Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Two versions of Lady and the Tramp???

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-22-03, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over at that guy's website, "widescreen museum" http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcs4.htm

there is this quote:
Walt Disney put his animators to work immediately using the new CinemaScope process and created the first animated cartoon in the system, Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom. He also produced the first feature length cartoon, Lady and the Tramp. Like MGM, Disney also hedged his bets on CinemaScope, he had the film photographed in standard Academy format for theatres that did not install the new system. By the time the film was finished, in 1955, CinemaScope had been so universally accepted that the Academy version remained virtually unseen for decades.
Is the "flat" aka 1.37 ratio version available now? Was it ever available? He seems to suggest that, while unseen for decades, the flat version has been shown. This would be a VERY cool suplement on a Lady and the Tramp DVD.
Old 01-22-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd heard of this before also, but I don't think it's ever been released. In fact, I think previous fullscreen videos and whatnot have always panned and scanned the 'scope version, IIRC.

It would be an interesting supplement, though.
Old 01-22-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I downloaded this movie once and it was the fullscreen version. Certainly didn't seem panned-and-scanned to me and CERTAINLY not a 2.35:1 pan & scan job. So, I'm betting that it comes from the Academy Ratio filming.

Glad the DVD contains the Cinemascope version, although it's cool they made it in both formats.
Old 02-05-03, 05:32 PM
Banned

Just an update.

According to the IMDb there were three Lady and the Tramp Laserdiscs released in September 1998. A CAV widescreen, a CLV widescreen, and a CLV fullscreen that is noted as being a transfer from the Accademy Ratio print, available for the first time in 40 years. Very interesting. I really want a DVD with both versions.

Last edited by Pants; 02-05-03 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by Pants
Just an update.

According to the IMDb there were three Lady and the Tramp Laserdiscs released in September 1998. A CAV widescreen, a CLV widescreen, and a CLV fullscreen that is noted as saying this was a transfer from the Accademy Ratio print, available for the first time in 40 years. Very interesting. I really wan't a DVD with both versions.
Yes that's true.

In fact, when I bought this LD from Ken Crane's when it was released, I got one that said widescreen on the cover but was the Academy Ratio on the disc.

It seems there were a whole bunch printed up this way and Ken Crane's (and I'm sure others) had a nightmare having to replace all the returns.