DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies that age badly (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/262892-movies-age-badly.html)

wendersfan 01-10-03 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
By the way - to the horror of many, I guess - I invite those who enjoy silent movies to play them accompanied by some good music of personal choice. The result is akin to reading a good book while having your favorite music in the background. Sometimes (I personally use electronica) it even seems that the music is extremely well-synchronized with the action, and some elements are emphasized to the point where you wonder "gee, I saw this so many times, but never caught THAT detail".
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but reading this just now makes me want to relate this story:

Two nights ago I had the joy to see Dovzhenko's Earth in a theater, accompanied by live piano. The effect was incredible. I have probably never enjoyed a silent as much, with the exception of the time I saw (don't hate me) Potemkin with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra performing the Shostakovich score with it. Seeing a silent with live musical accompanyment is to see a living, breathing work of art. It is truly special.

resinrats 01-10-03 08:32 PM

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - This movie doesn't seem to hold up. I had never seen it up last year. When it came on TV, I decided to see it since people talk about it so much. Was the most stupid movie ever. Gave up after 3/4 hour.
This is probably an example of if I had watched it back when it came out, it would have seem much cooler then. Because of liking it then, I could still like it today.

Nick Danger 01-10-03 10:12 PM

When I saw Easy Rider, I thought it was terrible. When I told this to a former-hippy film professor, he admitted that it hasn't held up well.

Nick Danger 01-10-03 10:15 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but reading this just now makes me want to relate this story:

Two nights ago I had the joy to see Dovzhenko's Earth in a theater, accompanied by live piano. The effect was incredible. I have probably never enjoyed a silent as much, with the exception of the time I saw (don't hate me) Potemkin with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra performing the Shostakovich score with it. Seeing a silent with live musical accompanyment is to see a living, breathing work of art. It is truly special.

As I type this, they're showing Buster Keaton's Steamboat Bill Jr. along with a live jazz band at the Kimo. They're promising about 50% improvisation, and have been rehearsing for months. I'm here at work. :mad:

Terrell 01-10-03 10:16 PM

Star Wars
You've got to be kidding. Those films have arguably aged better than any film of it's time. If they hadn't, they wouldn't be as popular today as they are. You don't stand the test of time by aging poorly. It still looks phenomenal, even by today's and the prequel's standard.

I'd have to say all of those late 70s and 80s sex comedies haven't aged too well.

GoldenJCJ 01-10-03 11:10 PM

I saw Jim Carrey's The Mask on TV a few weeks ago and was amazed at how dated it seemed for a movie less than 10 years old. I guess that new swing dancing crap really was just a fad.

Unfortunately, even classics get caught aging badly. West Side Story is considered a classic and yet it's horribly outdated. Great songs and choreography but who doesn't laugh nowadays at rival gangs dancing and singing together?

Gioman 01-10-03 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker
My only problem with "Scarface" was that Tony Montana had zero redeeming qualities. Pacino plays him as a total scumbag, and that's fine, I guess (a great performance) but I could have cared less that he died at the end.

I did, however, care about his friend/partner who he wound up killing. Towards the end, I couldn't wait for Montana to be blown away.

Really? I mean, he wasn't exactly a model citizen, but it could be argued that his one redeeming moment was the cause of his downfall. Spoiler mode, just in case.....

Spoiler:
He was ordered by the drug baron to kill that guy (Was it a government official, or a witness?), and suddenly backed out when he saw that the target's wife and kids would undoubtedly be killed as well. When his accomplices persisted, he sabotaged the assassination and killed them.

Again, we're not talking about a Boy Scout here, but he didn't get killed because of the bad things he did, but because of the one GOOD thing he did.

Playitagainsam 01-11-03 09:24 AM

... and no, by the way, I'd like to name a film that has aged very bad: "Fritz the Cat"

DeputyDave 01-11-03 10:04 AM

Manhunter. When I first saw this in the theater I thought it was a fantastic serial killer flick. After Silence of the Lambs came out I maintained that Manhunter was better (based solely on memories). It wasn't till Red Dragon was announced that I decided to revisit this classic from my youth. It wasn't awful, just very dated. The lighting, the editing, the clothing, the music... it screams 80's.

This may be an invite to flame, but I think if you take the villain from Manhunter (Tom Noonan) and place him (unaged) into Red Dragon, you have a superior movie.

BuddyRevell 01-11-03 04:00 PM

not that aliens is dated, but one part always bugged me. the part where ripley is at the hearing, and the dude says "you freely admit to destroying an m class starfreigher, a rather expensive piece of machinery" the other dude says...."64 million in adjusted dollars". what does "adjusted" mean?? now 64 million doesn't sound like too much for an m class starfreighter to me.

anyone else think the price for the ship was way too low??

Moppy007 01-11-03 09:16 PM

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
not that aliens is dated, but one part always bugged me. the part where ripley is at the hearing, and the dude says "you freely admit to destroying an m class starfreigher, a rather expensive piece of machinery" the other dude says...."64 million in adjusted dollars". what does "adjusted" mean?? now 64 million doesn't sound like too much for an m class starfreighter to me.

anyone else think the price for the ship was way too low??

LOL! maybe there's a serious case of deflation in the future...

jfoobar 01-11-03 09:38 PM

Two quality 80s releases that sprung immediately to mind:

Manunter
No Way Out

Daytripper 01-11-03 10:03 PM

I think most 80's comedies haven't aged all that well. Specifically one's geared towards and/or featuring teens. I watched "Fast Times at Rigdemont High" when it was released on DVD (a year ago?) and man was that dated!

starfish 01-12-03 09:07 PM

The Exorcist.

rfduncan 01-13-03 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Nick Danger
When I saw Easy Rider, I thought it was terrible. When I told this to a former-hippy film professor, he admitted that it hasn't held up well.
Same happened to me... a friend who saw it originally in the theaters basically said "What did *we* know? We always saw it stoned. It would suck otherwise." Hmm ... sounds about right. :lol:

The Man Who Fell To Earth is WAY dated as is Woody Allen's Sleeper.

thebargainguy 01-13-03 10:44 AM

Valley Girl!

thebargainguy 01-13-03 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Terrell
You've got to be kidding. Those films have arguably aged better than any film of it's time. If they hadn't, they wouldn't be as popular today as they are. You don't stand the test of time by aging poorly. It still looks phenomenal, even by today's and the prequel's standard.

The plot of STAR WARS and some of the acting do seem a little hokey today.

think of it this way: what would the reaction be if the film (as is) was released today for the first time.

people would HATE it.

devilpants 01-13-03 11:29 AM

A lot of John Hughes stuff: Pretty In Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc. They're not necessarily bad, but they're such a product of the times that they show their age.

Steve Phillips 01-13-03 11:52 AM

I agree that XXX will be very dated in just a few years. I enjoyed it, but they used too much rock music on the soundtrack.

In my opinion, horror, sci-fi, mysteries and comedies age the best overall. If you think about it, the movies from the 30s-60s that still have a large audience are often from these genres. That's not to say thre aren't incredibly good westerns, dramas, musicals, etc from those decades but overall, they aren't as fondly or widely remembered.

I think a good movie is a good movie, no matter when it was made.

Groucho 01-13-03 11:55 AM

It's interesting that most old Disney films can still be enjoyed today, whereas it seems most newer animated films are much more contemporary. Will kids still be watching Shrek 10 years from now? Lilo and Stich?

The Bus 01-13-03 02:27 PM

Groucho: Shrek dated itself on its release, unfortunately, and it's been sinking ever since. Lilo and Stitch will probably age a bit better, although overall the movie wasn't that good (only if compared to what Disney has put out post-Lion King).

funkyryno 01-13-03 02:44 PM

A lot of the 70s and early 80s sci-fi stuff looks really dated now -- I'm thinking West World and Logan's Run (I still enjoy these movies, thought).

DiscoD 01-13-03 03:08 PM

Guess my latest experience was with friends watching "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". When it first came out I remember basically falling out of my seat laughing. (Oh crap--I just dated myself). Anyway this film had every major comic in the business --for that time anyway. I built it up to wife and friends and got the DVD. Got positioned for the event just knowing these folks were going to LTAO. All I got was snoring and glares. They still work me over about this one. (The Jonathan Winters work is still a gut buster IMHO).

Rypro 525 01-13-03 05:01 PM

Originally posted by thebargainguy
The plot of STAR WARS and some of the acting do seem a little hokey today.

If you think the acting and story in Star Wars IV is bad, then see either TPM or AOTC.

Rypro 525 01-13-03 05:02 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - This movie doesn't seem to hold up. I had never seen it up last year. When it came on TV, I decided to see it since people talk about it so much. Was the most stupid movie ever. Gave up after 3/4 hour.
This is probably an example of if I had watched it back when it came out, it would have seem much cooler then. Because of liking it then, I could still like it today.

You missed the main reason why 95% of people like it still today by watching the Tv version.