Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Old School - i just saw it!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old School - i just saw it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gcomeau
ditto. I saw the trailer to this when i saw Just Married. I just have 1 question. When does it come out?
February 21st

MATT

read much? i mentioned the release date in my post earlier
Old 02-16-03, 11:23 PM
Cool New Member

Jsut saw it. most ive laughed in years. go see it now. will ferrell is a genius
Old 02-17-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one question: is Tracy Morgan in this/does he make an appearance? If not, opportunity missed, b/c Morgan + Frat Comedy would = Comedy Gold.
Old 02-17-03, 01:28 AM
Banned

Aching to see this again...my theatre had a public showing of it again tonight and after watching some of the stuff I was flipping out...this movie is just great...instant cult status I think.

Anyone else see it tonight?
Old 02-17-03, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by cupcake jesus
one question: is Tracy Morgan in this/does he make an appearance? If not, opportunity missed, b/c Morgan + Frat Comedy would = Comedy Gold.
LOL! I'm Brian Fellow!

that would have been good; eh?
Old 02-17-03, 02:28 AM

I saw it tonight, and I can't wait to see it again. Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn were awesome.
Spoiler:
The "earmuffs" cracked me up

Old 02-21-03, 03:42 AM
Banned

Saw it again tonight. Just amazing.

Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of it tomorrow!
Old 02-22-03, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Caught it tonight and hoped for the best and it surpassed every expectation I had. I laughed so long and so hard during it that my ribs hurt toward the end of the movie. Vince Vaughn was excellent and Will Ferrell was even good (I usually hate him with the passion of a thousand hot suns).

The only parts that didn't work for me were the Jeremy Piven parts. Like others said, those scenes just didn't do much for me. While it kind of made sense for him to be somebody they picked on as kids, I would have rather just seen them recycle the crusty old dean character seen in movies such as Animal House who just wanted to throw them out because he was such an ass.

Got the feeling that many lines in this, especially Ferrell's were improved. Especially what became one of my favorites from the movie....."Bring your green hat."
Old 02-22-03, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by badger1997
Vince Vaughn was excellent and Will Ferrell was even good (I usually hate him with the passion of a thousand hot suns).

Me too. I just tried to pretend it wasn't him and I was fine.

I too thought this movie was amazing and one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, until the end. Can you say,"Billy Madison"?
Spoiler:
The whole "testing" part of the movie just made me roll my eyes. The debate was painfully unfunny.

"How did you do that?"

"Oh, I must have blacked out."

Then the classroom test. Almost as unfunny as the debate. Ferrell doing the floor routine, and Vaughn on the rings were the only redeeming parts of the whole testing sequence. The vault had potential but the pay off was ridiculous. And not in a funny way.

The highlight for me was when they were rounding up the pledges (minus Ferrell in the grocery store parking lot, and only because we've seen it 40 million times in the previews) and the wedding singer at the beginning. I will definitely see this one again and again, most likely just skipping over the parts I described above.

Ellen Pompeo, Wilson's love interest, really caught my eye. I looked her up on IMDB because I was sure I'd seen her somewhere before, but I have never seen any of her other projects. Has she been in any commercials or anything?

Also, I thought Kilborn was great. The bathroom peptalk had me .
Old 02-22-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first half of the movie was funny as hell. I thought the 2nd was a bit slower, but overall it was pretty damn good.
Dave
Old 02-22-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This film does its genre proud. You pretty much know what you're going to get when you go see "Old School" but there are quite a few laughs in this film that are of the gut-busting variety. Will Ferrell steals the movie rather easily.

If you're grouchy, this film will put a smile on your face.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 02-22-03, 11:58 PM

Just came back from the theater. The movie was hilarious. Will's character fit like a glove. oh and,

Mmm, Elisha...
Old 02-24-03, 02:05 PM
Banned

I thought it was terrible

The premise is hilarious and the execution is awful

Craig Killborn tried to imitate his idol Bill Murray and failed miserably.

Every second of Jeremy Piven (who I usually love) was unfunny

Not just all the best jokes, but pretty much ALL THE JOKES, were in the trailer

The academic decathlon was the stupidest hackneyed been-there-done-that thing ever

Will Farrell was not funny....as usual

That scene after the funeral where his wife asked for the divorce...WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!! 2 minutes w/out a single joke, where did this sappy drama come from, I was dieing.

The premise of adult fraternity members had so much potential that it's really disappointing that it wasn't any better.

Did anyone else notice that the themes and even whole scenes from FIGHT CLUB were ripped off? They give the finger to their button down jobs and move into a communal living environment where they rebel against society's expectations of "PC" male behavior. They create an organization founded on chaos and the pledges treat them like kings. The pledges are like Project Mayhem members. The waiters give Luke Wilson's character free food w/ a wink. Other people at the office want to join this "secret group", etc.

All fixed for you smarty pants

Last edited by Pants; 02-24-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-24-03, 03:07 PM
Banned

There is something called a spell checker for a reason...sheesh!

j/k
Old 02-24-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Was it me .........

Spoiler:
or did the ending with the Kilborn's car and Jeremy Piven seem reminiscent of Lex and Clark's meeting during the first Smallville episode
Old 02-24-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
Did that reviewer even see Made? Damn critics!
I think some people forget how great Vince Vaughn was in Made because he played one of the most obnoxious, unlikeable characters in recent memory. He did such a good job of it, people really did want to see him get his ass kicked towards the end.
Old 02-24-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Dave99
The first half of the movie was funny as hell. I thought the 2nd was a bit slower, but overall it was pretty damn good.
Dave
I thought the first half was great, too, probably the most I have laughed since I saw Super Troopers last year for the first time, but the second half did drag on. Like Bust said, the testing sequence was an unfunny downer and slowed the movie down towards the end. Overall, I gave ***1/3/*****.

Vince Vaughn was great (too bad the damn trailer had to ruin so many of his moments).

Jeremy Piven was miscast. I usually love his work, but he was completely out of place as the dean.

I thought Ellen Pompeo was hot. Nice addition to the film.

Was that Leah Remini or a cardboard cutout when they needed to use her really quick in a scene?
Old 02-25-03, 11:01 AM
Banned

You guys are REALLY FORGIVING critics. You point out that the entire second half of the movie was slow, that the ending was unsatisfying, and the supporting roles were miscast....

....but you still give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. I don't get it.
Old 02-25-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pants
You guys are REALLY FORGIVING critics. You point out that the entire second half of the movie was slow, that the ending was unsatisfying, and the supporting roles were miscast....

....but you still give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. I don't get it.
I think we get it Pants....you didn't like the movie.

I thought it had a few slow parts, but I still loved it because it made me laugh. I wasn't looking for any redeeming message, great performances all around or for the movie to make me a better person. For me, the movie was hilarious despite its uneven moments and I would give it at least 3 1/2 out of 4 stars if I felt like it meant something for me to rate movies that way.