DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Franchise film scores bounced from Oscar Race. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/265038-franchise-film-scores-bounced-oscar-race.html)

El-Kabong 01-20-03 02:36 AM

Franchise film scores bounced from Oscar Race.

Found this on the LA times:

The music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences moved Friday to deflect a brewing controversy by postponing a ruling that would have disqualified for nomination a popular musical score.

Howard Shore, last year's Oscar winner for his music for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," was notified earlier this week that his nearly three-hour score for "The Two Towers" was being ruled ineligible because it contained themes from the earlier film.

His was one of several sequel scores that were being disqualified under a tighter interpretation of an Oscar music rule that mandates the work be created specifically for the eligible film.

Executives at New Line Cinema, which distributes "The Two Towers," were furious. They said 88% of Shore's 160-minute "Two Towers" score was original.

The music branch executive committee, which makes these rulings, decided to postpone implementing the stricter rule until next year's Oscar campaign.

Shore, who had been preparing an appeal, was notified Friday afternoon that "The Two Towers" will remain eligible after all for this year's Oscar.

Said Charles Bernstein, music-branch governor: "Due to the lateness of the date, and the crunch that takes place at the end of the year, the committee felt that it would be much more fair to leave this year alone and apply the rule in a more clearly articulated form next year."

This means the list of eligible scores that accompanies Oscar ballots -- which were mailed Jan. 10 -- will not have to be amended.

The new, stricter rules would eliminate most future Harry Potter, "Star Wars," Indiana Jones, James Bond and other franchise films from consideration in the original-score category.
What do you guys think?

Mr. Salty 01-20-03 03:02 AM

Re: Franchise film scores bounced from Oscar Race.

Originally posted by El-Kabong
What do you guys think?
I think you thread title is misleading. Nothing has been bounced from this year's race, and it remains to be seen what the final rules will be like in future Oscar races.

Terrell 01-20-03 03:53 AM

It means next year they will be excluded. At least that's what I read.

silentbob007 01-20-03 09:55 AM

I understand that they don't want the exact same music to win, but come on, if a mostlydifferent or re-tooled soundtrack is still better than everything "original" through the year, the original music shouldn't win by default.

Simpson Purist 01-20-03 10:03 AM

:rolleyes: That sure didn't stop John Williams from getting nominated several times for the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores. Not to mention James Horner's Titanic score was a mish-mash of several existing themes of his.

The Bus 01-20-03 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
:rolleyes: That sure didn't stop John Williams from getting nominated several times for the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores. Not to mention James Horner's Titanic score was a mish-mash of several existing themes of his.
They were nominated this year?

Pants 01-20-03 10:49 AM

Keeping with their logic, a sequal would not be elligable for Best Picture because it recycles character, story, and technique from the original film. The Godfather Part 2 would therefore be ineligable for Best Picture if it came out this year ;)

WiccanPagan 01-20-03 12:21 PM

yupp. awful idea, as even though the music may reused (by the person who frikken created it), the person scoring the films still has to redo the music with the film and has to place the music within the films' bounds as well. and this should still be appreciated as much as other works.

i think that this will hurt his chance for an oscar this year, and that is really sad, as i think the score for ttt was as good if not better than fotr

conscience 01-20-03 12:33 PM

You do know what original means don't you?

Groucho 01-20-03 12:46 PM

Interesting that The Two Towers was singled out for this. While there are some familiar melodies, most of the score isn't heard. In fact, the most familiar music of the first film ("The Fellowship Theme") doesn't appear at all in the second film.

While the two scores fit together remarkably well (I've given them a soundtrack together on my Xbox), they are also quite different.

new2theplace 01-20-03 12:48 PM

I understand why in the case of LOTR people find it annoying, but I can also understand why the rule exists. If I made a movie whose soundtrack utilized all the best soundtrack songs from the last 5 years, does my film actually deserve to win a Best Soundtrack award?

I don't think so. I don't think that the award is for the person who can compile the best songs for a film, but rather the person who can create the best songs for a film. You can argue that there should be a percentage-of-soundtrack cutoff, but the fact is that the people voting on these things aren't going to listen to a soundtrack and say "Okay, I won't pay attention to tracks 1 and 7 when deciding if the soundtrack is good or not"