Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I finally saw the Graduate.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say that it was a great movie/great DVD. I watched it for the first time last night, and it was just as impressive as anything I've seen lately. But why was it so "anti-establishment," as the documentary on the DVD seemed to suggest that is how the movie was recieved? I hear that there are plans for a sequel as well, which would be great fun, but will it seriously happen?
Old 01-13-03, 03:48 PM
Banned

Re: I finally saw the Graduate.

Originally posted by calhoun07
But why was it so "anti-establishment,"
Look what happens at the end. He "kidnaps" the girl from her wedding, locks the parents in the church (using a cross to bar the door no less), and runs off into an unkown future. This is pretty anti-establishment and a big F U to the mainstream views of suburban conformity. Not REALLY drastic or anything, but subversive nontheless.

Last edited by Pants; 01-13-03 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See what you have been missing?

Dustin Hoffman is excellent and really showed that he was going to be a great actor.
Old 01-13-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
In film school we studied this film and Easy Rider, which were both made the same year, to learn about the attitiudes of the time. Both films were seen as "anti-establishment" but went about presenting their themes in different ways.

Pay attention to the party that is thrown for Ben after he has graduated. He can't stand his parents friends and feels utterly lost and indifferent to their way of life.

I have one word for you: "Plastics"
Old 01-13-03, 05:56 PM
zig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't really like The Graduate. I was under the impression that it was a real classic, but from my perspective it's just a better-than-average teen movie.
Old 01-13-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sherm42
In film school we studied this film and Easy Rider, which were both made the same year
The Graduate = 1967

Easy Rider = 1969
Old 01-13-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zig
I didn't really like The Graduate. I was under the impression that it was a real classic, but from my perspective it's just a better-than-average teen movie.
OMG!

American Pie was a better than average teen film.

The Graduate is a classic.
Old 01-13-03, 06:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I love that movie. It is filled with some wonderful camera shots and set pieces. I especially love the opening credits scene.
Old 01-13-03, 07:01 PM
Cool New Member

Also great music by Simon & Garfunkel!
Old 01-13-03, 07:16 PM

How many extras are there on the DVD?
Old 01-13-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny. I just saw it for the first time too, and thought it was a lot better when I just knew the story and all the famous scenes. Man, what a boring turd of a movie.
Old 01-13-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
Man, what a boring turd of a movie.
It's always interesting to read the well-reasoned and eloquent criticisms of classic films around here. Imagine, the ability to boil down a landmark in American cinema to a "turd."
Old 01-13-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
Funny. I just saw it for the first time too, and thought it was a lot better when I just knew the story and all the famous scenes. Man, what a boring turd of a movie.
That doesn't make any sense.

Seeing as how you just saw it for the first time, how could you know it was "better" when you have never seen it?

Are you speaking of hearing of the film and some of its scenes while not even seeing it?

Well that is just a blatant smack in the face of film.
Old 01-13-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved it. There isn't enough good satire in the movies these days, and the film satirized middle class living so well.
Old 01-13-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: I finally saw the Graduate.

Originally posted by Pants
Look what happens at the end. He "kidnaps" the girl from her wedding, locks the parents in the church (using a cross to bar the door no less), and runs off into an unkown future. This is pretty anti-establishment and a big F U to the mainstream views of suburban conformity. Not REALLY drastic or anything, but subversive nontheless.
Hey. Thanks for the SPOILER!
Old 01-13-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
It's always interesting to read the well-reasoned and eloquent criticisms of classic films around here. Imagine, the ability to boil down a landmark in American cinema to a "turd."
He could have called it a f***ing turd ....

Besides, one person's turd is another person's Swept Away ... wait a minute ....
Old 01-14-03, 12:43 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

An example of the impact of the Graduate (at least on me):

I couldn't stop thinking about Anne Bancroft for about 48 hours.
Old 01-14-03, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it last year for the first time myself and I loved it.

It was much funnier than I had expected.
Old 01-14-03, 08:41 AM

I saw it for the first time a few months back and thought it was brilliant. I was impressed at how little dialogue there was though, but also that they were still able to convey everything they needed to without words.

It's pretty absurd that she would have liked him, especially after the affair. Throughout the movie I kept thinking, what the heck does she see in him? I alway assumed it was just her way of rebelling/escaping conformity, but whatever...
Old 01-14-03, 11:01 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: I finally saw the Graduate.

Originally posted by the aftermath
Hey. Thanks for the SPOILER!
You come into a thread titled "I finally saw the Graduate". Well obviously this is a thread for people who have already seen the film. His quesition in the first post was, "What was so anti-establishment?"

Why do I need to use spoilers? I'm addressing a question in reguard to a person who I know has already seen it, in a thread devoted to people who "finally saw the Graduate."
Old 01-14-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: I finally saw the Graduate.

You come into a thread titled "I finally saw the Graduate". Well obviously this is a thread for people who have already seen the film. His quesition in the first post was, "What was so anti-establishment?"

Why do I need to use spoilers? I'm addressing a question in reguard to a person who I know has already seen it, in a thread devoted to people who "finally saw the Graduate."
Maybe you need your memory refreshed?

Originally posted by JustinS
Just a reminder to our newer members, don't spoil the endings or major plot twists of films for other members. When in doubt, use spoiler tags.

When to use spoiler tags

Spoiler tags should be used whenever you are going to reveal, by virtue of your comments, a plot twist or ending of a film. This applies to new and old films. Just because you have seen a film 100 times, don't assume that everyone else has seen it yet.

However, if the entire thread is dedicated to an element of a film that might spoiler it for another member, place a spoiler warning in the title of the thread in lieu of using spoiler tags within the thread.
First of all, although you didn't start the thread it did not have SPOILERS written in the title. How am I supposed to know what's contained inside a thread?

I'm pretty sure it's not just for the person who started the thread, but for people who reply within the thread too. And is it really that hard to use spoiler tags? Maybe you should think before posting next time, instead of ruining someone else's possible movie experience.
Old 01-14-03, 12:10 PM
Banned

If you really think about it. Nothing I posted would truely "spoil" your enjoyment of the film. By the time I watched this film in hight school Wayne's World 2 had completely spoiled the ending already. And it didn't ruin my enjoyment.

The ending isn't a spoiler. If I told you that at the end of Star Wars they blow up the death star, would it matter? NO. What matters is the fun you have finding out what a "death star" is and who blows it up.

And to sum up, why do you even care so much? Get off your highhourse. I tried to give a reasoned answer and make the thread interesting. You've contributed nothing to the thread but adherence to rules. Wow! what fun. When people ask me why I post at DVDTalk I tell them it's because I enjoy communicating in a dogmaticly sanctioned, rule intensive environment that harshly criticizes all people who step outside of the rules. Lighten up and have some fun.

Last edited by Pants; 01-14-03 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I told you that at the end of Star Wars they blow up the death star, would it matter? NO. What matters is the fun you have finding out what a "death star" is and who blows it up.
They blow up the Death Star?
Old 01-14-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And to sum up, why do you even care so much? Get off your highhourse. I tried to give a reasoned answer and make the thread interesting. You've contributed nothing to the thread but adherence to rules. Wow! what fun. When people ask me why I post at DVDTalk I tell them it's because I enjoy communicating in a dogmaticly sanction, rule intensive environment that harshly criticizes all people who step outside of the rules. Lighten up and have some fun.
I'm not on a "highhourse". I care because I planned on watching that movie one day. How about this: I'll try and forget that you gave away the ending to the movie, and you forget that I "contributed nothing" to this thread.
Old 01-14-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On spoiler's I looked at the booklet in the DVD case at one point during the movie and saw
Spoiler:
the girl in the wedding dress and that told me, damn, she DOES marry Dustin Hoffman!
but guess what? I drew a conclusion about the end of the movie that wasn't exactly right, and I still enjoyed it to the very end. And Planet of the Apes is still enjoyable even tho Fox totally gives the spoiler ending away on the cover of the DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.