DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ebert and Roeper's worst movies of 2002 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/263616-ebert-roepers-worst-movies-2002-a.html)

funkyryno 01-13-03 05:13 PM

Ebert and Roeper's worst movies of 2002

Big Stars in Big Bombs
The ever popular category that Ebert describes as "Movies where even big names above the title couldn't save lousy material."

"Life or Something Like It" starring Angelina Jolie
"Bad Company" starring Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins
"Enough" starring Jennifer Lopez
"The Sweetest Thing" starring Cameron Diaz

Bad Bonding
Films that Roeper calls "pale imitations of the 'Lethal Weapon' formula, or lame-brained buddy action thrillers, or both."

"Half Past Dead" with Steven Seagal and Ja Rule
"Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever" with Antonio Banderas and Lucy Liu
"The Tuxedo" with Jackie Chan and Jennifer Love Hewitt

They're a Drag
As Ebert notes, these are "Drag movies that were a drag - for us!"

"Sorority Boys"
"The Hot Chick"
"Juwanna Mann"

Cast Away
What Roeper calls "Perhaps the most frustrating category...great casts mired in a deadly ensemble vehicle."

Steven Soderbergh's "Full Frontal"
"Just a Kiss"
"Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"
"Waking Up in Reno"

No More McMovies!
Ebert dubs these films "Movie franchises that we've had enough of!"

"Men In Black 2"
"Friday After Next"

Retro Disasters
Adapted from TV shows, these movies are what Roeper refers to as "warmed-over second helpings, or bland imitations of the originals."
"I Spy" with Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson
"Scooby-Doo"

Wretched Remakes
Ebert asks, "Is there anything more depressing than a movie that was good the first time and then is bad the second time?"

"Mr. Deeds" with Adam Sandler
John McTiernan's "Rollerball"

The Absolute Worst Movies of the Year

Roeper: "Swept Away"
Ebert: "Death to Smoochy"

Simpson Purist 01-13-03 05:28 PM

*owns Life or Something Like It on DVD*

:o

Great choices though.

Smidget 01-13-03 05:37 PM

Death to smoochy?! and MIB2 is a fun ride, for what its worth. Otherwise no complaints.......

Goat3001 01-13-03 05:38 PM

Agree with most of the choices except Death To Smoochy as worst movie of the year.

the narrator 01-13-03 05:47 PM

i can't believe Ebert picked Death to Smoochy as the worst movie of 2002. I can see how someone wouldn't like it, but I don't see how it could be considered the worst of the year.

Krug 01-13-03 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Smidget
Death to smoochy?! and MIB2 is a fun ride, for what its worth. Otherwise no complaints.......
Fun ride? I thought it was horrible...

grunter 01-13-03 05:54 PM

What? No "love" for "The Hours?"

Heresy!!

;)

joshd2012 01-13-03 06:33 PM

Death to Smoochy was one of my favorite movies last year. That movie was hilarious. Sometimes you just have to wonder what some people are thinking when they say stupid things.

Shamu 01-13-03 06:37 PM

Friends come in all sizes...Death to Smoochy was hilarious...

Groucho 01-13-03 06:48 PM

Death to Smoochy was underwhelming. Worst movie of the year, though? Nah, probably not.

Supermallet 01-13-03 07:51 PM

I knew they were going to pick on Full Frontal. I loved this movie. The only problem with it was Julia Roberts, who started to get annoying at the end. As for MIB 2, I thought it was as funny as the first.

C.H.U.D. 01-13-03 08:19 PM

Man, Death to Smoochy was in my top 10 for 2002. Hehe.

Geofferson 01-13-03 08:23 PM

I heard Waking Up in Reno was decent. :hscratch:

Mr Snappy 01-13-03 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
. As for MIB 2, I thought it was as funny as the first.
Please.....seek professional help, quickly!

Frank TJ Mackey 01-13-03 09:40 PM

Death To SMoochy was a great idea with a terrific cast........that went horribly wrong with a lousy script and bad direction.

skar 01-13-03 10:36 PM

Wow, I've seen a grand total of zero films from the lists. I'll just have to take their word for it.

Autotelik 01-13-03 10:39 PM

Oh... I thought they were going to pick on Pluto Nash.

Get Me Coffee 01-13-03 11:02 PM

Pluto Nash should have been on that list. ALso MIB 2? I mean what do you want? It was a silly/fun movie. C'mon fatty can't you see that?

Robert 01-13-03 11:06 PM

Death to Smoochy was great up until the ice show finale.

silentbob007 01-13-03 11:19 PM

Originally posted by White Knight
Pluto Nash should have been on that list. ALso MIB 2? I mean what do you want? It was a silly/fun movie. C'mon fatty can't you see that?
What I would have liked is a movie that doesn't feel like its about 4 hours long even though it couldn't even fill a standard 90 minutes ... but hey, opinions are like ....

darkflounder 01-13-03 11:48 PM

Death to Smoochy is the worst film of the year???

Obviously, Roger never saw Men In Black II. Or Pluto Nash. Or Ballistic. Or Reign of Fire.

Get Me Coffee 01-13-03 11:51 PM

Originally posted by silentbob007
What I would have liked is a movie that doesn't feel like its about 4 hours long even though it couldn't even fill a standard 90 minutes ... but hey, opinions are like ....
my opinion...

calhoun07 01-14-03 12:00 AM

And Jackass isn't on the list???

PolloDiablo 01-14-03 12:13 AM

I think jackass is exempt from being on any "Worst of 2002" lists, I mean it was made for a very particular audience. It pretty much works that if you like the show you'll love the movie, if you don't like the show then why the hell would you even bother trying to see it. The movie is pretty much just an uncensored 1.5 hour episode. It wasn't made to win any awards or end up on anyones best movie list, it was just made for fans of the show.

torrance 01-14-03 05:45 AM

Originally posted by darkflounder
Death to Smoochy is the worst film of the year???

Obviously, Roger never saw Men In Black II. Or Pluto Nash. Or Ballistic. Or Reign of Fire.

reign of fire on the same level as pluto nash and ballistics? i dunno about that.