DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "City of God" - utterly amazing! go, go, go see this movie! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/266399-city-god-utterly-amazing-go-go-go-see-movie.html)

Dr. DVD 03-20-03 07:20 PM

Saw it this afternoon. Definitely a kick a$$, no holds barred movie, and not for the ultra-sensitive to violence by an means. This is one of the few movies that can actually mix elements of indie and commercial flicks. Good action, but powerful story to boot.

I highly recommend it and give it 9/10.

Krug 04-29-03 10:44 PM

This film was UTTERLY amazing. Far better than Nowhere in Africa, and Chicago doesn't even come ANYWHERE close to it. Yes, it might look like Lock Stock etc, but the scenes are its own. When the kid is asked to shoot another kid, you realise how twisted the world they live in is.

5/5 from me.

Shamu 04-30-03 01:54 AM

I loved this movie, too. Too bad I had to wait so long to actually get it in my area.

Rypro 525 02-13-04 07:24 PM

saw it today at the local theater, and i have to agree that the movie is stunning. if this comes to your town, you have to see this movie. anyone find it incredably disturbing that kids were holding and shooting guns in the movie?

(oh and at my showing, a family of people came in, but someone told them that they were in the wrong theater, they came to see 50 first dates)

Supermallet 02-13-04 08:19 PM

I heard about this back when Ebert put it on his 10 best of 2002. All I ever heard were rave reviews. So I went in with expectations pretty high. And I have to say, the film exceeded my expectations on every level. I don't say this lightly, but I think City of God may be one of the best films I've ever seen.

the aftermath 02-13-04 09:03 PM

I'm gonna go check this out tomorrow.

Patman 02-14-04 12:06 AM

It's definitely worth seeing at the theaters, folks!

Rivero 02-14-04 12:14 AM

I didn't think this movie was very amazing. It was well-directed and there are scenes of undeniable power, but it was also repetitive and after a while predictable. By the end watching it is like "OK, another scene...another death. I wonder who it's gonna be here".

MrX 02-14-04 02:10 AM

I saw it over the summer and loved it.

The Nature Boy 02-14-04 03:49 AM

This movie is not all that. Some interesting stuff for sure, some bordering on brillance
Spoiler:
the scene where Little Ze's sidekick is shot in the disco is one of my favorite shots of the past few years
. But the one thought that I couldn't escape was what would I think of THIS EXACT MOVIE if it were set Harlem or Compton? I doubt it would pick up it's flowery reviews and praise. And yes, setting is a central element to the film, and the documentary feel aides it's cause. And I'd recommend seeing it at some point, but this has very little rewatchability to me.

But as some posters have mentioned, if you are a Guy Ritchie action fan, you may like it. Personally I"m sickened by his films, but that's another post. So I did go in with a strike against me.

And I really don't see how this garnered a best director nomination. I give him/them props for the willingness to take risks and getting great value for their buck, but I think Edward Zwick or Tim Burton deserved nods much more for The Last Samurai and Big Fish.

Drop 02-15-04 11:32 AM

I loved the movie, caught it yesterday, and I can't stop thinking about it. I wasn't so sure of it at the very beginning but about 5 minutes into it, I was like, "Alrite this is gunna be great". I was right.

I've just skimmed through the other posts, but I don't remember anyone mentioning that this is actually a pretty funny movie. Now, I'm not saying this is a comedy, but there are a lot of funny moments. Bene was always at least giving me a smile(well with one exception), and Ze had plenty of funny lines. Rocket's narrative was pretty funny at times too. The Runts had their moments too. With that said, I don't want anyone going in and thinking they'll laugh their head off, but don't be surprised if you laugh quite a bit. This is a violent movie, and I suspect that's why no one has really talked about the humor in it.

So, I would say this is one of my most recommended movies in a while. Whether you like it or don't, I still think everyone should see it.

Sparrow 02-15-04 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Patman
It's definitely worth seeing at the theaters, folks!
Just what I wanted to read. I've been debating whether to wait the additional 4 months for its release on DVD and whether it warranted a theatre-going experience.

Actually, didn't need much convincing, I need to go see a movie at the theatre. It's been a couple of months and I'm starting to feel some separation anxiety. :D

Chim 02-15-04 03:51 PM

just saw it last night, it was amazing

PacMan2006 02-15-04 04:54 PM

Can anyone say if this is a gory/very violent film?

Patman 02-15-04 05:02 PM

It's violent. Gory is in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't find it all that gory, but it can be horrifying given who's doing what violence to whom.

onebyone 02-15-04 05:03 PM

I too went into this movie with very high expectations, and it completely exceeded them. The story was compelling, the actors were talented, but, most importantly, the direction was brilliant. He just kept surprising me. It for sure deserves its Oscar nods and more.

In other words, color me impressed.

Krug 02-15-04 05:55 PM

It's not gory. A lot of the violence happens off-screen, but doesn't make the violence any less disturbing.

taa455 07-30-08 09:50 AM

Finally got around to seeing this movie on dvd. I really am not a fan of this "type" of movie but wanted to see it due to how well respected it is based on all the positive reviews I've read. Some scenes were powerful, especially in the beginning. The most haunting scene for me was when the guy had been hiding in the woods all night after the motel robbery came walking through town and the cops just went right past him and shot some innocent guy. Then they were like... I don't think he was involved... oh well.

Anyway, here's my reivew I posted on netflix...

This is a difficult movie to review because although I was impressed that it was exceptionally well-made film, it failed to move me emotionally the way it did for so many others. It is basically about a bunch of desperate, foolish young people who think holding a gun makes you a man. I realize my opinion is an unpopular one and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for praising "City of God", but at the end of the movie I just felt empty and depressed. I thought at the halfway point that the ending was going to predictable, and while watching I found myself wanting it hurry and get to the inevitable. While I was never completely bored with the movie, I was disappointed that really nothing profound came out of it beyond the typical gangster plight fed to us by Hollywood for years, only the setting was changed. Although the production quality is excellent and the filmmakers have some obvious talent, I found myself wanting more and feel this movie is just a bit over-praised.

beavis69 07-30-08 10:42 AM

I still think this is in top 10 of the decade. I had reservations about City of Men, but it to was a very well made movie and story. Highly recommend both

madcougar 07-30-08 11:24 AM

Jesus Christ, bell bottom jeans, and this thread.

Name three things that have been resurrected.