Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jan Troell's The Emigrants and The New Land.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a query about these titles in the dvdtalk thread regarding the likelihood of future dvd releases, but I also really wanted to hear from anyone that's seen either or both of these films. Here's the original post sans dvd queries....

I just watched Cries and Whispers for the first time, and being taken with Liv Ullmann was looking into her filmography...i stumbled upon Jan Troell's two epics about Swedish emigrants to the U.S. in the 19th century: The Emigrants, and The New Land. In short, they look amazing. It may seem silly to some, but I am a historian by trade, and 19th century Great Lakes settlement is my particular point of interest....and since The New Land is set in Minnesota, i can't believe i've never heard of these films....so does anyone know anything about these films? who's seen them? Are they as good as I sense that they are?

any feedback on these films will be very much appreciated.....
Old 01-13-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are some very good films, which actually where a TV-mini series in Sweden many years ago. They are of high quality acting with an intersting story about the a family that immigrates to the US from the poor southeast part fo Sweden known as Smaland. I was intrigued by the hardships that they faced and how they managed through the hard times. If you like Cries and Whispers I assume you would like these as well, since they are also grey and dark on an emotional level. I wish I could get these on DVD, maybe I have to order them from Sweden.
Old 01-27-09, 06:24 AM

Re: Jan Troell's The Emigrants and The New Land.

I just bought the DVD set from a Web site in the U.S.
It's a 3-disc box set and cointains both movies - in original language.
I found the VHS on eBay but it was the dubbed version.
It was really stupid. The dubbing part destroys Liv Ullman's interpretation - and she does such a great job.
It was filmed in Minnesota. Mostly in the towns near Taylor's Falls on the St. Croix river.
Old 05-13-09, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Christian Treff
I just bought the DVD set from a Web site in the U.S.
It's a 3-disc box set and cointains both movies - in original language.
I found the VHS on eBay but it was the dubbed version.
It was really stupid. The dubbing part destroys Liv Ullman's interpretation - and she does such a great job.
It was filmed in Minnesota. Mostly in the towns near Taylor's Falls on the St. Croix river.
Old 05-13-09, 12:18 AM

Hello, Christian,

Will you let me know where you bought them from. Please. I've spent hours trying to find them for sale. Thanks, Kay.