Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The John C. Reilly Appreciation thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-11-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

While I mentioned in in the Oscar noms. thread, I wanted to devout a thread to the man who is in thee of the five films nominated for Best Picture (GONY, Chicago, and The Hours).

I honestly feel that this is an actor that is due for some good recognition. He practically made Boogie Nights in some of its lesser scenes (The Platinum Edition's JCR files made it worth the purchase), and was the best reason for watching Magnolia IMO.
In all honesty, his number in Chicago was very appropriate for him as an actor. Here's hoping he finally gets a lead role in a major studio flick someday!
Old 02-11-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I only recently discovered him in Chicago. I thought he was great in it but can't speak for his other movies.
Old 02-11-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of his best tends to get overlooked a lot - catch him in THE ANNIVERSARY PARTY - absolutely great performance!
Old 02-11-03, 10:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The John C. Reilly Appreciation thread

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

I honestly feel that this is an actor that is due for some good recognition. He practically made Boogie Nights in some of its lesser scenes (The Platinum Edition's JCR files made it worth the purchase), and was the best reason for watching Magnolia IMO.
In all honesty, his number in Chicago was very appropriate for him as an actor. Here's hoping he finally gets a lead role in a major studio flick someday!
I have been meaning to rent the Magnolia DVD and see if there are any additional John C. Reilly footage, his character's storyline seems a tad trunscated. He really surprised me in Chicago with his singing voice.
Old 02-11-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=183840

Old 02-11-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I really liked him in "The Good Girl," which IMHO was just a slightly above average movie with great performances. Reilly managed the tricky business of taking a stereotypical lunkhead husband role and giving him surprising depth. The scene at the end of the movie where the husband finds out about the wife's affair was just heartbreaking.