Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible Plot for Amazing Spider-Man (Spidey Sequel, may contain spoilers))

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this from a website that may not be reliable, but is sounds like a pretty good premise.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MAY BE REGARDED AS A SPOILER FOR POEPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO KNOW THA MAIN PREMISE. BUT THAT'S ALL IT IS.

The plot will go something like this: Peter Parker continues his feelings for Mary Jane, and his friendship with Harry, his job at the Daily Bugle, and of course his web-slinging adventures. When a beautiful thief known as the Black Cat shows up, Peter is torn between taking her in, and falling in love with her; and between her and Mary Jane.
But the movie would pretty much suck if that was it. An explosion at a laboratory leaves one scientist, Dr. Otto Octavius, with metallic tantacles attatched to his body, and another, Parker's old boss Dr. Curt Conners, missing an arm. As Octavius goes mad and runs amock on a crime spree, calling himself Dr. Octopus, Dr. Connors develops a serum made from lizard's blood, in hopes to regrow his lost arm like lizards regrow their lost limbs. Foolishly, he tests in on himself. The good news is, he grew his arm back. The bad news is: He's turned himself into a rampaging 6 foot lizard to raid the streets.
Spidey's got double trouble on his hands!

EDIT: Spelling is not my friend. (The original poster, not me of coarse! )

Sounds like a good story on paper but a little heavy on the characters. (Lizard, Doc Ock, and Black Cat all at once?)

A bit of trivia for you. For those of you that saw the test footage of Toby Maguire saving the girl from the muggers on the DVD, well, that was Eliza Dushku (face hidden for some reasons, and if you don't know who she is, you really have no business on internet forums like this), who is allegedly a good friend of Sam Raimi's. Anyway, I thought that scene would be a good opening for the new Spider-Man; it re-introduces our favorite super hero and a new love interest in the same thread. Also, wouldn't it be cool if the girl in that footage was actually the character of Felicia Hardy? In short, wouldn't Eliza Dushku be a great Black Cat? (Wearing a wig worked for Dunst, I'm sure a blond one wouldn't hurt Eliza.)

My casting for the new flick:

Doc Ock: Stellan Skarsgard
Doc Connors: Kiefer Sutherland
Black Cat: Eliza Dushku, of course!
Old 02-04-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Possible Plot for Amazing Spider-Man (Spidey Sequel, may contain spoilers))

(Wearing a wig worked for Dunst, I'm sure a blond one wouldn't hurt Eliza.)
The Black Cat has white hair, doesn't she?
Old 02-04-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Possible Plot for Amazing Spider-Man (Spidey Sequel, may contain spoilers))

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Sounds like a good story on paper but a little heavy on the characters. (Lizard, Doc Ock, and Black Cat all at once?)
It actually sounds like a horrible story for exactly the reason you stated. And I think Kiefer Sutherland might be a bit too "intense" for the role of Curt Connors. But I think Eliza would be great as Black Cat (but I love her in anything).
Old 02-04-03, 08:31 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Possible Plot for Amazing Spider-Man (Spidey Sequel, may contain spoilers))

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
It actually sounds like a horrible story for exactly the reason you stated. And I think Kiefer Sutherland might be a bit too "intense" for the role of Curt Connors. But I think Eliza would be great as Black Cat (but I love her in anything).
Yeah i agree that having too many villains is not a good idea.
Old 02-04-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bring on Eliza and cast Kristin Kreuk as Betty Brant!
Old 02-04-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't work... at least on paper... it's been tried before:

Doc Oct:Lizard:Black Cat::Mr. Freeze:Bain:Poison Ivy
Old 02-04-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too complicated. No reason for the Lizard to be involved. BTW how about a source for the website you got this from?
Old 02-04-03, 10:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Overloading the story with villains is a sure sign the writers aren't doing a good enough job characterizing the main villain. Instead you get a bunch of lightly established bad guys. It wrecked the Batman series IMO, and it depletes the potential of the series when they use all the villains up in the first few films.
Old 02-05-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Michael Chabon is a terrific writer - have faith in him.

As for the "spoiler", it's just guessing as to the movie's villains. It sounds like one of those wrestling websites:

BRET HART TO RETURN TO WWE!!!!!!

Bret Hart said he would never return, but you never know, he could change his mind.

Old 02-05-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i would have more faith in Sam Rami pulling off 2-3 villans than i would Tim Burton (wasn't Batman Returns the first superhero to overload its story with villans? Max Schreck, Catwoman, and the Penguin-).
Rami has proved to me that he understands the fundementals of telling a good story.While Burtons films, imo, have never risen above being a collection of visually interesting anecdotes.
as far as B&R goes, it had more problems than just being weighted down with extraneous characters.
it had some of the most skull-numbing dialouge i've ever heard for one thing, and the choice of the two antagonists was fundementally ill-concieved.
one pro flora, the other wanted to freeze everything in sight...they would have been working at cross purposes (if the script had taken any of it seriously).

i'm sure that the synopsis of TAS in this thread is just speculation but if i had to pare it down to a more streamlined narrative i would ditch the Felica Hardy Character. i would give Betty Brant the role of romantic rival to MJ ( hate to say it, but the more i watch the movie, the more i see a distinct lack of chemistry between Dunst & Maguire).
Brants character would already be a natrual accessory to any scenes taking place in the Bugle, and wouldn't have to be shoe-horned in the way a Black-Cat sub plot would.
as far as the Lizard/Doc Ock-
the prob i see with the lizard is this...

1) you have the lab explosion- conners loses arm/ock gets tentacles (here the story splints into plotlines A; the lizard/conners and B; dock ock)
2) story would have to focus back on Parker at some point (he is the protagonist after all), and his romantic life which would become plot-line C-

the only way i see to weild as much of these disparate threads into a more streamlined story would be to have Parker be there for the origin of the lizard.
Pete can be brought in to offer condolences to Conner and his family as he is recovering- since you need a scene after the explosion and before he takes the serum that shows that conners is THINKING about a remedy for his condition. he can't just go from losing the arm to taking the serum- there needs to be linking scene that shows WHY he is desperete to try something like this- and these tree sequences need to be interspersed with
-Doc Ocks development of a motive/plan for the rest of the film

the focus of the movie needs to remain on Pete otherwise he becomes a bland cypher to which everything happens around him (the fate that befell most of the Batman movies)

they could bring in pete to assist conners ( "i always though you had potential parker...i just couldn't handle your undependability- that's why i had to fire you- but i know you have a keen scientific mind).
so we see pete and conners working on the formula-testing it- and pete/spiderman gets to b the sole witness to what happens when the formula goes wrong.
pete/spiderman feels (guilty? responisble?) and vows to track/corral the deformed scientist before he can do any more damage to himself, before the media gets wind of what has happend and it impacts the doctors family , and so that he can work on an antidote and rectify what has happend

from here on out, the lizard can be first and foremost on the protagonists agenda, but he doesn't actually have to actually be on-screen much (assuming he doesn't have a 'master plan' for something- thats what would screw everything up-)
so in the search for conners/the lizard he has to contend with some guy with tentacles who does have a master-plan for something and is causing some havoc.

in short, i can see the Lizard working if the characters only "plan" is to seek sanctuary/isolation in the city and violenty attacks when distrurbed or threated by some civilian that unknowingly stumbles across him ( Construction workers, bums, workers checking cables in the sewers, etc).
he should be a background character (as opposed to something like the Goblin who made dramatic public appearences and then was splashed across the front page of the bugle.
if pete knows about him and wants to find him- that's enough.

i don't have a clue as to how they can use doc ock- what his plan is, etc, but using the lizard in this capacity would leave room for another character (ock) to be used as the Primary antagonist.

Last edited by ckolchak; 02-05-03 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Yeah - that's what we need: another super hero movie with a ton of bad guys. Yup. Just what we need.

I don't know why people are afraid of continuity. You know, you do have a franchise - do something with it then. Set up conners a movie ahead of time - more than just the one line throwaway from the first movie. Some kind of background character that we grow to like - and then feel something for when bad things happen to him in the next film.
Old 02-05-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Yeah - that's what we need: another super hero movie with a ton of bad guys. Yup. Just what we need.

I don't know why people are afraid of continuity. You know, you do have a franchise - do something with it then. Set up conners a movie ahead of time - more than just the one line throwaway from the first movie. Some kind of background character that we grow to like - and then feel something for when bad things happen to him in the next film.
i 100% agree with you.
that's so much better of a solution and one of the prime qualities of the Marvel comics that stuck out when i was a kid (in the 70's) was the fact that they, especially Spiderman, had strong month- to month continuity. DC's were still in single issue story mode, with only small references made to previous events, when neccesary.

they've already foreshadowed Harry as being a future antagonist and i would hope they will just continue to develop this for at least one more film until they actually use him.

i was just speculating on HOW they could get by with two villans.
i really don't think more than 1 antagonist per story is ever ideal.
Old 02-07-03, 10:34 AM

Hasnt Robert Deniro already been confirmed to play Doc Octopus in the new flick??