Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Four Feathers - any good?

Old 02-11-03, 01:43 PM
Cool New Member

Four Feathers - any good?

Has any one of you already seen 'Four Feathers' and
what do you think of it?
I've only seen a trailer some time ago and it looked kinda entertaining.Is it even a good blind buy?
Thanks!
Old 02-11-03, 01:45 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You might want to do a search in the movietalk section - from about 6 months ago.

I personally didn't think much of it.
Old 02-11-03, 05:20 PM

I was interested in seeing "The Four Feathers" when it hit the theaters but the more I heard about it (it being the umpteenth remake of the same story) and all the negative reviews, made me pass on it.

And not only that but Heath Ledger (the star) just dumped Naomi Watts (goddess-not-contained-in-the-film) because she was "too old for him" (not a quote, but a paraphrase) makes me seriously doubt why I'd want to watch a film with a young star so clearly off his rocker (on a tangent, Crispin Glover, clearly-off-his-rocker, was quite good in the first "Back to the Future" film, so my reasoning might be moot).
Old 02-11-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Lawrence of Arabia is a kobe steak, Four Feathers is a White Castle Hamburger. Sometimes you're in the mood for White Castle, but if you have the choice, ways and means, you'll take LOA anyday. I can't really call it a bad movie. But it's frustrating. There's enough good to make me think it wasn't an accident and the studio hacked it up to make it more marketable or attractive to time restraints(much like Blow). I think there was something good here, something grand wanted to happen, but it never quite gets off the ground. The extras I've heard don't excite me. Were it a directors cut, I'd check it out, but as is, I can't really recommend it. Borrow from a buddy or rent before buying, given the mixed reactions, its a good investment in this case.
Old 02-11-03, 06:06 PM
dhm

I had no interest in seeing it in the theaters, but then I saw the video screener and thought it wasnt that bad. Mildly entertaining... I dont however care to own the dvd when it comes out. But I would reccomend it as a rental.
Old 02-11-03, 11:00 PM

I thought the movie was rather tedious, since I saw it in the theatres, I have no desire to ever see it ever again.
Old 02-12-03, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks a lot! You guys really helped me (saving money).
Old 02-12-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wise decision.

Four Feathers has some "nice" moments but eventually fails to sustain any real emotional or intellectual involvement because we don't give a rat's [self-censor] buttocks [/self-censor] about the characters.

Last edited by jdpatri; 02-12-03 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 07:51 PM

jdpatri -- well said. I just got done watching this for the first time and couldn't agree more. The cardboard cut-out characters didn't do squat for me, and thus, the movie didn't either.
Old 07-12-04, 03:25 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I have the original(from the '30's or '40's) on LaserDisc. Great movie.
Haven't seen the remake.
Old 07-12-04, 04:33 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Staccatos

And not only that but Heath Ledger (the star) just dumped Naomi Watts (goddess-not-contained-in-the-film) because she was "too old for him" (not a quote, but a paraphrase) makes me seriously doubt why I'd want to watch a film with a young star so clearly off his rocker
Not really off his rocker, 25 vs. 35 is a big gap. She was probably ready to settle down, have kids, etc. and he wasn't. Her hotness can't overcome that.
Old 07-12-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the previews and advertising....

It looks dull. Really really dull. I mean like French movie dull..