Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you liked till last 10 minutes

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-31-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What movie were you fully into and enjoy while it chugged along, but the final scene was so bad that it made you hate the whole movie?

Pay It Forward
Spoiler:
Was it necessary to kill the kid?!?

Planet of the Apes (Burton)
Spoiler:
Just flat out dumb for dumb's sake. Movie had a cool & logical angle in that Marky Mark actually caused the Apes' existence, but the ending was neither cool nor logical. Just bad

Last edited by GuessWho; 01-31-03 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Planet Of The Apes. Although the ending didn't make me hate the movie, I just didn't like the ending. The movie was pretty entertaining throughout. Then the last 10 minutes just didn't seem to fit.
Old 01-31-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with you about Pay It Forward. The horrible ending combined with the overidealism just clinched me not liking a movie that could have been very good in the hands of a better director.

And the Planet of the Apes ending was just plain dumb, too.
Old 01-31-03, 05:58 PM
Banned

Just as a preemptive measure:

Nobody say A.I.

That arguement is played out
Old 01-31-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Adaptation

About A Boy

Devil's Advocate
Old 01-31-03, 06:18 PM
Banned

What's wrong with the last 10 minutes of About a Boy?
Old 01-31-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've said it before, but the last 30 seconds of My Fair Lady almost ruins the whole thing for me.

Also, Dangerous Lifes of Altar Boys and as mentioned above Planet of the Apes (2001).
Old 01-31-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got one more - and it's a big one:

American Beauty

Spoiler:
so Chris Cooper just happens to see through the window at the exat time and exact angle and obscured so that it would appear that his son is giving head? - that is just beyond preposterous. And then to make matters worse, he confronts Spacey as a closeted self-hating homosexual - cliche much? Then, he kills him after Spacey becomes "self-aware"? - WTF is that supposed to prove? - it just chickens out and keeps the characters from owning up to anything!!
Bah!!
Old 01-31-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pants
What's wrong with the last 10 minutes of About a Boy?
Grant's character's behaviour at the talent show totaly goes against everything he was set up as - I just don't buy the idea of him changing his ways just because he kind of cares for some kid. It was far too cliched and would never, ever happen in the real world.
Old 01-31-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Minority Report! The last 20 minutes killed the movie.

The last 10 minutes of Memento seemed to be a cheapshot at the audience. But I didnt really like the other 110 minutes.
Old 01-31-03, 07:36 PM

Already covered by "South Park," but still:

Contact
Old 01-31-03, 07:41 PM

The last ten minutes of About A Boy are vastly inferior to the book's ending, which has a much more nuanced and realistic. (The rest of the movie was very, very failthful to the book.)

I hated the last ten minutes of Training Day ... the whole chase bit was obviously put in to Attract the Action Crowd.

The very ending of Changing Lanes wasn't so bad, but you could tell it wasn't the way the movie was *really* supposed to end.
Old 01-31-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Minority Report did seem like a copout, but I think Spielberg was trying to deliver a Hollywood action flick similar in tone to his old school Indiana Jones type films. But still....
Old 01-31-03, 08:40 PM

The last bit of Speed 2 really killed the movie for me. Where the bad guy is getting away - in a plane no less - and can't help but stare backwards until he inevitably runs into a friggin boat. I mean, seriously, he's in a plane and is flying so low that he'll hit a boat's antenna and doesn't bother watching where he's going?

Up until then I thought the movie was merely a horrible waste of time, but that sapped part of my brain from my head and took three years off my life.
Old 01-31-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Panic room was entertaining, until the end part

How should contact ended?
Spoiler:
Without a Profession of faith? Overall, I thought it was done far better than the book was
Old 01-31-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'm surpised no one has mentioned this one...
The Ninth Gate
Old 01-31-03, 09:51 PM

An American Werewolf in London

(Even though this is one of my favorite films, I am still let-down by the abrupt ending).
Old 01-31-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by slop101
I got one more - and it's a big one:

American Beauty

Spoiler:
so Chris Cooper just happens to see through the window at the exat time and exact angle and obscured so that it would appear that his son is giving head? - that is just beyond preposterous. And then to make matters worse, he confronts Spacey as a closeted self-hating homosexual - cliche much? Then, he kills him after Spacey becomes "self-aware"? - WTF is that supposed to prove? - it just chickens out and keeps the characters from owning up to anything!!
Bah!!
Uh, I'd say the ending to American Beauty was a lot of things, but definitely not cliche.

You want to talk about cliche? Let's talk about the ending for The Usual Suspects. . .

Just kidding.

Till again.
Old 01-31-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Se7en. And the Game, come to think of it. Good movies up until the crappy ends.

And Rules of Engagment. I just felt the whole trial thing got resolved WAY too quickly. ALL the evidence was piling up against the guy then Tommy Lee Jones just makes a nice speech and turns it around??? WTF?? And no spoiler tags either, the ending sucked. Don't see the movie. I actually think that is one movie that could have benefited by being just a bit longer, fifteen or thirty minutes longer or so, just long enough to make the ending a little more plausible.
Old 01-31-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Death to Smoochy

The first 3/4 was a hilarious and biting satire on the machinations behind kids sing-along shows.
Old 01-31-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adaptation

Spoiler:
The last 20 minutes of the film felt a lot like a wacky Simpsons episode. Everything just randomly happened and there were meta-references to compliment it.

Signs

Spoiler:
Good movie, but the fact that aliens are afraid of a compound consisting 2 Hydrogens and an Oxygen makes some flaws shine out despite some nice clues along the way.

The Bourne Identity

Spoiler:
Could've been better had the movie ended on more of a ambiguous note than the Hollywood type ending we get instead. At least it's better than the alternate ending on the DVD.
Old 02-01-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
Agree with you about Pay It Forward. The horrible ending combined with the overidealism just clinched me not liking a movie that could have been very good in the hands of a better director.
...err... even though I hated the movie, it was pretty obvious the
Spoiler:
kid had to die since he was depicted as a Christ-figure....

...if it didn't end that way, it would have been even worse IMHO.

Last edited by jdpatri; 02-02-03 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-01-03, 12:27 AM

hitchcock's rebecca (at first, do not flame me, yet)
Spoiler:
i didn't like the maid burning the house as i thought it was unrealistic of her to care for rebecca that much. however after my mom said something i turned out to like it. she was joking about the maid being rebecca's mom, which made sense to me. that is why she was so protective, and why rebecca used that name at the doctor's in london. after hearing that i was much more pleased with the ending.
Old 02-01-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jdpatri
...err... even though I hated the movie, [spoilers] it was pretty obvious the kid had to die since he was depicted as a Christ-figure.... [/spoilers]

...if it didn't end that way, it would have been even worse IMHO.
How about spoiler tags? Thanks for ruining the movie btw
Old 02-01-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe i'm the first to say: Unbreakable....I wanted my money back after the end of that manipulative crap.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.