Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

sort-of review wanted: Blue Crush

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-17-03, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys .. help me out here. My daughter who is 9 yrs old, was interested in seeing the movie in the theatres after she caught the trailer during another show .. I thought that the themes in the movie .. sexual awakening, etc .. might be inappropriate still for her .. so I managed to wangle my way out of us seeing the movie in the theatres .. but now it is out on DVD .. and much less easy to avoid with excuses from her dad.

Could I have (balanced) opinions on the sexual themes and language and whether it is an appropriate movie for a 9 yr old girl (who still plays with Barbies and Polly Pockets).

btw .. just as a reference point .. I'm not religious, nor conservative in general my outlook and opinions .. but I would like to be sure that this movie is appropriate for a young girl.

So one or even two cases of the s*** word wouldn't be too much of a problem in this movie .. (she's heard me mutter it a few times to her great amusement) .. but the F word etc would be unacceptable for her at this age.

What makes the PG-13 rating difficult as a guideline, is that Harry Potter had a PG-13 rating .. but a movie like Lord Of The Rings, which is faaaar scarier and much more violent, also got a PG-13 rating.

So, any comments and suggestions please ??
Old 01-18-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a scene in which one of the three protagonists (who work as maids in an upper-class Hawaii hotel) gets a condom stuck to her shoe and the main protagonist gets it off with gloves and goes to find the room-owner and shows him how to place it in the trash.

There's a scene with a disgusting hotel room (which is where they find the condom) with vomit all over.

There's quite a few scenes in which the main protagonist is referred to as a "ho," "hoochie," etc. There's a reference to a football player "buying" her for $1,000 and a reference to her friend feeling like her "pimp" when the main protagonist hands her the $1,000 to pay for the bills.

There's a scene in which the main protagonist's younger sister is at a party with MUCH older guys.

There are references to the mother running off to Vegas with different "meal tickets" (men), leaving her kids alone.

Towards the beginning they are trying on a hotel guest's clothes and hurriedly change when the guest arrives. The guest haughtily tells them to put her dirty clothes in the laundry bag and as they leave one of them mutters something about the bags in the guest's bra.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-18-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the info. It helps.
Old 01-19-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd imagine the biggest concern you may have is that the main character jumps into bed with a guy within two days of meeting him. It just shows the mornings after though, no sex scenes.
Old 01-19-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...also take a look at this 'family-dedicated' review... and/or at what the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has to say about this movie... and/or at what the kids-in-mind site has to offer in the way of caveats-for-liberal-minded-parents-who-are-thinking-of-letting-their-nine-year-old-daughter-watch-a-PG13-movie... and then there is this review... but - hey! 'America's pre-eminent movie critic' awarded the movie three out of four stars... and, last - but by no means least - here's the review on the family values site...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-19-03 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hendrik, nice to see you around.

My 4-yr old brother saw it this weekend. I asked him how it was, he grinned and gave me a thumbs up.

My parents didn't mention anything.

Maybe they saw a different movie.
Old 01-20-03, 11:37 PM

Hendrik .. thanks for the effort.

I had a look around those sites, and I've bookmarked the kids-in-mind site - they seem to give objective and balanced views without pushing some religion-based morality.

However, based on what I read there, this movie may be a bit too much for my daughter .. so I guess this dad will just have to ogle the teenage beauties on this DVD on his own one late night.
Old 01-22-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk.

- David Stein