DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Soderberg and Clooney present... NINE QUEENS remake! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/269413-soderberg-clooney-present-nine-queens-remake.html)

JonTurner 02-06-03 10:53 PM

Soderberg and Clooney present... NINE QUEENS remake!

but Soderberg's not directing it...

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - The Argentine thriller "Nine Queens" is being turned into an English-language picture by Steven Soderbergh (news) and George Clooney (news), who hit the jackpot in 2001 with their remake of "Ocean's 11."

"Queens" follows a day in the life of two con artists. It swept the 2001 Argentine Film Assn. Awards, including best picture. Sony Pictures Classics released the film in the United States last spring.

Soderbergh and Clooney will produce the remake through their Section Eight Prods. banner, which is based at Warner Bros. Soderbergh's longtime first assistant director, Gregory Jacobs, will make his directorial debut and co-write the script with Soderbergh.

"For years, George and I have been trying to find a project for Greg to direct, and we all feel this material hits the bull's eye: a street-level contemporary crime film with brilliant plotting and complex characters," Soderbergh said.
I liked the original, but honestly, ENOUGH with the remakes! All it takes is a little popularity for a foreign film these days, and someone in Hollywood's gotta do it.

linkage

badger1997 02-06-03 11:25 PM

Who cares if it's a remake? Too much gets made of that. Not every film is a piece of art and some are just made to entertain. What matters in the end is if it is any good. If it's good, fine. It's it not, who cares because it will go away quickly enough and it won't change my feeling for the original in any way.

DonnachaOne 02-07-03 12:11 AM

I don't mind remaking foreign films for domestic audiences, actually. If the remake's great, well... it's great. If not, then the original film isn't suddenly worse.

I mean, look at La Femme Nikita. And by saying "look at La Femme Nikita", I of course mean don't look at Point Of No Return.

haliedoeshebron 02-07-03 02:11 AM

yeh but like if i want to watch nine queens ill watch nine queens
i dont need 2 nine queens
how about making something that hasnt already been made for a change
im sure theres alot of writers lookin for work

sundog 02-07-03 08:51 AM

So, it's come full circle. Hollywood is remaking foreign films that are directly inspired by Hollywood genres.

slop101 02-07-03 03:27 PM

Yeah, what's with Soderberg and remakes:

Traffic
Ocean's 11
Solaris

I think there's more...

Supermallet 02-07-03 11:30 PM

Soderbergh is now on my "crap" list. The man is a great director, but he has so little sense it's astonishing. Ocean's Twelve, Solaris, this? It's not that I think he's a sellout, I just think he's making bad movies, or attaching himself to bad movies. And why does he always have to use George Clooney and Julia Roberts? They're both so annoying.

Giles 02-07-03 11:53 PM

Soderberg needs to actually come up with 'new' ideas and stories, the remake BS is getting old.

LBPound 02-07-03 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Soderbergh is now on my "crap" list. The man is a great director, but he has so little sense it's astonishing. Ocean's Twelve, Solaris, this? It's not that I think he's a sellout, I just think he's making bad movies, or attaching himself to bad movies. And why does he always have to use George Clooney and Julia Roberts? They're both so annoying.
Wow, you've already seen Ocean's Twelve and his Nine Queens remake? And to think, I didn't even know that they'd started production yet. Boy, you're fast!

Coral 02-08-03 06:30 AM

So is Soderbergh gonna do something original ever again?

What really bothers me is that we're getting remakes of foreign films only a few years after the original.

Insomnia was released in '97 - remake in 2002.
Open Your Eyes was released in '97 - remake (Vanilla Sky) in 2001.
and now Nine Queens?

There's probably more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

garmonbozia 02-08-03 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
my thoughts exactly.........and he used to be one of my favorite directors.....

badger1997 02-08-03 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Coral
So is Soderbergh gonna do something original ever again?

What really bothers me is that we're getting remakes of foreign films only a few years after the original.

Insomnia was released in '97 - remake in 2002.
Open Your Eyes was released in '97 - remake (Vanilla Sky) in 2001.
and now Nine Queens?

There's probably more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

See, but who cares? Why does it bother you so much? I just don't understand that. If you don't want to see them, don't see them. But a lot of people I know, and I would agree to a point, felt the remakes were quality, entertaining movies and in some ways improved over the originals.

Like I said before, either a remake sucks and it shouldn't affect your original feeling for the original, or it's great and entertaining, and that shouldn't affect how you feel about the original either. But either way, you have the choice of simply not seeing the movie rather than everybody whining about it endlessly.

jaeufraser 02-08-03 06:31 PM

These remakes of foreign films into domestic releases...honestly, it's not that big a deal. Here we have a good story idea, done in english and released to the mass market. Sure, you say just rerelease the foreign film but when, I mean, when ever has that worked? If you remake a film that most people would never watch, for whatever reason, then the new film does have validity as it opens up a story to a much larger audience. Quite frankly, is that so bad? And, doesn't having a story in english and local characters make for a far more involving story sometimes? This "remakes are bad!" sentiment is kinda silly when good movies like Insomnia can come about from it.

MarcinL 02-08-03 07:57 PM

Steven needs some new actors in his movies besides George Clooney and mr Cheadle, also no more Julia Roberts, she sucks.

I hears the other day that Steven said that Clooney might be one of the best actors in hollywood, and maybe the best thing since slice of bread, Thats just Sad, the man is one role man.

Jericho 02-09-03 01:39 AM

Originally posted by slop101
Yeah, what's with Soderberg and remakes:

Traffic
Ocean's 11
Solaris

I think there's more...

The 2002 Insomnia remake was produced by Soderbergh and Clooney. I'm guessing they're looking for great stories that don't cost too much. At least with remakes of foriegn films, you bring them to a much wider audience. I have no problems with it.

Buck Turgidson 02-09-03 05:37 AM

After this, they can remake 8 1/2, 12 Monkeys and 10.