Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Unpopular MOVIE Opinion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on the ever popular thread in the Otter forum, voice your totally unpopular opinion on movies. Same rules apply, no flaming for opinions expressed here, though some smart ass comments are perfectly welcome. Have no fear and post your completely UNPOPULAR opinions about movies and any related topic concerning movies and people that make them.

And please don't post stuff like "Titanic Sucks" because that's hardly an unpopular opinion.

I'll go first.

Ghost World is a terrible and boring film. I just don't see what everyone here sees in this film. I wanted to slap the s**t out of the main character and I was not too far off from being like her in High School. I bought the DVD sight unseen based on opinions here and immediately sold it on Ebay.

Last edited by sherm42; 02-06-03 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
two words: "Chasing Amy"

The over the top praise for this movie, I simply do not understand. One the worst movies I ever subjected myself to.
The inane dialogue, and the female protagonist's voice just made my head hurt.

Last edited by Giles; 02-06-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider-Man didn't deserve to clear $100 million. It was a snooze-fest.

The Matrix (the first movie) was a poorly crafted (story-wise) circle-jerk of a sci-fi action film. I have more hope for the sequels, though not much.
Old 02-06-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kung Pow Enter the Fist.

It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Everyone hates it. But if you like MS3K type stuff this movie is pure gold. They took a 70's kung foo movie and dubbed a new soundtrack and replaced the main star with Steve Odekerk. The way they put Steve Odekerk (spell??) into it as the main star has never been done before and they did it very well. Some of the jokes fall flat but 90% of the stuff is great. The thing hurting this movie was the trailer. It doesn't do the movie any justice and it turned a lot of people off. Most of the people I've talked to about it haven't seen it and said that they thought it was stupid by just seeing the trailer. It is much better than most comedies that have come out lately. Because its so off the wall.
Old 02-06-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Hours was an awful awful movie, I don't see why it won the Best Picture award at the Globes, and why people adore it that much. Nothing about it was THAT great. Yuck!
Old 02-06-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Schindler's List - The holocaust was no big deal. Do we really need ANOTHER movie that is 197 min long about it?
Old 02-06-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Stanley Kubrick is like Barbra Streisand... An amazing initial talent who then became a pretentious and egotistical bore, ruined by "creative control."

Last edited by adamblast; 02-06-03 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:52 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
BOTTLE ROCKET -how boring is this piece of crap!!
Watching White-Trashies commiting petty crime!-I see this in everyday life and on the News at 6 everytime.
There is a reason why this movie is still Underground and not getting enuff attention--It just simply BLOWS on all levels!!!
The most OVERRATED Indie film ever imo!!!!!---and it should be ashame of itself for having me calling an Indie film overrated.
Old 02-06-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Chasing Amy: I hated that movie and to tell you the truth I never cared for any of Smith's movies.

Thought Spider Man was a waste too.

XXX is a joke.

DavidLynchFan: wow! I loved bottle rocket, but hey what is one man's treasure is another man's junk.

Boogie Nights: I hated this movie...walked out on it. Tried to watch it again (roller girl is nice to look at). I just had a hard time watching such losers...I did have some laughs but overall disliked it.

The last one that I know I will get some flak for: 2001 space odyessy: Oh man...I want to like this movie but it is dreadfully boring and I just thought it was full of wasted time....but like I said:

My junk may be your treasure!
Old 02-06-03, 02:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Unpopular MOVIE Opinion Thread

Originally posted by sherm42
Ghost World is a terrible and boring film. I just don't see what everyone here sees in this film. I wanted to slap the s**t out of the main character and I was not too far off from being like her in High School.
I liked the film more than you did, but to a certain extent I agree. The problem was that the main characters were portrayed as an "individual" and "different," where in reality 99% of high school kids (pretty much anybody who isn't in the popular crowd) are the same way.

As for my unpopular opinions in 2002 movies. I didn't like Signs and I didn't like The Hours. Over in the The Hours thread those of us who dared to disagree with the majority got the canned "Well, XXX just came out on DVD!" response. Yawn.
Old 02-06-03, 02:23 PM

You think Jay & Silent Bob are bad, one-note jokes in the comics, you should try dealing with them in real life. Yes - they are real people... real stupid people.

Trust me - any movie based on those two is gonna lick balls, because they both, in fact, lick balls. Namely, each other's.

P.S. - 'Clash of the Titans' doesn't stand the test of time.

Signed,

Darth Randal
Old 02-06-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually liked Big Daddy. I can't wait to see Punch Drunk Love, but I thought overall Bid Daddy was a good flick. As for his 13 christmas nights movie or whatever that cartoon junk was, no thanks.
Old 02-06-03, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by davidlynchfan
BOTTLE ROCKET -how boring is this piece of crap!!
Watching White-Trashies commiting petty crime!-I see this in everyday life and on the News at 6 everytime.
There is a reason why this movie is still Underground and not getting enuff attention--It just simply BLOWS on all levels!!!
The most OVERRATED Indie film ever imo!!!!!---and it should be ashame of itself for having me calling an Indie film overrated.
amen brother!

I also have to say I found Waking Life to be overly self indulgent, holier than thou philosophical mumbo jumbo piece of shite. A grueling, tedious movie that solely existed just to be annoying.
Old 02-06-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kevin Smith has no talent.

Lord of the Rings was the most boring movie I have ever seen.

I don't like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 02-06-03, 02:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Woody Allen movies are, with a couple of exceptions, pretentious and unfunny.
Old 02-06-03, 02:52 PM

I hate Kevin Smith and pretty much everything he has made. His characters just aren't funny, and he needs to lose weight.

The Blair Witch Project is one of the greatest horror films ever made.

American History X is a pretentous piece of after school special fluff.

Anyone who likes Steven King's version of The Shining needs to have their head examined.

I feel like Larry King.
Old 02-06-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spider-man was a bad film full of nothing but product placements, bad acting, and cheesy special effects.
Old 02-06-03, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by caiman
I hate Kevin Smith and pretty much everything he has made. His characters just aren't funny, and he needs to lose weight.
yikes!

Did Kevin Smith steal some of your baseball cards or something?
Old 02-06-03, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by kneijst1
I actually liked Big Daddy. I can't wait to see Punch Drunk Love, but I thought overall Bid Daddy was a good flick. As for his 13 christmas nights movie or whatever that cartoon junk was, no thanks.
my roommate subjected me to Mr. Deeds an utter waste of my time, it wasn't even funny.

The critical slobbering over Punch Drunk Love was overboard. The praise was for the fact that Sandler has never really been in a film outside his genre, comedy. Secondly, have you ever seen Sandler being interviewed one-on-one? he is as shy and introverted as his character in PUNCH DRUNK.
Old 02-06-03, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Spider-man was a bad film full of nothing but product placements, bad acting, and cheesy special effects.
and a disapointing climatic dual.
Old 02-06-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
and a disapointing climatic dual.
Thanks for reminding me. What in the hell was Sam Raimi thinking by putting in a Matrix-style-kung-foo-slow-motion-dodge-the-throwing-stars duel at the end.
Old 02-06-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Blue Crush
xXx
The Fast And The Furious
Mr. Deeds

All 4 were entertaining and fun IMO.
Old 02-06-03, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
Woody Allen movies are, with a couple of exceptions, pretentious and unfunny.
I'm with you on this one brother. I actually hate Woody Allen and don't understand why so many Hollywood stars fall all over themselves to be in his movies.

Last edited by sherm42; 02-06-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Blue Crush
xXx
The Fast And The Furious
Mr. Deeds

All 4 were entertaining and fun IMO.
I'd be very curious to know what you thought were the worst movies of last year were.
Old 02-06-03, 03:14 PM

Stanley Kubrick is vastly overrated. With the exception of Dr. Strangelove, I can't think of one movie of his that I like.

And also, Scream is one of the best horror films of all time. The first one that is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.