Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Crimen del Padre Amaro

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-21-03, 01:32 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if there is a previous thread - I did a search and couldn't find one.

I saw this yesterday and was a bit disappointed. The story of the corruption of a young priest newly appointed to a rural district has some pacing issues. Basically I didn't buy a couple of jumps taken by the characters, although I suppose they could be explained by their disillusionment and desires.

I found some of the 'role-playing' very interesting.
Spoiler:
A young virgin gets pregnant by a 'father' and she is forced to ask another man to marry her. Of course in this modern version the other guy doesn't want to marry her and she is forced to get an abortion.

Its pointed out from the onset that the story is based on a book from 1875 (or so) and I wonder how much is still valid in this update - I wouldn't much about the current practices of priests in Mexico.
Spoiler:
Its funny how the head priest and mayor both make pointed statements about helping people, while at the same time taking advantage of the position.

Beyond a bit of shock value and a couple of twists, I didn't find the film all that compelling.

7/10