DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Soderbergh, Clooney Reteam for Ocean's Twelve (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/263774-soderbergh-clooney-reteam-oceans-twelve.html)

mrpayroll 01-14-03 10:19 AM

Soderbergh, Clooney Reteam for Ocean's Twelve

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-15065,00.html

Mon, Jan 13, 2003, 08:01 AM PT

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) – Despite recent comments made by both to take time off from making movies, Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney will begin work on "Ocean's Twelve" in March. The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures is hoping to release the sequel to "Ocean's Eleven" for 2004.

The film will be based on a script by George Nolfi ("Timeline") titled "Honor Among Thieves," which the author will rewrite with an "Ocean's Eleven" bent, reports Variety. Warners originally bought the script as a vehicle for John Woo, but that project never got off the ground.

The filmmakers are hoping to gather all the main players of the "Ocean's Eleven" cast for the sequel (Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Elliott Gould, Julia Roberts, Casey Affleck, Scott Caan, Bernie Mac, Carl Reiner) as well as introduce new faces.

Soderbergh, 39, whose last film "Solaris" stars Clooney, has temporarily halted plans to direct "The Informant," based on Kurt Eichenwald's novel.

Clooney, 41, is currently appearing in "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" which he also directed. He'll be starring next in Joel Coen's "Intolerable Cruelty" opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I thought Ocean's Eleven was ok, but I guess money talks with regards to a sequel. We'll see how this one turns out.

Chris

Kal-El 01-14-03 10:36 AM

I'm in. I loved Eleven.

d2cheer 01-14-03 10:37 AM

I'll see it, as I thought the first one was very good. If they can get the same cast I would think it should be as good as the first.

DumDum 01-14-03 10:40 AM

Guess it's better than Solaris II.

das Monkey 01-14-03 10:45 AM

As much as I enjoyed the remake, I wasn't too thrilled they decided to remake it in the first place and still enjoy the original more. While anything's possible, this just strikes me as a bad idea.

das

Static Cling 01-14-03 10:46 AM

Or Solarises, for that matter. :)

I loved Ocean's Eleven, so this is exciting, but I just find it weird that they're doing a sequel of a remake that didn't have a sequel to begin with. I dunno.

mrpayroll 01-14-03 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Or Solarises, for that matter. :)

I loved Ocean's Eleven, so this is exciting, but I just find it weird that they're doing a sequel of a remake that didn't have a sequel to begin with. I dunno.

It's the money, man!

Chris

Geofferson 01-14-03 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I'm in. I loved Eleven.
Me too! :up:

Pants 01-14-03 11:46 AM

Oceans 11 was a stinker. The suck Sinatra/Dean Martin version was better and that ain't sayin' much. Soderburgh's just cashing in because his last two films flopped so hard.

JoeyOhhhh 01-14-03 11:58 AM

I like Ocean's Eleven (obvious from my sig), but I'm not to sure about a sequel.

I mean what are they going to rob? Fort Knox?

mrpayroll 01-14-03 12:50 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
I like Ocean's Eleven (obvious from my sig), but I'm not to sure about a sequel.

Shhhhh, next time spoiler tags! -wink-

Chris

Drexl 01-14-03 12:54 PM

Personally, I'd rather see Sex, Lies, and DVD.

Supermallet 01-14-03 12:58 PM

First Solaris and now this? Obviously he ignored the fact that Full Frontal proved he could still make a good movie. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Ocean's Eleven, but it did show a certain lack of originality, and this is just screaming it. And please, for god's sake, STOP USING CLOONEY!

gmal2003 01-14-03 01:35 PM

Im in.

Jackskeleton 01-14-03 01:35 PM

Should be a decent popcorn flick. I'll watch.

jkingfish 01-14-03 01:51 PM

NOOOOOO! Why must we always ruin a good thing!?

I was so pleasently surprised at how great the remake was. I display the two side by side in my entertainment center because they stand up so well comparitively. But, for cryin out loud, can nothing be sacred? If your jonesing for the experience again, watch them over and over and bask in their genious! Doesn't mean we need to go it again with the liklihood of never matching up.

Damn, that's just about the worst idea I've heard....

and the title sucks.

DumDum 01-14-03 02:07 PM

Okay. So who's gonna play the twelfth guy?

JoeyOhhhh 01-14-03 02:09 PM

Originally posted by DumDum
I'm guessing
Spoiler:
Julia Roberts
is #12

Edited to add spoiler tags since spoiler police have run rampant the past few days ;)

Mourn 01-14-03 02:10 PM

I thought the title was a joke...guess not.

Taking another script for a project that didn't work out and giving it "an ocean's eleven bent" sounds....weak.

First one (remake) was alright, doesn't really lend itself to a sequel.

Edit: Mighta been pushing a threadcrap there, so i toned it down a bit.

LBPound 01-14-03 02:16 PM

I'm kinda happy about this news. Normally, I dread sequels of movies I really like for fear they'll be horrible, but the first film sort of caters to a sequel. The plot of the first film is resolved, but it feels like an ongoing story nonetheless, with all the interesting characters.

Ocean's Eleven is one of my favorite movies in recent years, so I definitely dug it. If all the cast returns, and they keep the same tone and spirit of the original (er, the remake), then it should work alright.

Drexl 01-14-03 02:24 PM

Originally posted by DumDum
How about
Spoiler:
Mark Wahlberg, who was going to be in OE but dropped out and was replaced by Matt Damon?

fumanstan 01-14-03 02:53 PM

I loved the first one, and i'll definatly catch a sequel.

B.A. 01-14-03 02:55 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh

I thought I read somewhere that it would take place in Europe.

Anyway, I'll watch a sequel, particularly if they can get the entire cast back. Hopefully Carl Reiner doesn't pass away soon(crosses fingers). I do hope that "Ocean's Twelve" isn't the title though.

slop101 01-14-03 03:09 PM

I remember Clooney mentioning Ocean's 12 in an interview recently, but he was clearly joking.

LBPound 01-14-03 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Weird, but the live action 102 Dalmatians did the same thing. And now they've gone and made a sequel to the original animated film, which has nothing to do with what the live-action sequel did (I think). Speaking of which, Ocean's Twelve sounds better than Ocean's Eleven II.