Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Focus ~ Abbott & Costello

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Focus ~ Abbott & Costello

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by flixtime
While not a particular favorite of mine:

Abbott & Costello's Jack and the Beanstalk is on TCM Monday evening at midnight (which I suppose makes it Tuesday morning instead).

Tuesday, May 20th at 12:00 AM
Jack And The Beanstalk (1952)

A baby-sitter dreams himself and his best friend into the famous fairy tale.
Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Buddy Baer. D: Jean Yarbrough. C 78m.
Thanks for the post buddy I actually read this after I noticed it on TCM about 20 minutes into the movie.

I agree with you about it not being a particular favorite. Maybe it's just the movie itself, but they look really washed out and tired in this film. To me it's not really "Abbott & Costello" but two ghosts of what were the greatest comedy team.

BTW: Sorry, I haven't been posting lately. As you know I've been having medical peoblems for the past 2+ years. The last few months were particularly difficult. However, I've found some new doctors who seem to be at least trying to do a better job than the others.

I've been spending 3 days a week at various doctors. In fact, I saw 3 on Monday alone. By the time I get home I'm usually exhausted from just being at the doctors office, let alone anything else. However, I'll try to post more at the movie and DVD forums
Old 05-25-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost missed this one:

Abbott & Costello's Rio Rita is on TCM this Wednesday.

Wednesday, May 28 at 7:00 AM
Rio Rita (1942)

A pair of nitwits try to stop Nazis from infiltrating a Western ranch.
Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Kathryn Grayson. D: S. Sylvan Simon. BW 91m. CC

It also co-stars the likable John Carroll who co-starred along with John Wayne in The Flying Tigers.

And more importantly, to my pal Vampyr.....I just recently read your various posts here at the forum. Thanks for the very kind words you had for me over in the "Classic Actors" thread. No need to apologize for not posting too much lately (heck, I didn't have a single post for nearly 3 months!, and I wasn't lurking too much either). I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems. Truthfully I was very much unaware of your situation. Though I do recall reading a post by you about some health issues, you and I never "talked" directly about it, and I assumed they were now in the past. I don't have your private e-mail but I'll send an e-mail to your DVDTalk address later tonight (maybe we can talk about Tim Robbins' movies (I just read that thread too) ). Note: The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite films.

EDITED TO ADD: Vampyr, my e-mail to you bounced back. I'm getting a "mailbox full" message. Let me know when it's clear.

Last edited by flixtime; 05-25-03 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Almost missed this one:

Abbott & Costello's Rio Rita is on TCM this Wednesday.
Thanks! Somehow, I'd missed this one on the TCM schedule.
Old 05-29-03, 12:18 AM

.........And more importantly, to my pal Vampyr.....I just recently read your various posts here at the forum. Thanks for the very kind words you had for me over in the "Classic Actors" thread. No need to apologize for not posting too much lately (heck, I didn't have a single post for nearly 3 months!, and I wasn't lurking too much either). I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems. Truthfully I was very much unaware of your situation. Though I do recall reading a post by you about some health issues, you and I never "talked" directly about it, and I assumed they were now in the past. I don't have your private e-mail but I'll send an e-mail to your DVDTalk address later tonight (maybe we can talk about Tim Robbins' movies (I just read that thread too) ). Note: The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite films.

EDITED TO ADD: Vampyr, my e-mail to you bounced back. I'm getting a "mailbox full" message. Let me know when it's clear.

Calling flixtime..........It sould be ok to use that address now (I hope) Send me a message and I'll send you my primary address

BTW: Now I just hope I remember to check the blasted thing
Old 05-29-03, 12:40 AM

Opps - That e-mail ist Todt

I listed a new address with my DVDTalk account......That should work
Old 10-24-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just came across this terrific news posted at a couple of the web sites (louandbud.com & abbottandcostello.net) mentioned in the first post of this thread:

Universal Studios will begin releasing their classic Abbott & Costello films on DVD next year - starting on Feb. 10, 2004.

The Best of Abbott & Costello: Volume 1 will feature 8 of the comedy legends' best movies including:

One Night in the Tropics
Buck Privates
In the Navy
Hold That Ghost
Keep 'Em Flying
Ride 'Em Cowboy
Pardon My Sarong
Who Done It?

All 8 movies will be available exclusively in this collection for only $24.98! Other titles are scheduled to follow later in the year.

8 of their films on DVD for only $24.98 is a steal if you ask me!
Old 10-24-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Universal Studios will begin releasing their classic Abbott & Costello films on DVD next year - starting on Feb. 10, 2004.
All 8 for 25 bucks? Suh-weet!

One Night in the Tropics - Not really an A&C movie, they were just supporting.
Buck Privates - Classic
In the Navy - Classic
Hold That Ghost - Classic
Keep 'Em Flying - Good
Ride 'Em Cowboy - Good
Pardon My Sarong - Okay, they can't ALL be gems.
Who Done It? - Classic, one of my faves.

Honk!
Old 05-11-17, 09:29 PM

Re: Star Focus ~ Abbott & Costello

Can someone help me find out what the name of a A&C film was?

I just remember a scene vaguely in it, but it was really funny.

They are in a nightclub or the like, sitting at a table.

Bud says something like, "Let's just say you went over to that wall and ...(did something really dumb, like rip off a picture or something dumb)."

Lou says "OK.."

Then Bud gets agitated and says...

"Why would you want to go do something like that?"

And of course Lou is stunned and says "I never said I was going to do that.."

It's a bizarre exchange and I remember thinking "Wow that is really funny and odd comedy for back in those days..."

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks much
Tom
Old 05-12-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Star Focus ~ Abbott & Costello

Sounds like The Noose Hangs High. Another good routine is Lou is 40 and wants to marry a girl who is 10.

The routine you are talking about is around 1 hour and 15 minutes in.

Last edited by JCWBobC; 05-12-17 at 03:37 PM.