Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best HK movie for group showing (list inside)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering -- which of the following movies -- not many to choose from -- would you think best to show if I was trying to get them interested in Asian cinema -- HK or otherwise? Bear with me please. This is more in the interests of entertainment than purely for the sake of art.

The Killer
Hard Boiled
City on Fire
Bullet in the Head
Full Contact
A Better Tomorrow

I also have Shaolin Soccer, but I'm saving that for another time. If none of those would really do the trick, what would you suggest. I'm leaning towards "Bullet in the Head" as an all-around good movie that most people probably haven't heard of, much less watched, compared to "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled".

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 01-14-03, 09:00 PM

whatever you do, don't show City on Fire...I made that mistake last week and I almost got lynched...it doesn't go over well with HK cinema newbies for some reason. Personally, I think because HK film has it's own nuances and style with regards to story and acting that without a lot of action, it's hard to appreciate and enjoy.

Hard Boiled is the one to grab attention to try to get people interested for the general crowds...Shaolin Soccer, Fist of Legend, Story of Ricky, and Drunken Master 2 are the movies I've also used to successfully spark interest.

As far as lesser-known movies, I've had some limited success with Kung Fu Colt Master, New Legend of Shaolin, and old Shaw Bros. movies like Fists of the White Lotus and Chinese Super Ninja.

Bullet in the Head should work well for you though, just don't show City on Fire (even if you explain it's the movie Tarantino ripped of for Resevoir Dogs...it just doesn't help)

Last edited by Crizzar; 01-14-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They're newbies, subtitles probably bother them, so I say go for hard core action - Hard Boiled. My mom, who doesn't speak English, really got into my subtitled version of Hard Boiled so I'd say that's a safe bet.
Old 01-14-03, 09:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the full length "Iron Monkey" always get a round of applause and praise from the friends I have lent the DVD to.
Old 01-14-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Giles
the full length "Iron Monkey" always get a round of applause and praise from the friends I have lent the DVD to.
It's a good suggestion, but I'm aiming for movies that either never had a local screening here (IM did make it to local theaters) or came and went years ago.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 01-14-03, 09:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
sorry, from the list I recommend "Hardboiled" since there are so many great action-set pieces. I found "Full Contact" slightly more vicious,
Spoiler:
particularily the bound guy who is shot in the head, it's ultra gorey and might turn off some viewers.
Old 01-14-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fist of Legend

Story of Ricki (aka Ricki-O)

Duel to the Death

It would be fun to show them Ricki-O, that would certainly be a movie for them to talk about for awhile.
Old 01-15-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, i'd start out with a nice showing of "Police Story" or "Fong Sai Yuk"

But if your trying to show off movies that are serious and have very little comedic elements..."Hard Boiled" or "A Better Tomorrow"
Old 01-15-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
I liked Time & Tide.. similar (sorta) to the Professional.
Old 01-15-03, 05:08 AM

the uncut UNTOLD STORY

For me THE KILLER, HARD BOILED, SHAOLIN SOCCER, OUATIC 1 & 2 always did the trick
Old 01-15-03, 08:21 AM

Personally, I say go with "Killer."
There are good reasons why it's regarded regularly as the best of the Woo/Chow movies, at or near the top of many top 10 lists, and considered of the the best action films period.
While Hard Boiled has more action, Killer has the poignancy thing going for it. There's more to empathize with; more drama, more tragedy, more depth of character, unless your friends are stone action freaks, in which case Hard Boiled may be the way to go.
People to whom I've shown Hard Boiled to comment on the wall-to-wall gunplay.
While I really like Full Contact, I'm guessing that first timers may find some of the over-the-top performances off-putting.
Of course all this is moot because we don't know your friends' tastes.
Did they like Die Hard? How did they like CTHD? Would they prefer martial arts to guns or vice versa?
DM2, FOL, OATIC are all grabbers, depending on taste.
I agree that City on Fire might not be the first choice.
Another consideration: From Beijing with Love.
A Better Tomorrow is also a good choice, I think. More story, more range for CYF.
One reason for Iron Monkey, if you have the HKL or Megastar version. It demonstrates what people have been missing by seeing the Miramaxed versions.
Bullet in the Head is a tough call. The thing about BITH is that while it resembles Deer Hunter, I think it beats the living crap out of Deer Hunter in terms of emotional impact.
Sorry if I ramble on but I have the same questions when I decide to show a HK film to an unitiated.
Oddly, Black Mask (not the Artisan one) has helped suck in a few people.
Good luck.
I'd be interested in what you showed and if any of your friends wanted to see more.
J
Old 01-15-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by iskandam
the uncut UNTOLD STORY

For me THE KILLER, HARD BOILED, SHAOLIN SOCCER, OUATIC 1 & 2 always did the trick
Yeah... the UNTOLD STORY is definitely a good choice.... for.... well... errr..... pretty much nobody.