Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actor Sean Penn Claims Lost Movie Role Over Iraq Views

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-12-03, 08:52 PM
Banned

Actor Penn Claims Lost Movie Role Over Iraq Views
Wed Feb 12, 4:02 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Sean Penn (news) is claiming in a lawsuit that he lost a movie role because of his public opposition to a U.S. war against Iraq.

But Movie producer Steve Bing has countered in his own lawsuit that Penn is "irrational and irresponsible" and accused the actor of trying to extort $10 million for a movie he had no deal to star in.

Bing and Penn hit each other with Los Angeles Superior Court lawsuits on Tuesday in a bitter feud over the putative movie, "Why Men Shouldn't Marry," that could result in a classic courtroom showdown.

Penn, the ex-husband of Madonna (news - web sites), accused Bing of "borrowing a page from the dark era of Hollywood blacklisting" by allegedly reneging on a contract for him to play the lead in the movie after Penn aired his views on Iraq in a January television interview.

Bing, most famous for a bitter dispute over paternity of British actress Elizabeth Hurley (news)'s child, termed Penn's claim blackmail.

Bing alleged that on Penn's return from Iraq, Penn threatened "to turn their business dispute into a First Amendment crusade" although it had nothing to do with free speech, threatening to tell the media he had been forced off the movie because of his opposition to a U.S. invasion.

Bing said he had never closed a deal with Penn but had spent millions of dollars on pre-production for the movie which he wrote and intends to direct in the belief that the actor would be on board.

Penn claims breach of oral contract and is asking for $10 million in damages. Bing claims civil extortion and is claiming $15 million in damages.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ople_penn_dc_1
Old 02-12-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kinda like watching hamsters attack each other and devour their own young.
Old 02-13-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Actor Sean Penn Claims Lost Movie Role Over Iraq Views

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Penn claims breach of oral contract and is asking for $10 million in damages. Bing claims civil extortion and is claiming $15 million in damages.
This is the stupidest part of it all. How can you show proof of an oral contract? I guess it would work if it were taped, but I'm assuming it wasn't.
These poor guys and all their money.
Old 02-13-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As if Americans cared.

I think the Hollywood crowd needs to stop spouting out political views and leave that to real politicians. They're starting to sound strident and frankly, the majority of Americans are tiring of their rants.
Old 02-13-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RayChuang
I think the Hollywood crowd needs to stop spouting out political views and leave that to real politicians. They're starting to sound strident and frankly, the majority of Americans are tiring of their rants.
That qualifies as a rant, sounds like a thousand other messages on this board, and I'm fairly certain no one wanted to hear it. Yet you obviously had no qualms about posting it. Funny that.
Old 02-13-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't Sean Penn going to quit acting and concentrate on directing?
Old 02-14-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if its true....then GOOD!!!