DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anybody else not care about the Oscars? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/270509-anybody-else-not-care-about-oscars.html)

darkflounder 02-11-03 03:58 PM

Anybody else not care about the Oscars?

Anybody else not give a damn about the oscars anymore?

The best performances never win, the best pictures never win.

Think of the movies that have won best picture.
Forrest Gump is better than Pulp Fiction??
Gladiator is better than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon??

The Academy Awards specifically reduces the chances of foreign films winning, and some of the best films this year were foreign.

Fvck Oscar, fvck him up his stupid ass.

Pants 02-11-03 04:05 PM

Agreed. They can't tell a good film from a hole in the ground. I like very few of the films they celebrate.

But for some reason I can't take my eyes off it-eek-

Amadeus 02-11-03 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Pants
Agreed. They can't tell a good film from a hole in the ground. I like very few of the films they celebrate.

But for some reason I can't take my eyes off it-eek-

Me too.-eek-

PixyJunket 02-11-03 04:07 PM

Ive never really cared, but I really hope Lilo & Stitch wins best animated movie. :D

As that would speed up the 2 disc set.

Sessa17 02-11-03 04:16 PM

I could honestly care less, & it literally troubles me how into it some people get. I have a 45 minute drive to work & the sport show I usually listen to into the car spent the whole day talking about the Oscars, & they had NO CLUE what they were talking about.

I do not have the part of my brain that understand why the average person or any person not involved in the business, would watch or care about ANY award show. Why would you give a s-h-i-t about some actor who makes millions of dollars for a few months work winning a little statue & then acts like they cured death.

If they actually based the awards on the right criteria, I could understand why people get so into, but the voters don't even watch every movie. And even if they did the only vote with whatever agenda they have, not for the people most deserving.

I didn't see the list, but was Rabit Proof Fences nominated for anything? Was Robin Williams nominated for One Hour Photo? I can almost gauranty not. These awards are so ridiculous.

Groucho 02-11-03 04:17 PM

I no nothing about the Oscars.

sundog 02-11-03 04:30 PM

If I cared about the Oscars about 1/32nd of how much I care about movies in general I'd have around 30 ulcers.

badger1997 02-11-03 04:42 PM

Stop the whining. This happens every damn year. The Oscars are not the end all word when it comes to movies, just one group's opinion. The key word is OPINION. Their opinions as to what the best movies or performances were this year naturally won't line up exactly with yours, so just ignore it if it bugs you so much and don't complain about it. Do you see me complaining that you don't pick the best performances or movies in your best of list? After all, that is all the Oscars are, one group's best of list.

To prove my point, someone is upset because Robin Williams wasn't nominated this year. I love Williams and am a big fan, but in my opinion nothing he did deserved a nod this year. Who is right? Neither, because it is an opinion.

And for the record, I liked Gladiator better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Not that it would have been my choice to win, but I definitely liked it better than what you thought should win. And I would wager that somebody else thought the same about some other nominated film or one not nominated all together.

Lastblade 02-11-03 05:01 PM

Oscar should be renamed: OMGIDGAS

OMG, I don't give a sh....

Simpson Purist 02-11-03 05:06 PM

I really don't give a darn about who wins, but it's predicted who's going to win that makes watching the Oscars so damn_fun :D.

neiname 02-11-03 05:09 PM

Year after year I am getting more and more fed up. Pretty soon I probably will stop caring.

devilshalo 02-11-03 05:13 PM

I stopped caring a long, long time ago...

Chad 02-11-03 05:29 PM

The oscars have been a joke for quite some time. Yeah I watch them, but take them about as seriously as those damn Carrot Top commercials.

Smidget 02-11-03 05:32 PM

I want my favs to win over the overs and that's pretty much why I pay attention, also its nice to hear of some of the foreign movies that are nominated and check them out, like No Man's Land last year.......

Pants 02-11-03 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I no nothing about the Oscars.
Classic :lol:

the narrator 02-11-03 06:00 PM

I don't pay too much attention to the Oscars. Usually I will flip back and forth when they are on. Most of my favorites never get nominated

cultshock 02-11-03 06:55 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Ive never really cared, but I really hope Lilo & Stitch wins best animated movie. :D

As that would speed up the 2 disc set.

Sorry to disagree, but I really think (and hope) Spirited Away should win.

Er,ah, not that I really care about the Oscars or anything. ;)

fumanstan 02-11-03 07:55 PM

I've never cared about the Oscar's, just because i dislike half the movies that are nominated.

Ketamine 02-11-03 08:02 PM

Re: Anybody else not care about the Oscars?

Originally posted by darkflounder

Yes and yes. I liked all these movies but among these picks, I think the better movie won each time. Just my opinion though.

jarofclay73 02-11-03 08:24 PM

And I certainly don't think "Shakespeare In Love" is better than "Saving Private Ryan."

And, yes, I don't really care about the Oscars anymore. "Chicago" is going to win a lot of awards this year even though "Moulin Rouge" couldn't even get a best director nomination.

clemente 02-11-03 10:04 PM

My interest has alot to do with the pictures nominated and how I felt about them. This year I won't even be watching.

Aaron Amos 02-11-03 10:20 PM

I'm slowly losing interest in them.After all, it's just a popularity contest nowadays.

RyoHazuki 02-11-03 11:21 PM

Re: Anybody else not care about the Oscars?

Originally posted by darkflounder
Anybody else not give a damn about the oscars anymore?

The best performances never win, the best pictures never win.

The Academy Awards specifically reduces the chances of foreign films winning, and some of the best films this year were foreign.

Fvck Oscar, fvck him up his stupid ass.

Oh God! Those retards at the Academy snubbed Pulp Fiction. They honestly dont know anything. It is by far the greatest thing ever put on film. Thanks to that movie my hair grew back, my wife stopped cheating on me, i lost weight, my moms cancer went away and everyone in third world countries stopped fighting and had a meal together. Some movies get no respect. In fact, this makes me so mad Im gonna go finish building that Tarantino temple in my back yard.

Tarantino 02-12-03 12:29 AM

I don't give a damn about the Oscars.

Lord of the Rings a better picture than About Schmidt? I don't think so.

No Robin Williams nomination? No Ray Liotta? But Queen Latifa got the nod, of course.

I think people sit down and say 'lets make a movie that will win Oscars', and they do it...to cater to these goofs. Like Chicago, or the Hours.

I hate those movies.

Iron_Giant 02-12-03 01:00 AM

Saw Chicago with my wife and friends. OK movie, not great.

Michelle Z had better not win the Oscar. He was good, but not Oscar material.

Why can't a comedy when a Oscar now a days? I am tired of these boring, IMHO, movies always being voted on.