Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

best movie/DVD magazine?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

best movie/DVD magazine?

Old 01-18-03, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best movie/DVD magazine?

Hello all, I'm looking for recommendations for good movie/DVD magazines. Currently I'm subscribed to DVD Etc., which just started last year, and is developing into a pretty good read. However, I'm looking for a broader coverage of films and DVDs, including good genre magazines. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how is Total Movie magazine? did they finally get their act together? if I subscribe to them, would they be reliable?
Old 01-18-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Total Movie no longer exists. Do a search and you'll find several threads on the subject. I even saw one in the main forum earlier today.

I'm more of a movie person than a "tech" person when it comes to DVDs but I still enjoy Entertainment Weekly quite a lot as a general all-purpose kind of magazine, and the weekly frequency is nice. I also still get Premiere every month. I've tried reading some of the more tech-centric magazines out there but can't get into them, and the few times I picked up Total Movie I was utterly disappointed in it, like most people seem to be.
Old 01-19-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.videobusiness.com/subscri...azine&x=23&y=8

click here for a free subscription to video business magazine - it's a weekly trade publication for video store owners but has a lot of focus on the DVD industry, whats coming out and when, good articles, and reviews of new releases. you will, however, need to fudge a bit on the questions it will ask you regarding your involvement in the video rental business, but what the heck... only took about two weeks to get my subscription and it's a real good read!
Old 01-21-03, 04:06 PM

^bump^

Thanks Doctor Gonzo, I might check that out. Does anyone subscribe to Cinescape, Fangoria, or Film Threat? I'd be interested to hear about those as well.
Old 01-21-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Total Film, the english - and much better, preceding - version of Total Movie. Much, much better magazine.

My problem is, of course, I get it a month late. But I get news on foreign releases, which makes up for it. All you region1-exclusives, have fun waiting for "Bend It Like Beckham" ...

I basically forsake the American magazines since they all started trying to be hilarious/ballsy/pretentious. No-one's got a straight review anymore unless it's the DVDTalk review.