DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Violent reaction at Sundance (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/265711-violent-reaction-sundance.html)

Pants 01-22-03 05:18 PM

Violent reaction at Sundance

From IMDb:

A Sundance Film Festival screening of Buffalo Soldiers, bought by Miramax Films in Sept. 2001 and shelved following the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, turned into an uproar Tuesday when a woman in the audience denounced the film during a Q&A period afterwards. As reported by Screen International, the woman accused the filmmakers of being anti-American and flung a plastic water bottle, apparently meaning to hit the screen but instead striking actress Anna Paquin, one of the film's stars, on the head. Paquin was apparently not seriously injured. The film deals in part with arms- and drug-dealing U.S. soldiers stationed in Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall.
This sounds like a publicity stunt to me. Trying to stir up press. I only wish audiences would react to the films they watch. Audiences today are such passive participants. When I see a bad film, or a film I disagree with I want to throw rocks at the screen. FILM REVOLUTION

funkyryno 01-22-03 05:25 PM

:lol:

Robert 01-22-03 05:46 PM

Re: Violent reaction at Sundance

Originally posted by Pants
When I see a bad film, or a film I disagree with I want to throw rocks at the screen. FILM REVOLUTION
[Forrest Gump] Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks[/Forrest Gump]

:whofart:

Giantrobo 01-22-03 05:47 PM

sherm42 01-22-03 05:48 PM

Re: Violent reaction at Sundance

Originally posted by Pants
From IMDb: This sounds like a publicity stunt to me. Trying to stir up press. I only wish audiences would react to the films they watch. Audiences today are such passive participants. When I see a bad film, or a film I disagree with I want to throw rocks at the screen. FILM REVOLUTION
I've been to the Sundance Film festival twice and it is not entirely uncommon to see stuff like this happen. Throwing things is a bit extreme, but I've heard some people tear into filmmakers after screenings. It's great stuff. People who attend Sundance are not your usual passive audience.

Geofferson 01-22-03 05:55 PM

DVD Smurf 01-22-03 06:24 PM

Wish I was there...

conscience 01-22-03 06:35 PM

If I were Anna, I would totally go all Rogue on that bitch.

(anna was rogue in x-men, right?)

I want to go to Sundance one day. Just hasn't been in my schedule, since I am nowhere near Utah.

I can't wait to see PARTY MONSTER with Macauly.

RyoHazuki 01-23-03 08:42 AM

Oh my God! A water bottle. Jeez! Shes lucky she escaped without injuries. I once spent three weeks in J.C Lincoln hospital when someone threw a paper cup at me. Lucky

silentbob007 01-23-03 10:04 AM

I don't know if I want an audience passive, but I don't want them screaming at the screen, either, or throwing bottles. It does sound a bit like a publicity stunt.

majorjoe23 01-23-03 11:57 AM

If it was a full water bottle it could do some damage.

conscience 01-23-03 12:25 PM

Yes. Full water bottles hurt. At least that is what people say when I throw one at them...

Ripper 01-23-03 02:23 PM

Originally posted by conscience
Yes. Full water bottles hurt. At least that is what people say when I throw one at them...
Yes, but hard water hurts even more :)

Rip

Alien Redrum 01-23-03 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Violent reaction at Sundance

Originally posted by Robert

Breakfast with Girls 01-23-03 08:45 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Oh my God! A water bottle. Jeez! Shes lucky she escaped without injuries. I once spent three weeks in J.C Lincoln hospital when someone threw a paper cup at me. Lucky
:lol: That was pretty good

Sunday Morning 01-23-03 09:01 PM

I say robert redford did it.

If I started a place to appreciate the best of independent cinema and watched it mutate into a hollywood deal making machine I would throw water bottles too.

lesterlong 01-23-03 10:00 PM

If you're ever at a Regal Cinema and see those annoying "Helping Hand" commercials where the chubby kid doesn't get picked for a baseball game, well I've seen people throw stuff at the screen then. Its quite humorous.

joefrog91 01-23-03 10:43 PM

The one time I attended Sundance no one went to that extreme to denounce a film, but there are a lot of opinionated people during the Q&A sessions. It's fun to hear some of the questions people ask.

Amadeus 01-24-03 07:46 AM

Re: Re: Violent reaction at Sundance

Originally posted by Robert

:lol: :lol:

rabbit77 01-24-03 08:53 AM

That reminds me of the time Trent Reznor hit me in the head with a water bottle at one of his concerts.