DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Recruit...a review (Spoilers blacked out for your safety ;)) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/267215-recruit-review-spoilers-blacked-out-your-safety-%3B.html)

Blade 01-29-03 02:52 AM

The Recruit...a review (Spoilers blacked out for your safety ;))

Just got back from an advanced screening (thanks to some very good friends :up: ).

It's a pretty standard slow burn thriller but with a lot of plot twists. The trailer was actually pretty good at giving you a feel for the movie without giving a lot away.

My problem with the film was that it seemed a bit too predictable, and there were little things that kept occuring that just didn't seem right to me.

Fairly early in the movie,
Spoiler:
for example, when they arrive at the farm, they're trained as a group. Would you train a group of covert operation spys together? If one turns or is captured they have the names of and can give descriptions of 10-20 spies. That just seemed odd.

Also, the ending was a bit unsatisfying to me, though I think it stayed pretty true to the movie

With all the twists, I think it will be confusing for people who don't like complex story lines. On the other hand, for people who tend to see where a story is going from a mile away are going to call this one pretty early.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they didn't feel like seeing another Training Day...(small spoiler about the over all plot)
Spoiler:
I think that's not far off the mark...though TD had better acting, while the Recruit had a better story, IMO.

The acting was generally very good all around, with Pacino being given a nice spin on one of his more famous acting "tics" (small spoiler)
Spoiler:
the yelling he's so famous for.

My personal feeling is a C+ or 2 1/2 stars out of 4, though I will say that some in the audience clapped after it was over. (My wife liked it a little more than me, and our friends also thought it was ok.) I think it will do well at the box office, so your average movie goer will probably like it, though I don't think it will be a huge hit.

I'm not sure if I'll get the DVD, but I would like to know how much was "movie" spy stuff and how much was "real" spy stuff.

I was thinking of Spoilerizing the whole review because of the subject matter... ;)

Giles 01-29-03 09:23 AM

I listened to Arch Campbell's review of this film on NBC 4 here in DC last night and he basically said the movie collapses in on itself. The movie meanders to a lacklustre ending. (I know I am going to get forced to see this... this looks like cable fodder)

BDB 02-01-03 12:43 AM

You know I went in to this with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. The film went past pretty fast, I enjoyed the action. Bridget Moynahan is nice to look at.

I would say that overall my moviegoing experience tonight was an enjoyable one.