DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which movies would've been or will be better if someone else directs it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/266561-movies-wouldve-been-will-better-if-someone-else-directs.html)

gmal2003 01-26-03 04:58 PM

Which movies would've been or will be better if someone else directs it?

Lots of times people view movies with great potential that would've been much better if some else directs it. The one that comes to my mind is the upcoming movie Alice which has alot of potential but I'm worried that such a great idea will be ruined due to it being made by Wes Craven. This movie is a revised fanatsy horror of the book Alice in Wonderland where Alice goes back after she is older. Wes IMO will not handle this movie correctly as I'd rather see it done by M. Night Shymalan orTim Burton .

Post your thoughts on this or any other movie that comes to mind.

al_bundy 01-26-03 05:39 PM

Any star wars movie that GL directed.

Amadeus 01-26-03 06:13 PM

Originally posted by al_bundy
Any star wars movie that GL directed.
Enough already with the Lucas bashing.Jesus.It seems everywhere you go somebodies bashing GL for this or that reason.And by the way A New Hope couldn't of been any better if you ask me.

Terrell 01-26-03 06:18 PM

Enough already with the Lucas bashing.
Unfortunately that's the way of the internet now. Sort of funny these same people will be the first in line to see the films and buy the DVD. There will always be negative people who complain about something, especially on the net.

Amadeus 01-26-03 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Terrell
Unfortunately that's the way of the internet now. Sort of funny these same people will be the first in line to see the films and buy the DVD.
Yep.Just like Ben Affleck said in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Terrell 01-26-03 06:41 PM

Before anyone thinks I'm against negative opinions......WRONG! Negative opinions are fine. But slamming the same person or movie in every thread is getting old as hell. I'd say just let it go.

caiman 01-26-03 06:52 PM

Back on topic, I'd say <b>Mission: Impossible 2</b> would have been much better if DePalma was involved.

al_bundy 01-26-03 07:19 PM

Funny how ESB is considered the best SW movie and ironically it's the one that GL was the least involved in. I've seen all the movies and have the prequels on DVD. I'll buy the OT as soon as it hits DVD. The OT is pretty good. ESB is still the best. Especially if you compare it to the prequels. Just like Harrison Ford carried the OT, the good actors carry the prequels. So far it has been Ian Mcdermid and Christopher Lee.

greatjedi 01-26-03 07:53 PM

Originally posted by al_bundy
Funny how ESB is considered the best SW movie and ironically it's the one that GL was the least involved in. I've seen all the movies and have the prequels on DVD. I'll buy the OT as soon as it hits DVD. The OT is pretty good. ESB is still the best. Especially if you compare it to the prequels. Just like Harrison Ford carried the OT, the good actors carry the prequels. So far it has been Ian Mcdermid and Christopher Lee.
-ohbfrank- Here we go again. -ohbfrank-
Anyway, I agree that Mission Impossible 2 could have been better if directed by someone else.

jaeufraser 01-26-03 08:08 PM

Well, before you bash the guy for saying Star Wars and George Lucas, the answer really does fit the question. His abilities with actors are pretty weak, though his strength with visuals is definately there. But, I'll leave that alone from now since it seems to annoy people.<br>
I suppose the most obvious one for me is Terminator 3. That movie definately needs Cameron at the helm. The new one just...doesn't look good. Nor does it have the straight forward, serious, visceral, and steely feel that Cameron is so good at. But c'est la vie. Let's hope Mostow has something up his sleeve. <br>
Another is Resident Evil. As a big fan of the game, I was pretty disapointed with Paul Anderson's effort. Though many will say George Romero is the obvious choice, I won't necearrily say that (has he made anything good in years?). But Anderson's take on the movie just didn't mix with the game, and if you're going to make a movie based on a game rooted so firmly in cimematic qualities, why deviate to the standard rock action formula? Disapointing to say the least. A more atmospehric, gothic take like the game would have been much better in my opinion. Who? Not sure.

raKim 01-26-03 09:05 PM

AI with Kubrick
all Batmans post Burton w/Burton

Amadeus 01-26-03 09:09 PM

Originally posted by raKim
AI with Kubrick

:up:

LBPound 01-26-03 09:16 PM

If Brian Robbins was alive in 1954, I think "On The Waterfront" would be a better film.

marty888 01-27-03 08:41 AM

Well, whoever thought that the director of <i>Maltese Falcon, African Queen,</i> and <i>Treasure of SIerra Madre</i> - Mr <b>John Huston</b> - was the best choice for <b><i>ANNIE</i></b> was probably at least as crazy as the guy who green-lighted <b>Richard Attenborough</b> - who did a brilliant job with <i>A Bridge Too Far</i> and <i>Ghandi</i> - </b> to direct <b><i>A CHORUS LINE</i></b>. Two smash Broadway musicals turned into virtually-unwatchable movies.

(At least a musical theater director was allowed to do <b>CHICAGO</b>, and the results show!)

DonnachaOne 01-27-03 08:50 AM

Originally posted by marty888
(At least a musical theater director was allowed to do <b>CHICAGO</b>, and the results show!)
Oddly enough... he also did a much better version of Annie.

I put it to you now. Imagine if Oliver Stone attempted The Rock.

Tony Scott should have directed Die Another Day.

DeputyDave 01-27-03 08:52 AM

Originally posted by raKim
AI with Kubrick
all Batmans post Burton w/Burton

The first thing that popped in my head. A perfectly good (one of the best, actually) franchise ruined by crappy directing and writing. Can we only introduce one villain per movie, please?

Commander Dan 01-27-03 09:43 AM

Well, it is not my intent to “Lucas Bash,” but I do think AOTC would have been better had another director filmed it. I agree that ANH is fine (the Original, non-SE, that is), and TPM is tolerable.

What’s the word on the director for Episode III? Lucas again? I really don’t keep up with this stuff anymore.

DonnachaOne 01-27-03 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Commander Dan
What’s the word on the director for Episode III? Lucas again? I really don’t keep up with this stuff anymore.
At this point, I doubt anyone cares anymore.

resinrats 01-27-03 11:55 AM

The last 2 Batman movies would have been much better if Joel Shumacher(sp?) was not involved at all. No neon lights and no friggin' nipples on the men's suits. No close-ups of Bat-crotches. (Leave your damn fantasies out of mainstream movie Joel.) No stupid giant statues in the middle of the city for no reason.

I think Carrot Top would have made a better movie than that fruit Schumacher.

effigy 01-27-03 11:59 AM

I loved Donnie Darko, but I think it could've been much better with possibly a better director. It still gets a 9/10 from me tho. :)

Parcher 01-27-03 12:23 PM

LotR .

Seriously.

raKim 01-27-03 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Parcher
LotR .

Seriously.

I wanna ask why, but then I probably don't want to know......