DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best John Grisham movie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/265922-best-john-grisham-movie.html)

LBPound 01-23-03 02:46 PM

Best John Grisham movie

I've found them all pretty good (well "The Chamber" was easily the worst, but even it was okay) and for the most part, suspenseful and engaging like the books.

My favorite is definitely The Client, though. One of the best movies of the 90s, in my opinion.

Which is your favorite and why?

joeydaninja 01-23-03 02:51 PM

I've only seen The Client and The Firm, and oh yeah, A Time to Kill. I guess I liked the Client and the Firm, and I liked The Client only a little better than the Firm, but they we're both brillant movies.

Playitagainsam 01-23-03 03:26 PM

I saw all of them, but I think Coppola's version of "The Rainmaker" was head and shoulders above everything else. "The Firm" and "The Client", especially, were badly translated to film.

MrX 01-23-03 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
I saw all of them, but I think Coppola's version of "The Rainmaker" was head and shoulders above everything else.
:thumbsup:

Pants 01-23-03 03:53 PM

I voted the Rainmaker as being the least offensive of the bunch, but of the ones I've seen (The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client, A Time To Kill, The Rainmaker) they were all pretty stinky.

Geofferson 01-23-03 03:58 PM

I've seen them all. To be honest, I liked them all except for The Chamber.

The Firm, The Client and The Rainmaker - it's a toss-up between the three.

BTW, this thread should be revived in a few months - Grisham's Runaway Jury is slated to hit theatres in not too long.

LBPound 01-23-03 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
BTW, this thread should be revived in a few months - Grisham's Runaway Jury is slated to hit theatres in not too long.
And Gene Hackman makes his THIRD appearance in a Grisham film. :eek:

Samuel 01-23-03 06:51 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
And Gene Hackman makes his THIRD appearance in a Grisham film. :eek:
Yeah and he's playing a role better suited for James Gandolfini, IMO anyway. :)

McHawkson 01-23-03 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
I saw all of them, but I think Coppola's version of "The Rainmaker" was head and shoulders above everything else. "The Firm" and "The Client", especially, were badly translated to film.
I agreed with that. I have read all of his books and it's true.

ravan 01-23-03 07:26 PM

The one about a young lawyer who takes on an impossible task..

B.A. 01-23-03 10:41 PM

Never saw the Chamber. I liked all of them, but I think I liked a Time to Kill the best. I do agree that the Rainmaker is very underrated though.

The Runaway Jury was a great book and funny, too, if I remember correctly - hope it makes a good film.

DumDum 01-24-03 08:52 AM

I personally liked The Firm the most.

conscience 01-24-03 10:30 AM

Originally posted by ravan
The one about a young lawyer who takes on an impossible task..
rotfl

On topic,

The Firm is my favorite. I like the story and it flows very well. Cruise and Hackman are great. Great music, too.

AGuyNamedMike 01-24-03 10:39 AM

[Very loosely remembered from a 3rd Rock episode]

Sally - what are you reading?

Tommy - the new Grisham.

Sally - me too, what is yours about?

Tommy - an idealist young lawyer goes to work for a new firm, encounters corruption in the system, and risks life and limb to set things right. what is your about?

Sally - an idealist young lawyer goes to work for a new firm, encounters corruption in the system, and risks life and limb to set things right.

Tommy - cool.

al_bundy 01-24-03 11:11 AM

Didn't like the movie version of the firm too much. I think they changed too much from the book.

flixtime 01-24-03 12:35 PM

I've seen all the films listed, though I haven't read any of the books. I haven't seen the films recently enough to be 100% certain on this but for now I voted for The Client as my favorite (I've enjoyed all the films to varying degrees). Honorable mentions go out to The Rainmaker and A Time to Kill. I thought Jeanne Tripplehorn was miscast as Tom Cruise's wife in The Firm. I have read the book Runaway Jury, which I enjoyed and am looking forward to the film version.

conscience 01-24-03 07:56 PM

I thought Jeanne Tripplehorn was great in The Firm...oh well. To each his own.

thecrazydude 01-25-03 02:32 AM

The Firm, by far the best!

kian69 01-25-03 02:38 AM

The Firm for sure in my opinion.

flixtime 01-25-03 07:31 AM

Originally posted by conscience
I thought Jeanne Tripplehorn was great in The Firm...oh well. To each his own.
Hi conscience, you're right in that I didn't really have any issue with Jeanne Tripplehorn as far as her performance goes, I simply thought she looked a little too old to be playing Tom Cruise's wife. Jeanne Tripplehorn is gorgeous though and if asked to choose I would certainly have chosen her over Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct.