Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Woohoo! Starship Troopers 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Woohoo! Starship Troopers 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gdrlv
From what I understand (I'm no expert on the matter), Heinlein was a fascist. The society that he envisioned in Starship Troopers was depicted as utopian until the alien insects came along and screwed everything up for the humans. And the society he depicted was definitely fascist. Verhoeven added the satire...
fas·cism

1. often Fascism
1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Why do people think this society was fascist? It was a society where citizens could vote, and anyone could become a citizen (by joining the military.) There were lashings for smaller offences, and hanging for capital offences, but that doesn't necessarily imply fascism.

I am not saying it was a utopia, but it was a far cry from fascism.
Old 04-24-03, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
This sounds horible. Tyler's right. the film will be totally lacking in satire
you sure? now, according to moviehole.com (see below), American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson scored a leading part! this should be fun!

From moviehole.com, 04/22/03
Just in, the official cast list for the soon to be shooting "Starship Troopers 2" - Those that have got the nod to star in the Phil Tippett sequel are; [in alphabetical order] Billy Brown, Richard Burgi, Kelly Carlson, Cy Carter, Sandrine Holt, Ed Lauter ["Cujo"], J.P. Manoux, Lawrence Monoson, Colleen Porch, Drew Powel, Ed Quinn, Jason-Shane Scott, Brenda Strong ("Red Dragon"). The film begins shooting next month in LA. Conflicting reports suggesting the lead was Kelly Clarkson [not Carlson] have been proven untrue. Damn, I'm sure many would have been excited to see her ripped in two!
Old 04-24-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
fas·cism
Why do people think this society was fascist? It was a society where citizens could vote, and anyone could become a citizen (by joining the military.) There were lashings for smaller offences, and hanging for capital offences, but that doesn't necessarily imply fascism.
It would be hard to argue that a society that was basically run by the military wasn't fascist.

That the "citizens" were able to vote in such a society was pretty much a joke. The only people that are allowed to vote would only vote a certain way, essentially rubber-stamping any actions the military/government wanted to take.

And, yes, the use of violence to maintain social order pretty much screams fascism.

The whole society that Heinlein created for that book was based upon stringent order through violence or the threat of it.
Old 04-24-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by custom001
you sure? now, according to moviehole.com (see below), American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson scored a leading part! this should be fun!

Just in, the official cast list for the soon to be shooting "Starship Troopers 2" - Those that have got the nod to star in the Phil Tippett sequel are; [in alphabetical order] Billy Brown, Richard Burgi, Kelly Carlson, Cy Carter, Sandrine Holt, Ed Lauter ["Cujo"], J.P. Manoux, Lawrence Monoson, Colleen Porch, Drew Powel, Ed Quinn, Jason-Shane Scott, Brenda Strong ("Red Dragon"). The film begins shooting next month in LA. Conflicting reports suggesting the lead was Kelly Clarkson [not Carlson] have been proven untrue. Damn, I'm sure many would have been excited to see her ripped in two!
If you read the last sentence, this proved to be false.
Old 07-10-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
http://www.starshiptroopers2.net/ie/bindex1.html

I haven't read the script yet.. dunno if I want to.
Old 07-10-03, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Damn, I was hopingf for a full-blown theatrical release for a sequel. Well, this can't be any worse than The Arrival II...
thats a perfect comparison, I couldn't believe how bad the set design was on Arrival 2, that said I would definitely rent ST 2
Old 07-10-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Originally posted by custom001
Just in, the official cast list for the soon to be shooting "Starship Troopers 2" - Those that have got the nod to star in the Phil Tippett sequel are; [in alphabetical order] Billy Brown, Richard Burgi, Kelly Carlson, Cy Carter, Sandrine Holt, Ed Lauter ["Cujo"], J.P. Manoux, Lawrence Monoson, Colleen Porch, Drew Powel, Ed Quinn, Jason-Shane Scott, Brenda Strong ("Red Dragon").
The Bra-less Oh Henry Candy bar heiress? I may be mistaken but wasn't she
Spoiler:
crushed to death by a closing hatch door
in the first film?
Old 07-10-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
The Bra-less Oh Henry Candy bar heiress? I may be mistaken but wasn't she
Spoiler:
crushed to death by a closing hatch door
in the first film?
Yep, Captain Deladier is now Sgt. Dede Rake according to IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Strong,+Brenda)

weird.
Old 07-10-03, 03:57 PM

How can you read that book and not realize it's facist? I forget, but in the book, did the bugs attack first? From the movie I got the impression that we were really the evil invading force and the bugs were just fighting back. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-10-03, 06:03 PM

In the movie the bugs first shot a meteor at Earth and wiped Buenes Aires off the planet, Earth then declares war on the bugs.
Old 07-10-03, 07:31 PM

Hail Verhoeven!

OK, folks, settle down...

Robert Heinlein was NOT a fascist writer... jeez, people don't read books these days anymore? His books explored all the possible forms of government, from communism to militarism. Have you heard of his "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", for instance?

Verhoeven is an "auteur", so he did what an auteur does, as opposed to someone who's just drawing comics or writing novelizations. he took some ideas from Heinlein and used them to poke fun at a future society in which there's safety and security, all the characters have American names, even if they come from various parts of the world, they have American-style proms and even play, in school, a sort of American football - even in Buenos Aires, one of the holy shrines of soccer! And the dialogue... wow! they're so cartoonishly emphatic ("Diz... waz a citizen of the Federation!) that you realize they've been brainwashed in a very subtle - Orwellian-like style, from the early childhood. That's supposed to send shivers down your spine!

Rico and his friends live in a world where all is seemingly well, but the cost the society has paid was this: it's no longer a democracy.

And, in light of current events, does anyone really think Verhoeven was off the mark? Wow...

Look again in the dictionary, under "satire"... and then you'll realize that all the stupid sequels to "Starship Troopers" - yes, even the animated ones - are downplaying the only intelligent aspect of the Dutchman's work, in favor of blood and gore (and not much brains) that are "safe" for the larger audience's sense of comfort....
Old 07-10-03, 07:35 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Human Mormons settled on the bug planet. They set up a small colony, the bugs got mad, and sent the meteor to earth.

I side with the humans in the movie. who actually thinks a small, peaceful colony is grounds to destroy millions/billions of people?
Old 07-10-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Hail Verhoeven!

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Robert Heinlein was NOT a fascist writer... jeez, people don't read books these days anymore? His books explored all the possible forms of government, from communism to militarism. Have you heard of his "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", for instance?

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is my favorite Heinlein novel and it is about as far away from fascism as you can get. It is explicitly libertarian.

Now Heinlein wasn't particularly consistent as to what type of political system he seemed to be supporting during his writing career but it is utterly ridiculous to call him a fascist.
Old 07-10-03, 09:38 PM

I don't really see the need for another Starship Troopers. The satire of the first one really won't be able to carry over to another film. And, I always interpreted the humans as the invaders. Sure, the bugs sent the asteroid, but I always run under the assumption that the humans just set that up. Nonetheless, this next movie will just be an action movie, probably won't have any of the humor and satirical elements seen in the first.

Oh, also the first one is still one of the best special effects movies in my opinion. The effects work is top notch, still to this day in my opinion.
Old 07-11-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I don't really see the need for another Starship Troopers. The satire of the first one really won't be able to carry over to another film. And, I always interpreted the humans as the invaders. Sure, the bugs sent the asteroid, but I always run under the assumption that the humans just set that up. Nonetheless, this next movie will just be an action movie, probably won't have any of the humor and satirical elements seen in the first.

Oh, also the first one is still one of the best special effects movies in my opinion. The effects work is top notch, still to this day in my opinion.
I really think they need to expand on the shower scene. I do think they left too much unsaid and unseen in the first movie. I am looking forward to more women and more showers
Old 07-11-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
For those going to the San Diego Comic-Con, and for those interested in ST2... this is on the Friday schedule:

5:30–7:00 Starship Troopers 2— Join Making of Starship Troopers author Paul M. Sammon for a sneak peak at the upcoming Starship Troopers 2, the exciting sequel to the 1997 blockbuster film, which was based on the award-winning Robert Heinlein novel. Joining Paul for this presentation will be ST1 & ST2 screenwriter Ed Neumier, as well as actors from Starship Troopers 2. ST2 marks the directorial debut of Academy Award–winning special effects master Phil Tippet. Room 6B
Old 07-11-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
And, I always interpreted the humans as the invaders. Sure, the bugs sent the asteroid, but I always run under the assumption that the humans just set that up.
Agreed. When I saw the movie for the first time, I thought of how absurd it was for us to go to war over an asteroid that would've taken thousands (maybe millions?) of years to reach Earth from the bug planet. How would eliminating the bugs remove any immediate threat against the Earth, unless their planet was right next to ours and hurling asteroids at us left and right? What are the odds such an asteroid collision would ever happen again?

Then I got to thinking that perhaps Verhoeven was saying the Earth had become a fascist society that no longer had anyone else to conquer and control. So, it was the nature of such a society to look for excuses to fight a war. Once I began considering the asteroid was just that - an excuse - the movie made more sense to me.

I would have liked to see if a sequel would elaborate on this theory, but I have my doubts it will be very insightful if its going straight to video.
Old 01-31-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First Starship Troopers 2 tv spot

Here you go enjoy.. kinda a teaser but still kinda cool since the bugs are back

http://www.tippett.com/studio/images...t2_tv_spot.mov

it's going stv but i liked the first movie none the less and thought you guys would like to see it
Old 01-31-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In many other countries it's going to be hitting theatres, but in the U.S. it ain't.
Old 01-31-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder why.
Old 02-01-04, 01:10 AM

I haven't heard anything good about this. Even though it's low budget, I imagine the effects work will be at least decent (this film is being helmed by Phil Tippet...who knows if he can direct but his effects work is fantastic). But I can't imagine this little six million dollar film (talk about a drop in budget I'm not even sure that number can be right) will allow this movie to even try to compete with it's big brother. Not to mention, I doubt it's going to have any of the subversive humor that laces the original and is a major part of why that movie is so entertaining.

We shall see...I'm not expecting much.
Old 02-01-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starship Troopers = huge $90 million dollar action film which is a satire on facism.

Starship Troopers 2 = tiny $6 million dollar horror/sci-fi film in the vein of Alien with lots of stock footage and CGI from the first film.

Hmmmmmm... I wonder why it won't be in theaters in America....

(In all honesty, I don't think it would even pull a profit if released to theaters. Then again, You Got Served made it to #1 this weekend.)
Old 02-01-04, 01:16 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel

Hmmmmmm... I wonder why it won't be in theaters in America....

I think it has more to do with the disappointing performance of the first one in theatres.
Old 02-01-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks really cheap
Old 05-17-04, 08:23 PM

Starship Troopers 2?

My friend sent me this link. I never heard of it. http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=139084

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.