Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New York - A Documentary film by Ric Burns

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDTalk link

I recieved this DVD box set for Christmas, and is by far one of the best documentary films that I have ever seen. There is one 2 hour episode per disc, and there are 7 discs in the box set.

I have spent the last few weeks watching this great film by Ric Burns. It chronicles the entire histroy of New York City from it's beginnings as an outpost of a Dutch trading company, through the turbulent 1800's, and into the moder era. You witness the history of the city through the eyes and words of its citizens. Did you know that 1/8 th of Ireland's entire population emigrated to NYC in the early 1800s? It is utterly fascinating to watch the city's population explode from 5000 in 1776 to over 7 million by 1929. You get to see how the skyline formed, and how Tammany Hall drove the city's politcal machine until La Guardia was elected mayor. As the city grows, it becomes a little more heartbreaking to watch all of the changes the city goes through for the better and worse.

This is a must buy for anyone who wants to know what New York is truly all about, and why it is the world's greatest social experiment.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 02-05-03 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-03, 01:22 AM
Cool New Member

i agree, it was a truely compelling documentary so much i didn't know!

its a shame more people haven't seen it yet.
Old 02-05-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're currently (slowly) going through this set right now... watching one segment every week or so. I agree -- great stuff.