DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Cowboy Bebop movie in theaters April 4,2003 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/262694-cowboy-bebop-movie-theaters-april-4-2003-a.html)

Rypro 525 01-09-03 03:44 PM

The Cowboy Bebop movie in theaters April 4,2003

Well just to let some people know who are interested. They changed the american versions title "Knock Knock on Heavens Door" due to issues with Bob Dylen. The movie for some reason is rated R?
Anybody know anything else about this movie.

The Bus 01-09-03 07:57 PM

:up: :up:

_tony_ 01-09-03 08:00 PM

its probably rated r for language and violence, even though there isn't an excessive amount of either.

i'm surprised they're releasing it to theaters though, it seems like one of those movies cartoon network would pick up.

Rypro 525 01-09-03 08:02 PM

Has anyone seen this movie (either by getting a Japanese version or lives in a country with this movie) confirm on why this movie would be rated R

RichC2 01-09-03 08:51 PM

it wouldn't, it isn't very violent at all, nor are there many places for it to be excessively vulgar in a dub.

So you got me. It's PG-13 all the way in my book.

-Rich

WiccanPagan 01-10-03 12:57 AM

looks like we may finally be getting a legit dvd of this. too bad my paul champagne case is only for 6 discs. :(

Jackskeleton 01-10-03 02:04 AM

Faye *ALMOST* shows boobies, I say almost cause man it's so close. ;)

A bullet goes through someone pretty much. Plenty of blood their.

It is animated violence, but hey, if it got a pg-13 instead of an R, I'm sure a lot of you will be screaming bloody murder cause you know ratings always tell us if it's a good movie right.. -rolleyes- (In reference to all those who hate when a movie is given a PG-13 rating for what "could have been")

I love both the dub and sub of this series, I look forward to both, and I am pleased to hear that Both will be around in theaters just like spirited away offered. :)

Though the new title kind of throws me for a loop "Knock Knock on heavin's door" eh. I think they would have been able to get away with the original title if you ask me.

Rypro 525 01-12-03 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Faye *ALMOST* shows boobies, I say almost cause man it's so close. ;)

A bullet goes through someone pretty much. Plenty of blood their.

It is animated violence, but hey, if it got a pg-13 instead of an R, I'm sure a lot of you will be screaming bloody murder cause you know ratings always tell us if it's a good movie right.. -rolleyes- (In reference to all those who hate when a movie is given a PG-13 rating for what "could have been")

I really hate how the Mpaa is like blood=bad. It seems like today, if a movie has any type of blood from an injury, it gets an R. But what about Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie has a lot of blood, but it only got a PG (I know that there was no pg13 back then.)

DVD DVD DVD 01-12-03 04:43 PM

I hope they don't cut any scences out for the American theater.

RichC2 02-04-03 11:26 PM

I stand corrected to my previous comment.

The film has been... MPAA Rating: R for some violent images. -- http://www.animenewsservice.com/ .

Also a bit on Bebop-Columbia connection (kind of odd but watching the episode again, it's kind of weird.)

...and now on to Pierrot Le Fou.

I honestly didn't find the movie that violent, tho my dad felt the fist fight was pretty extreme.

Oh and.. Release Date: April 4th, 2003 (LA/NY).

as if you all didn't already know that :D

-Rich

fiver 02-05-03 07:52 AM

It's probably rated R due to the terrorism content in the movie rather than any excessive blood, gore, nudity or swearing...silly I admit but probably close to the truth. With recent events, they probably feel that younger teens would be disturbed.

Michael

Franksta 02-05-03 12:19 PM

how wide a release will this get? it have a feeling it'll get as wide a release as Metropolis. I had a hard time getting to see Spirited Away and i have a feeling i'll have to wait for the Bebop movie to come on dvd. :(

Pants 02-05-03 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Franksta
how wide a release will this get? it have a feeling it'll get as wide a release as Metropolis. I had a hard time getting to see Spirited Away and i have a feeling i'll have to wait for the Bebop movie to come on dvd. :(
It seems like it will be exactly like Metropolis. One week in LA and NY and then on to video. So if your not in those cities you're screwed, but you can go see Just Married...huh, come on JUST MARRIED. It's funny "ha,ha" because they just got married...get it. Oh.

Jackskeleton 02-05-03 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Pants
It seems like it will be exactly like Metropolis. One week in LA and NY and then on to video. So if your not in those cities you're screwed, but you can go see Just Married...huh, come on JUST MARRIED. It's funny "ha,ha" because they just got married...get it. Oh.
The difference between Just Married and Cowboy Bebop:KOHD are wide. First off do you not understand the concept that Animation is still not widely acceptted as an "adult" medium? Sure their exist a market for this and a fan bases, but for the cost of releasing it in so many theaters does not meet or even come close to the amount it would bring in.

then again, I'm in Los Angeles, Have already seen it in the theaters and will see it again. Maybe you should just move to a big city. ;)

Pants 02-05-03 01:17 PM

Uh Jack......I was joking. Are you the new Groucho or something?
Just a little humor about how we get 2 screens for Bebop and 3000 for Just Maried.

Just for that I'll be sitting behind you at the Nuart kicking your seat and talking on my cel phone.

Jackskeleton 02-05-03 01:40 PM

Talking on your cel phone? I wont be the only one jumping you during the showing. ;)

Guess you never got the chance to see it last year at the Egyptain... ;)

8/18/02 - Movie news from LA preview. -- According to those who attended the preview of Knockin' On Heaven's Door at the Egyptian theater in LA, a studio representative from Columbia was present. According to the rep, not only will there be a wide theatrical release of the film, but in those areas showing the film on multiple screens, Columbia will insist that both the sub and the dub be shown.
http://www.egyptiantheatre.com/archi...tasyhorror.htm

Besides, after your post on how Reebok was totally ripping off office space and ruined it by "Selling it out" to the masses, I tend to miss your sarcasim.

Rypro 525 02-05-03 01:41 PM

People will think that with an R rated cartoon that it will be like extreme violence or something.

Pants 02-05-03 01:44 PM

Yeah if it's R-rated I'll be expecting tenticles...lots of tenticles.

Jack: I missed the Egyptian screening last summer. That was a dub. In April it will be a dub in LA. Where's the sub?

Jackskeleton 02-05-03 01:53 PM

Look for Sub in theaters that can handle DLP I would assume. Much like Spirited away, Columbia wants to do a release in the same manner. screens with both Dub and Sub.

keyed 02-05-03 03:48 PM

Yeah if it's R-rated I'll be expecting tenticles...lots of tenticles.
Damn, but I need to get some more caffeine. I read that as "Yeah if it's R-rated I'll be expecting testicles...lots of testicles." Dunno which would be worse though.

Hokeyboy 02-05-03 04:33 PM

Pretty weak opening, but an exciting ending. It's an OK movie, but I can think of too many episodes that were more entertaining.

Captain Harlock 02-05-03 07:23 PM

I'm just looking forward to seeing it.

Franksta 02-06-03 08:03 AM

well Metropolis played in Washington DC and a few other major cities but you're right these movies don't play many places. i hope the dvd release is quick, the theatrical release has already been deleayed enough. Metropolis was in theaters in winter and was on dvd by april so i guess we can expect Bebop on dvd sometime this summer or early fall.

karnblack 02-06-03 09:48 AM

Jack: I missed the Egyptian screening last summer. That was a dub. In April it will be a dub in LA. Where's the sub?
I was at the Egyptian for the screening and it was definitely a sub.

Eric F 02-06-03 11:48 PM

For the English dub, is the same cast/crew used as for the DVD set? I wouldn't mind seeing it then. The DVD translation/actors is just about as good as any dub I've ever seen.