DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Stanley Kubrick's Films (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/270013-stanley-kubricks-films.html)

Buttmunker 02-09-03 05:49 PM

Stanley Kubrick's Films

It does surprise me that the Academy even recognizes films like "A Clockwork Orange" in 1971, when the times seemed just a wee bit conservative - we weren't yet in the Sexual Revolution.

That being said, I didn't get to see "Clockwork" until I was 23 years old, so I must say that I really enjoyed the film (considering the circumstances - I was with about 12 guys, with the ring-leader this red-headed kid who kept coming up with tid-bits (it was the same week that Mike Tysen bit the ear)

I never bothered with "2001," and according to all the members of this board, I suppose I never will bother (even Howard Stern condemns it - and I'm too old to use acid to view the film).

I saw "Dr. Strangelove" at the ripe old age of 27 - my boss lended me this old, worn out vhs copy to take home to watch, and I didn't really want to, but he forced me to. I began watching it reluctantly, and was surprised by my outright laughter! A surprise pleasure on my first viewing (and I'll admit that, although I don't get the same amusement watching on subsequent viewings, I still chuckle with the scenes with George C Scott).

Ah, "The Shining." I've spoken on this before, and I will simply sum up that I've always enjoyed the film because I saw it before I even knew how to read. I'll always love this film, and always distain the Stephen King TV mini-series because of that damn ugly kid.

1987's "Full Metal Jacket" had the greatest boot camp experience ever put to film! I was a marine, so I know how it was, and I must say it captured all the negatively quite nicely. Just one thing, though, and I don't know how it would have worked on film, but in real life...
when "Gomer Pyle" was in the latrine with the loaded M-16, and "Joker" walks in on him, trying to talk sense to him. Okay, "Gomer Pyle" obviously has had enough, and his mind flipped. "Joker" tried kindness, but it wasn't kindness from "Joker" that "Gomer Pyle" needed. It was kindness from the devil himself - the drill sergeant.
So...the drill sergeant comes into the latrine, and what does he do? He continues to berate "Gomer," by insulting him, yelling, belittling him. The drill instructor knew he had a loaded weapon, did he think he wasn't going to get shot? Perhaps he thought "Gomer" was still too gilly-livered. Ah, but I say, why take a chance?
I say this...if the drill instructor had dropped his tyrancy and became Joe Normal, and talked to Lawrence in a sane and understanding way, the drill instructor may have lived, and Lawrence could have received the much-needed help.

Film. I just don't know.

That brings us to "Eyes Wide Shut." Tom Cruise cruisin' the city for sex, and never even getting to second base (did he get to even kiss a chick? I don't remember). The film could have been much more explicit in its design, but it seemed reigned in by somebody...I don't know if it was Kubrick himself, or the rating board, but there was not one scene of sex in this Sexual Drama. Hmm. But I did like the film - I think Nicole Kidman should have been honored with an Oscar-nomination for supporting actress for her pot-smoking scenes (very convincing, to me).

Amadeus 02-09-03 05:56 PM

Kubrick is one of my favorite director's, even though he made one of the worst films ever in 2001.Eyes Wide Shut,The Shining,Spartacus and Full Metal Jacket,even though i didn't like the second half that much, are some of my favs.Strangelove is also a pretty good film.He's one of the biggest pioneers in film history in my opinion.It's just a shame the only oscar he got was for best visual effects in 2001.:( Oh, and yes Tom Cruise does kiss a chick in Eyes Wide Shut.:) However,
Spoiler:
she later turns out to have AIDS

audrey 02-09-03 09:39 PM

I can’t imagine skipping a movie that is considered a classic by so many critics and film historians just because a bunch of anonymous posters on the internet didn’t like it. 2001 may not be to your taste or appeal to your sensibilities, but that in no way detracts from the film’s significance. No great work of art appeals to everyone; yet there is value in the experience even when the viewer/reader/listener fails to connect with the work.

Mr. Salty 02-09-03 09:43 PM

Originally posted by audrey
I can’t imagine skipping a movie that is considered a classic by so many critics and film historians just because a bunch of anonymous posters on the internet didn’t like it. 2001 may not be to your taste or appeal to your sensibilities, but that in no way detracts from the film’s significance. No great work of art appeals to everyone; yet there is value in the experience even when the viewer/reader/listener fails to connect with the work.
I couldn't have said it better. No offense, but if you're turning to Howard Stern for advice on what movies to see, you probably won't like "2001."

Also, "Eyes Wide Shut" isn't about sex.

Amadeus 02-09-03 09:44 PM

Originally posted by audrey
I can’t imagine skipping a movie that is considered a classic by so many critics and film historians just because a bunch of anonymous posters on the internet didn’t like it.
I can imagine it.:) And by the way i'm not anonymous.If you want to know my life history just ask.:)

haliedoeshebron 02-09-03 11:35 PM

everyone should see 2001 at some point. it is one of the most amazing film experiences one can have.

Jericho 02-10-03 12:23 AM

Don't forget Kubrick's early work, including Paths of Glory, Lolita, and The Killing. Even Barry Lyndon I feel is somewhat underrated eventhough it's one of my least favorite Kubrick movies.

And why all the hating on 2001? I believe it's a fantastic film.

caiman 02-10-03 12:26 AM

I'm also a big Kubrick fan. The only movie I didn't like was Eyes Wide Shut, but it has been quite a while, and I might give it a second chance. Actually, I haven't seen a few of his older ones, such as Paths of Glory and Lolita.

Amadeus 02-10-03 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Jericho

And why all the hating on 2001?

Because it's :yack: :)

pagos77 02-10-03 06:51 AM

My Kubrick box set is my favourite dvd posession. No other director comes to mind that has handled this broad range of genres and done them all greatly as Kubrick has. Sci-Fi, drama, horror, comedy, period, love, etc. Most "great" directors stick to doing the one thing.

I love the look and style his films have and its a shame we wont be seeing anything else from this great man. Also his films have great replay value and stand the test of time extremely well.

And the fact that he himself has only won a single oscar for special effects in 2001 proves that the academy have no idea what they are going on about.

JLJanis 02-10-03 07:53 AM

Kubrick has long been one of my favorite directors, at least since my early twenties. To anyone considering giving Eyes Wide Shut a second (or third) chance, I cannot recommend it strongly enough -- typical of my response to some of his works, it was not until subsequent viewings that I really began to understand what he was truly up to.

Barry Lyndon remains his most perfectly realized work in my estimation, with 2001, Paths of Glory, and Dr. Strangelove always hovering close behind.

marty888 02-10-03 08:18 AM

<b><i>"I never bothered with "2001," and according to all the members of this board, I suppose I never will bother (even Howard Stern condemns it - and I'm too old to use acid to view the film)."</i></b>

Not <b>ALL</b> members of this board - not <b>this</b> member of the board - and saying that <i>even</i> Howard Stern condemns it goes a long way to helping us understand what standards you use in selecting movies.

garmonbozia 02-10-03 08:21 AM

Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director, no contest. I think his best films are 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, and Barry Lyndon....although if you ask me which one is my favorite, I'll probably give a different answer from those 3 depending on my mood. I cannot really choose between them. Anyone avoiding seeing these films because of some comments they read on the internet are doing themselves a disservice. For as many people who don't like them, there are just as many people who find them brilliant. If you're curious enough about the director to start or post in a thread about him, you might as well see them and decide for yourself.

Buttmunker 02-10-03 08:51 AM

Originally posted by marty888
<b><i>"I never bothered with "2001," and according to all the members of this board, I suppose I never will bother (even Howard Stern condemns it - and I'm too old to use acid to view the film)."</i></b>

Not <b>ALL</b> members of this board - not <b>this</b> member of the board - and saying that <i>even</i> Howard Stern condemns it goes a long way to helping us understand what standards you use in selecting movies.

Gazooks! It was a joke. I will refrain, and add that I never use Howard Stern, Siskel & Ebert, The Daily News or any other reviewer of entertainment because I generally tend to form my own opinions, and find that what I like is usually what they pan.

Good gravy, I just never got around to seeing it. If its that goddamned important to you, I'll go rent "2001" and give you my review on it.

MrN 02-10-03 12:19 PM

Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director, and my favorite film of all time is 2001: ASO.

Kubrick has great range in genres and I think the fact that his films have so many naysayers just proves how good of a director he was. That might be contradictory, but once you realize he knew what he was doing, you understand.

LBPound 02-10-03 12:25 PM

<b>2001</b> and <b>The Shining</b> are the only two Kubrick films that I really like.

<b>Full Metal Jacket</b> has moments of greatness, and <b>Paths of Glory</b> is a solid effort.

But the rest I consider, for the most part, overrated P'sOS. Eyes Wide Shut, Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange (horrendous and appalling), Dr. Strangelove (painfully unfunny).

I think he's highly overrated (of course that just means I'm too stupid to see why they're brilliant), and even <b>2001</b>, which I enjoy quite a bit, is highly overpraised. Greatest movie ever? Maybe if it had a logical plot one could follow. (Yes, I did read the book, and thought it was okay.)

So, that's my little Kubrick summary. I know I'm probably in the minority.

Johnny Zhivago 02-10-03 01:12 PM

Sorry, but I'm going to chime in on this again...

> <i>"I never bothered with "2001," and according to all the members of this board, I suppose I never will bother (even Howard Stern condemns it - and I'm too old to use acid to view the film)."</i>

You've obviously NOT read many of the threads concerning 2001... If you had, you would see that MANY of us consider it Kubrick's masterpiece and MANY more consider it the finest film ever made, this fan included. Do yourself a favor and check it out with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions. Also, you're never too old for acid. ;)

And while I'm here, as stated above... You've missed the point with Eyes Wide Shut completely. I suggest watching it a few more times. But hey, don't feel bad, most folks - MANY critics included - missed the point completely and panned the film without even knowing what it was about.

Amadeus 02-10-03 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago

You've obviously NOT read many of the threads concerning 2001... If you had, you would see that MANY of us consider it Kubrick's masterpiece and MANY more consider it the finest film ever made

I don't.I consider it :yack:.Now i know you all are getting tired of me saying this between every post, but whatever.:) And please do yourself a favor and do not even rent this piece of junk.

Buttmunker 02-10-03 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
And while I'm here, as stated above... You've missed the point with Eyes Wide Shut completely. I suggest watching it a few more times. But hey, don't feel bad, most folks - MANY critics included - missed the point completely and panned the film without even knowing what it was about.
So what was the point? Enlighten and entertain us.

Amadeus 02-10-03 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker
So what was the point?
Sex.:)

Buttmunker 02-10-03 03:44 PM

That's what I thought. About some guy who's lookin' to screw around, but just can't get it together.

Amadeus 02-10-03 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker
That's what I thought. About some guy who's lookin' to screw around, but just can't get it together.
:up: :hump:

Pants 02-10-03 03:55 PM

2001 is my favorite movie of all time

I listen to Howard Stern everyday and love his show, but he has the single worst taste in movies of anyone I've ever heard discuss movies. (When Robin did the news the day after Kubrick died, Howard went on a rant about how he didn't like kubricks films and he roughly related the same story from Private Parts about how he went to see 2001 with his friend Dave and how Howard hated the movie, etc. Then someone called in and "explained" 2001. At that point Howard conceded that there must have been parts he missunderstood and that he at least needed to watch it again. Bottom line, Howard doesn't know s**t about movies.)

Amadeus 02-10-03 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Pants
Bottom line, Howard doesn't know s**t about movies.)
No he does not.But he's right about 2001.:)

MrN 02-10-03 03:59 PM

If you've already made up your mind not to like 2001 or Eyes Wide Shut then I don't think anyone can convince you otherwise. Ultimately the film stands for itself, and it is pointless for someone else to interpret it for you.

I will say one thing though - EWS is not about sex and many people think of it as a dream/fantasy.