DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Chicago - A review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/266177-chicago-review.html)

Milt Fargus 01-24-03 02:11 PM

Chicago - A review

After seeing Chicago last week, the return of the Hollywood musical seems like a miracle. The era of the true entertainers revisited. They act, they sing, they dance. Ron Popeil can't invent anything this good. I even noticed my head rocking from side to side during the musical numbers.

It is a story of getting and staying in the spotlight no matter what the cost. Catherine Zeta Jones stars as the vampish Velma Kelly, a woman at the top of the 1920's nightclub circuit until her husband's infidelity with her sister and her violent response take her out of the game. Renee Zellweger plays the part of the naive and somewhat whorish Roxie Hart, a Velma Kelly hopeful, who puts trust in the wrong man in the hopes it will lead her to the stage but instead lead her to prison on murder one.

Just because the venue has changed, that doesn't mean the show is over. Roxie is now set to avoid a possible death sentence and stay in the public eye with help from Momma Morton (Queen Latifah), a warden with a heart of gold if the price is right, and Chicago's slickest lawyer Billy Flynn, played excellently by Richard Gere.

With a gallery of colorful characters, a plethora of cameo appearances, and a musical accompaniment so upbeat, even I was gooving, I think the next generation of Rodgers and Hammerstein is right around the corner.

Matt969 01-25-03 12:50 PM

I couldn't agree more. I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. One of the most amazing movies I've seen in a while.

marty888 01-25-03 01:09 PM

Re: Chicago - A review

Originally posted by Milt Fargus
a musical accompaniment so upbeat, even I was gooving, I think the next generation of Rodgers and Hammerstein is right around the corner.
Hate to be the one to break this news to you, but the music and lyrics for <b>CHICAGO</b> were created over a quarter of a century ago by Kander and Ebb, who are now considered to be the <i>last</i> generation of Broadway-style songwriters, not the "next".

Guess this is just a case of "everything old becomes new again".

Ranger 01-25-03 02:55 PM

Haven't seen it yet, but my sister said she loved it, and this is the reason why she's finally getting her own DVD player!

kian69 01-25-03 03:13 PM

I definitely respect your review and you're obviously not the only one to thinks this way, since it DID win Best Picture for a comdey or musical at the Globes, but this type of movie is simply not my cup of tea. I can't say I didn't enjoy it as a musical, and I even liked it more than Moulin Rouge. But all in all, this is just not a movie for everyone. The story wasn't THAT original, I mean the concept of criminals becoming media celebrities (as seen in the trailer) is a theme that we've seen on a few occasions already (Natural Born Killers instantly comes to mind). Again, for what it is, it's a fairly enjoyable movie.

tanman 01-26-03 01:57 AM

Originally posted by kian69
I definitely respect your review and you're obviously not the only one to thinks this way, since it DID win Best Picture for a comdey or musical at the Globes, but this type of movie is simply not my cup of tea. I can't say I didn't enjoy it as a musical, and I even liked it more than Moulin Rouge. But all in all, this is just not a movie for everyone. The story wasn't THAT original, I mean the concept of criminals becoming media celebrities (as seen in the trailer) is a theme that we've seen on a few occasions already (Natural Born Killers instantly comes to mind). Again, for what it is, it's a fairly enjoyable movie.

Well I respect your opinion as well and it definately isn't for everyone (although I thought it had universal appeal but apparently it doesn't) but to be picky, the story is not exactly the highlight of the movie. I thought it was like a breath of fresh air in the oft damp dreary muck that hollywood is churning out. I found it to be one of the best movies of the year and think everyone (like you did) should at least give it a chance. It definately should be making more money than the current top three (Kangaroo Jack, National Security, Just Married). I really hope this does mark a return to musicals.