DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Godfather - Part III (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/263178-godfather-part-iii.html)

Parcher 01-11-03 03:42 PM

The Godfather - Part III

Why do some people say this movie is so bad?

I am just interested.

Off topic: I bought the box set based alone on the fact that I had only seen the ending of Godfather III and it was just so awesome.

ArchibaldTuttle 01-11-03 03:58 PM

I think its because everyone likes the first two so much, and the third one just isn't as good, plus it has the sad ending

everybody has an opinion, personally I don't get why so many people like minority report and black hawk down so much

Parcher 01-11-03 04:00 PM

I love the fact that it has a sad ending.

This is NOT a spoiler...

I love how you reflect on Michael's life with the dancing and then...well look at the chapter title.

Really awesome ending, perfect way for it to end.

joelgee 01-11-03 05:03 PM

For me, I don't think Godfather III is so bad, EXCEPT for Sophia (sp?). Her performance alone makes me flinch. I think this is a case where one horrendous performance taints everthing else in an okay film.
J

Simpson Purist 01-11-03 06:38 PM

Five words, two reasons: Sofia Coppola and George Hamilton

I agree with Coppola that GFIII should've been called "The Death of Michael Corleone", other than those two actors, the movie wasn't that bad.

movielib 01-11-03 07:21 PM

I think it's a very good movie but casting Sophia was indeed unfortunate. When Winona dropped out, Coppola could have had his pick of dozens of fine young actresses. It must have been temporary nepo-insanity.

Still, in spite of that it is a fine film. The ending (opera) sequence is easily as good as or better than the parallel ending sequences in the other films.

Daytripper 01-11-03 10:11 PM

Originally posted by movielib
I think it's a very good movie but casting Sophia was indeed unfortunate. When Winona dropped out, Coppola could have had his pick of dozens of fine young actresses. It must have been temporary nepo-insanity.

Still, in spite of that it is a fine film. The ending (opera) sequence is easily as good as or better than the parallel ending sequences in the other films.

Winona became ill and had to drop out literally days before the movie started filming. I think if FFC had more time, he would have searched for another more seasoned actress. Hasn't Sophia been in a few of his films? I know she was in "Peggy Sue Got Married". And in a pretty big role. I've said this before, Sophia was no worse than her aunt was. In all three.

Groucho 01-11-03 10:17 PM

Coppola could have had a line of unknowns looking for a chance within an hour after Winona dropped out. He should have gone that route rather than casting his daughter. He's had success with open casting calls before (that's how he discovered Abe Vigoda).

Daytripper 01-11-03 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Coppola could have had a line of unknowns looking for a chance within an hour after Winona dropped out. He should have gone that route rather than casting his daughter. He's had success with open casting calls before (that's how he discovered Abe Vigoda).
My point was, he worked with her before so I'm guessing he had faith in her to pull off the performance. Do I think she ruined the movie? No. Would I have cast another actress including an unknown? Yes.

Groucho 01-11-03 10:25 PM

I agree that she didn't ruin the film. It would have been bad with or without her involvement.

LivingINClip 01-11-03 11:36 PM

I don't understand most people's hatred for this film. Sure, it wasn't exactly what everyone expected, but I thought it was a brave and welcome change for the series. It showed Michael wanting to go straight, dealing with what his life had became and in the end dealing with the family he had put behind all his life. Sure it wasn't as good as The Godfather (I) but it was a very good way to end the series. Espically the ending which was realistic and sad at the same time.

DumDum 01-12-03 09:46 AM

Definitely the weakest of the three, but considering the first two are two of the best films ever made, I personally don't think thats a bad thing.

d2cheer 01-12-03 09:54 AM

I think that it was just OK. Not great but not really poor either. Will I watch it again? NO, not good enough to warrant another viewing IMHO. But I didn't think GF Part II was that great either...

chipmac 01-13-03 12:33 AM

[QUOTE]Five words, two reasons: Sofia Coppola and George Hamilton /QUOTE]
I totally agree although I found George Hamilton to be far more miscast than Sophia Coppola. He just didn't fit in to any sceen he was in for me. At least I was able to believe Sophia in the role of Micheal's daughter even if she wasn't great at delivering her lines. As for the movie I feel that it was a fitting end to the saga and Andy Garcia's performance saved the movie for me.

Ranger 01-13-03 01:43 AM

***WARNING*** Spoilers ahead!

What I liked about Godfather III.

Vincent! Without him, think of how much worst the movie would be! He added some youth and excitment to this movie.

The helicopter hit.

Taking out of Zasa and the Ant.

Lucchesi and Don Albterollo(sp?) played their part great.

The reception where Mike danced with Mary. It was so sad to see Mike flashback dancing with the women of his life, but it was very moving. :up:

The opera scene! :up:

What I didn't like about Godfather III.

Michael's hair. It was painful to look at it.

Seeing Michael so weak was not easy. Even disappointing.

The Vatican was a bit too much overdone.

Michael's sister, Connie. :yack: It was too unbelieavle to see her go from begging Mike to forgive Fredo to the dark "I want you to strike back" woman. I know she was just taking Mike's old character, but I didn't like it.

The loss of Tom Hagen unexplained. I don't want to see Hagen Junior!

It was too sad. :( But a fitting end of the Saga.

Ralph Wiggum 01-13-03 01:44 AM

Sofia Coppola was terrible and it was easily the weakest of the Godfather films, but I still think it is a pretty good movie.

das Monkey 01-13-03 09:57 AM

I loved <B>III</B>. Yeah, it's my 3rd favorite of the 3 films, but it's not bad. It's just not one of the ten best films ever made, for which the first 2 could maybe make a case. I find the ending to be incredibly moving and think it's a fine way to finish the series.

das

Mowork 01-13-03 12:57 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I loved <B>III</B>. Yeah, it's my 3rd favorite of the 3 films, but it's not bad. It's just not one of the ten best films ever made, for which the first 2 could maybe make a case. I find the ending to be incredibly moving and think it's a fine way to finish the series.

das

That's an excellent assessment

Ranger 01-13-03 01:49 PM

Oh, one more thing. I don't understand the criticism of Sofia Coppola, I think she was just an easy target and she understands that. She did a fine job. The most moving part of her perforamnce was when everyone was at the opera, and she gave her father that cold stare (sent chills down my spiine) and looked away crying after Vincent said it was over. Ah, poor Mary.

MrPeanut 01-13-03 05:44 PM

I think it is the best dvd extra ever

Dr. DVD 01-13-03 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Ranger
Oh, one more thing. I don't understand the criticism of Sofia Coppola, I think she was just an easy target and she understands that. She did a fine job. The most moving part of her perforamnce was when everyone was at the opera, and she gave her father that cold stare (sent chills down my spiine) and looked away crying after Vincent said it was over. Ah, poor Mary.
While I hate giving kudos to a scene in GFIII,
Spoiler:
the scene where Mary is shot and just staring at her dad with the bullet hole in her chest is quite telling. It bascially sums up Michael's failure to protect his family from Mafia ties.

Josh H 01-13-03 08:16 PM

I've never understood why people hate this film either.

Sure it's not as good as the first two films, few movies are. But it's still a great flick in it's own right, and makes the series better than if it had simply ended with Part II and us never knowing what happened to Michael in the end.

My only gripes are, as stated above, Sophia wasn't very good, and I didn't care for the whole incestuous love story with her and Vincent.

Other than that the acting was great, and I loved the ending.

I think some people bash it just because it's the "right" thing to do among elitist movie buffs. Others probably just hate that it's not as good as the first two.

Rypro 525 05-25-04 11:13 AM

watched it last night. this aint that bad. and sophia wasn't that bad also, sure , she ain't the greatest actor that ever lived, but certinly not the worst. I also liked the whole story as well. the only thing that confused me a tad (i looked up on imdb just now), was did Michael die since it looked like he was shot as well as his daughter, but apparently not then.

bardevious 05-25-04 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
watched it last night. this aint that bad. and sophia wasn't that bad also, sure , she ain't the greatest actor that ever lived, but certinly not the worst. I also liked the whole story as well. the only thing that confused me a tad (i looked up on imdb just now), was did Michael die since it looked like he was shot as well as his daughter, but apparently not then.

Sophia was awful. Just awful. So bad that she almost kills the movie. The whole romantic subplot between her and Andy Garcia was nauseating and unconvincing.

But...she does not kill the movie. It still manages to resonate, primarily because of Pacino and the newly contrite, aging Michael, stooped over by age and the weight of his sins. Of course, Al has his typical "Moments of Ham", when there's no scene leathery or tough enough for him not to gnaw right through, but for the most part, he's pretty measured.

I still can't help but think how good it could have been had Coppola not dickered with Robert Duvall over salary issues. Duvall's contribution would have sealed the deal and given more resonance to the story.

JasonF 05-25-04 11:25 AM

Count me as pro-GF III. Like other have said, it probably wasn't up to the standards of the first two, but then again, there are probably one or two dozen movies in the history of cinema that are up to the standards of the first two.

Sophia Coppola was playing a young woman moving in a world to which she was unaccustomed, all the while doing so in the shadow of her father. The only way the part could possibly have been more suited to her is if they made Mary Corleone an aspiring filmmaker. Now, I don't think Sophia has the acting shops of some of the others who have worked on the Godfather saga -- Pacino, Brando, Duvall, DeNiro, Caan, and Keaton all out-act her, but all are among the greatest actors of their respective generations.

Ranger -- I agree that the movie suffered for the loss of the Tom Hagen character. Apparently, Duvall wanted too much money, and there is a line in the movie explaining that Hagen had died.