DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Godfather IV - It May Very Well Happen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/269547-godfather-iv-may-very-well-happen.html)

dgc 02-07-03 01:32 PM

Godfather IV - It May Very Well Happen

http://www.msnbc.com/news/869507.asp?0cv=CB20

Taking over ‘the family’ business - Contest yields new author to pick up Puzo’s Corleone epic:

Feb. 7 — "It’s been more than 30 years since Mario Puzo wrote his blockbuster novel “The Godfather” — selling 20 million copies and giving birth to some of the most memorable characters in modern fiction and film. Puzo died 3 years ago at the age of 78, but fans may be happy to learn that, despite that, there soon will be a new “Godfather” book. This fall the Puzo family and Random House announced a contest to pick a new writer to carry on the story of the Corleone family and NBC News national correspondent Jaime Gangel, has an exclusive peek behind the scenes." - The Today Show

kian69 02-07-03 01:34 PM

hmmm not too sure about this one, let's just hope they won't mess it up.

LBPound 02-07-03 01:59 PM

Oh, I'm *SURE* it will be great.

MrX 02-07-03 02:58 PM

Re: Godfather IV - It May Very Well Happen

Originally posted by dgc
but fans may be happy to learn that, despite that, there soon will be a new “Godfather” book.
:lol:

For how highly part 3 is regarded I'm sure people will welcome this with open arms.

Groucho 02-07-03 03:02 PM

They didn't advertise the contest too well...only 40 entries? It's not American Idol, but you'd think that every wannabe writer in America would take a shot.

LivingINClip 02-07-03 04:29 PM

I love the complete trilogy, but I do NOT want a fourth one!

The Nature Boy 02-07-03 04:40 PM

I"d welcome it. For one, we'd be centering the action around one of the best Puzo character, chronciling Sonny's rise in "Pop"'s organization.

Godfather III is surely dreck next to the first two, but I HIGHLY recommend viewing it with Coppola's commentary. Some much needed light is shed on the project and process, and the fact that Paramount entirely rushed every process involved, and Coppola basically needed the money, so when they "made an offer he coudln't refuse", he got on board the Titanic. Key elements including...

-Winona Ryder's dropping out within a week of principal photography. Not wanting to set the project back weeks with casting a new Mary Corleone, he chose his daughter, who he knew could be "compitent"(she's clearly the weak link, but passable, Ryder would've been gold)

-No Robert Duval. His insistence on a higher salary(equal to Pacino's) kept him from joining up, and instead, his well written and crafted part, which would have explained a lot more of the machinations of the Corleone's was basically dumped on George Hamilton, in a glorified stand-in capacity, scaling back much of some the depth)

-Very small editing window. Think of the magic that eminated with Godfather I, the magic of the unscripted, yet much loved, 5 family murder/babtism, came from editing, not the script(my personal favorite sequence ever in a film). As much a rhythm exists in the first two, is totally absent in this.

If proper time were given, this might be the appropriate coda the Godfather films have deserved(and Coppola discusses this at the end of his commentary in Part III). He seems to take the attitude that III is so incomplete, that he almost needs to do Part IV to properly punctuate the series.

It would be intrguing to reenlist Robert DeNiro as the middleaged Don, while recasting Andy Garcia to run the same sort of Pararell storyline of Godfather Part II.

Numanoid 02-07-03 04:54 PM

moving to Book Forum

purplechoe 02-07-03 05:20 PM

old news - http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=godfather

Supermallet 02-07-03 11:27 PM

Has anyone pointed out that the contest here is to write a new Godfather BOOK, while the only Godfather MOVIE based on a book is the original? Mario Puzo had a hand in writing Parts II and III, but he never wrote novels with those stories in them. Even when this book gets written (and I think it's stupid), don't expect Coppola to turn it into a movie.

Josh-da-man 02-08-03 03:54 AM

Will Kevin J. Anderson be writing it?

theneobez 02-08-03 12:01 PM

Anderson wrote the Star Wars X-Wing Series write?

RyoHazuki 02-08-03 02:30 PM

(I'm sorry aboot this but if i don't do it someone else will)

Godfather IV
Directed By Micheal Bay

Starring
Ben Affleck as Mike Corleone's illegitamite son Donnie

Britney Spears as Maria Rizzo, Donnie's love intrest

Extras will all be cgi characters by ILM.

Chad 02-08-03 03:28 PM

Just saw this scrolled by while watching E!:

College Professor Mark Winegardner has won a contest to write the next "Godfather" novel. "The Godfather Returns" is scheduled for fall of 2004.

This really scares me.

Amadeus 02-08-03 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Chad
Just saw this scrolled by while watching E!:

College Professor Mark Winegardner has won a contest to write the next "Godfather" novel. "The Godfather Returns" is scheduled for fall of 2004.

This really scares me.

You kidding me? He won a contest to write another Godfather.This world is really going to hell.:yack:

Sunday Morning 02-08-03 05:53 PM

I would have robin william's character in jack be the new godfather.

DRG 02-08-03 05:58 PM

The Godfather Returns??? Good lord... what's next?

Godfather Episode V: Attack of the Corleones?
"Begun this mob war has!"

Austin Corleone in The Goldfather?
"Who puts a horse head in someone's bed? Honestly!"

Amadeus 02-08-03 07:18 PM

Originally posted by DRG
The Godfather Returns??? Good lord... what's next?

Godfather Episode V: Attack of the Corleones?
"Begun this mob war has!"

Austin Corleone in The Goldfather?
"Who puts a horse head in someone's bed? Honestly!"

rotfl rotfl rotfl

How about

Godfather Strikes Back...With a Vengeance...Mob Vengeance...Again...For the 4th or 5th time...

Starring Jay Mohr as Da' Godfada

and featuring

Twikoff as The Guy

rexinnih 02-08-03 09:04 PM

This is almost as bad as if someone, other than the original author, wrote a sequel to Gone With the Wind and they made a TV mini-series about it.......... oh...............never mind.........

milo bloom 02-08-03 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Amadeus
rotfl rotfl rotfl

How about

Godfather Strikes Back...With a Vengeance...Mob Vengeance...Again...For the 4th or 5th time...

Starring Jay Mohr as Da' Godfada

and featuring

Twikoff as The Guy

You do know Jay Mohr was in the very funny Godfather spoof Mafia! right?

I actually saw Mafia! before I saw the Godfather movies. It was kinda hard to keep a straight face in some scenes of the GF movies.

Amadeus 02-09-03 07:15 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
You do know Jay Mohr was in the very funny Godfather spoof Mafia! right?

Of course.That's why he's perferct to play Da' Godfada.Who knows? He might win an Oscar for Best Supporting Twikoff.:D

Twikoff would take the lead oscar of course.:D

Young Vito 02-10-03 11:55 AM

Godfather 4 announced!

I just got a message on my 2-way, a sequel to the godfather trilogy has been announced and will be out by the end of the year!!

This could be good or bad news

LBPound 02-10-03 12:26 PM

Moving to Book Talk.

Numanoid 02-10-03 01:22 PM

Re-post:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=godfather