million.

I liked Best In Show better than Guffman.

Trigger 05-10-03 06:03 PM

This will be the first of these movies that I completely avoid. I've never liked any of them - not even Spinal Tap. For a minute there, I thought I liked Guffman, but then I realized that I didn't. I just don't think these films are funny at all. I'm sure it's just me.

Frank TJ Mackey 05-12-03 11:33 AM

Ok, I saw this and was extremely disappointed.

It dragged on and just wasn't that funny.

Eugene Levy's character was a one-trick pony the whole film
and it got old after a few minutes (although one group of people
thought he was funny every time he did this tired routine)

The movie is a good idea but IMO it was just not done very well.

Best In Show remains my favorite Guest movie.

cdollaz 05-12-03 12:10 PM

This was so boring and slow. Fred Willard's character was funny and some of the New Main Street Singers stuff was funny, especially the main wife-husband duo, but overall this was really weak. I dozed off twice.

F For Fake 05-12-03 12:47 PM

I saw it this weekend, and while I did really enjoy it, it wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the previous Guest movies. Not to say that's a bad thing necessarily. The music was great, and there was a warmth to the picture which I enjoyed.

The pros: great songs, a few genuine belly laughs, Fred Willard is priceless whenever he is captured on celluloid, and Parker Posey continues to give me the hot.

The cons: fans of the previous films might be let down as it's not as rapid-fire funny as the previous films; Eugene Levy, a tremendously talented and funny guy, is annoying in this movie

atlantamoi 05-12-03 05:23 PM

I rank this one 4th behind Guff, Show and Spinal. Nowhere near as good as Guffman, but that movie is quite possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen. I have high expectations with Guest movies.

HistoryProf 05-15-03 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Draven
Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

I thought it was one of their strongest efforts. I enjoyed it more than Best in Show, but not as much as Guffman.

The music they are "parodying" is sweet and sacharine, so I felt the tone of the movie was dead on. They managed to both poke fun and pay tribute to the "folk music scene" and it totally worked.

Eugene Levy steals the show. He manages to play sad, sweet and kinda creepy all at once. I felt for him throughout the film. And he has a really lovely voice, which completely surprised me.

The songs were great, the performances were great, the humor was great. Totally recommended.

I couldn't agree more....although i must admit to getting a tad tired of Levy's schtick in this one....his singing was tremendous though. I must say that Bob Balaban was ten times funnier than Fred Willard....although funny, Willard was by far the most "annoying" character.

The Funniest, although only seen briefly, was once again Jennifer Coolidge.........she is absolutely fantastically hilarious. "Model Trains are great!!" :lol: rotfl :lol:

atlantamoi 05-16-03 07:48 AM

Originally posted by brizz
The Funniest, although only seen briefly, was once again Jennifer Coolidge.........she is absolutely fantastically hilarious. "Model Trains are great!!" :lol: rotfl :lol:
Oh my! Why wasn't her character used in this movie more? She really was the funniest part of the movie. Willard's character was annoying, but that "Wha' Happening" thing was funny and I would have enjoyed seeing him around more as well.

LiquidSky 05-16-03 07:50 AM

I really enjoyed this film. My favorite line was from the wonderful Jennifer Coolidge regarding trains. :)

She was definitely underused in the film.

Gdrlv 05-27-03 05:20 PM

I finally got around to seeing this on Sunday. I went in with low expectations...loved all of Guest's other movies but had been hearing mixed things about Mighty Wind.

I loved it. I don't know if I liked it as much as Guffman or Best in Show, but I've seen those movies numerous times so I really can't compare yet. Eugene Levy was (unfortunately) a bit annoying at times, but the rest of the cast was excellent. Parker Posey was underused...seemed like they could have done so much more with her character. Fred Willard was absolutely hysterical. His TV show ideas for the New Main Street Singers were great. It was great to have Harry Shearer back as well.

Not sure why so many didn't like it, but I thought it was great...

monkeyboy 05-27-03 07:24 PM

It was entertaining enough. The problem I have with some of Guest's work is that you can almost 'feel' the actors hamming it up and improvising. "Look how clever I'm being right now!" Spinal Tap never had that feeling for me. Guffman felt pretty solid too.

And the very ending? C'mon.....

Ea.. A.. Oe's

TheAllPurposeNothing 05-28-03 02:51 AM

Sure that last joke was as cheap as they come, but I still laughed.

A quick question:

I remember a couple of posts mentioning something about the Folksmen performing a cover of the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up," yet don't remember any such scene in the film.
The song, however, is on the film's soundtrack. Was this edited out before the wide release? If so, hopefully it will find its way onto the DVD extras.

BTW, did anyone notice that Annette O'Toole (Superman III's Lana Lang) co-wrote a number of songs in the movie? I guess it shouldn't be too big suprise since she is married to Michael McKean, but I thought it was a cool piece of trivia. Another cool piece of info from her IMDB bio is that she provided back-up vocals for "The First Nudie Musical."

wordtoyamotha 07-27-03 06:34 PM

I saw this flick two nights ago at the local film festival. My review may be skewed because I have seen both Spinal Tap and Best In Show but I have NOT seen Waiting for Guffman.

PROS: Just about every actor is back from BIS. It's fun to see the faces I laughed at so much in Guest's last film. The story line, the dialougue are very similar if not the same as BIS. The humor is still incredibly dry and the characters are eccentric as ever. Guest has a great way of showing how people take their work/craft WAY too seriously.

CONS: While the writing and the acting are on par with Guest's previous work, I didn't find the subject as interesting/funny. Now, huge disclaimer here, I'm really too young to know about the folk music era. Even though I've heard folk music and certainly know what it is, I suspect this is the main reason I didn't find it as funny.

OVERALL: I'd like to commend Christopher Guest for doing something that a lot of writers/directors don't - sticking with what works and keeping it entertaining. Too many times do we see writers have success in one area and decide, "Now I really want to try something different/cutting edge" which turns out to be crap. While I don't think A Mighty Wind is funnier than Best In Show, I was glad to see more of Guest's unique, dry, funny style

milo bloom 10-28-18 11:32 AM

Re: Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Months ago I found this DVD on our condo building’s giveaway table in the basement and just yesterday I threw it in the player on a lark and we really enjoyed it. My wife had no idea what is and when the folk music was playing on the menu screen she was asking what the he’ll I was going to force on her but once it got rolling we both really loved it. When Jane Lynch was telling about her Traci Lords style start in movies and her husband was just sitting there with that look on his face we were dying laughing.

So should we watch Best In Show next?

majorjoe23 10-28-18 12:11 PM

Yes, watch Best in Show. But Waiting for Guffman is probably my favorite. For Your Consideration is probably my least favorite, but it also doesn’t use the mockumentary format.

Nesbit 10-28-18 12:34 PM

Best in Show is amazing

Mabuse 10-28-18 01:01 PM

Guffman is the masterpiece.

melasnus 10-29-18 01:55 AM

Wow, 15 year thread restart...must be some kind of record.