DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Has Tarantino lost his mind, possible new pulp fiction script in the works??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/262442-has-tarantino-lost-his-mind-possible-new-pulp-fiction-script-works.html)

Rypro 525 01-08-03 02:52 PM

Has Tarantino lost his mind, possible new pulp fiction script in the works???

Here's what the Kill Bill site says
"April 26, 2001... Nothing new to report except what Tarantino's already said publically; this time he said it to Roger Friedman who wrote about it in his Fox Life column. "It's not a prequel to Pulp Fiction, but about the Vega brothers and what they did before the story in Pulp Fiction," Tarantino told Friedman. "I've always had the idea to do it, but it's not something I'm working on right now. It's way off in the distance, if it ever happens. First I have to finish Kill Bill, then I have a war movie I'm trying to finish." [Scooped by 'FusionAddict'.]"
John Travolta is confirmed to reprise his role as Vincent Vega (according to an A&E special that someone at HTF noticed), but nobody knows anything else about it.
I'd look for it in like 2005 or 2006. The "war" movie that the artical talks about is called Inglorious Bastards. (the mpaa will change that name).
What do you all think about this news.

Johnny Zhivago 01-08-03 02:56 PM

The Vega Brothers script has been rumored for quite some time... So, no, I'd say he's pretty serious about it...

Rypro 525 01-08-03 03:04 PM

But I think the idea to do another Pulp Fiction project of any kind is stupid since,
a. It will probably suck
b. the original is one of the all time greats, how can you top that
and
c.Travolta would be too old to do this.

spainlinx0 01-08-03 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
But I think the idea to do another Pulp Fiction project of any kind is stupid since,
a. It will probably suck
b. the original is one of the all time greats, how can you top that
and
c.Travolta would be too old to do this.

It will probably suck? And you're basing this on what? Some people say that Tarantino will never top Pulp Fiction. Does that mean he shouldn't make any more movies? Just because it MIGHT not be as good, doesn't mean it will not be a good flick.

das Monkey 01-08-03 04:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth spainlinx0 •<HR SIZE=1>It will probably suck? And you're basing this on what? Some people say that Tarantino will never top Pulp Fiction. Does that mean he shouldn't make any more movies? Just because it MIGHT not be as good, doesn't mean it will not be a good flick. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

:thumbsup:

das

theneobez 01-08-03 04:23 PM

I agree, Travolta would be a bit too old to play it. I guess it could turn out interesting, but Pulp Fiction is holy ground, so I'm also feeling that Tarantino shouldn't try and go back to such a wonderful film.

Rypro 525 01-08-03 04:37 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
It will probably suck? And you're basing this on what? Some people say that Tarantino will never top Pulp Fiction. Does that mean he shouldn't make any more movies? Just because it MIGHT not be as good, doesn't mean it will not be a good flick.
I'm not saying that he should not make another movie, just stay away from another pulp fiction since if the sequel is bad, then it might hurt his reputation, or make the original seem worse.

Groucho 01-08-03 04:39 PM

Pretty hard to do a prequel 10 years after the original movie using the same actor. Both Madsen and Travolta have, er, beefed up quite a bit since they played the roles originally.

Pants 01-08-03 04:39 PM

It wouldn't be a sequal to Pulp Fiction. It would simply focus on a character that caries over from Pulp Fiction. Besides, why is everyone harping on the Pulp Fiction connection? The connection is equally strong with Reservoir Dogs, because this Vega Brothers Story, will feature Mr. Blonde (the other Vega brother). There is this kind of overlap of characters in many of Tarantino's scripts. RD, PF, True Romance, and even Natural Born Killers all have the same kind of self-referential moments that indicate all the films are happening somewhere within the same "universe". Why does this suddenly bother everyone?

Goat3001 01-08-03 04:43 PM

I agree with Pants. This isn't a Pulp Fiction sequal or prequal, its an entirely differant movie about the Vega Brothers. I do, however, agree that a prequal would be rather weird since both actors are much older.

rfduncan 01-08-03 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Pretty hard to do a prequel 10 years after the original movie using the same actor. Both Madsen and Travolta have, er, beefed up quite a bit since they played the roles originally.
Hard? Example:

Anthony Hopkins -
Silence of the Lambs 1991
Red Dragon 2002

:D

DVDHO 01-08-03 05:34 PM

He's been talking about this for years,and with make-up and tecnology anything can be done in hollywood,I do hope he does it sooner then later though.

The Antipodean 01-08-03 05:39 PM

I would find this barely a "sequel" to Pulp Fiction. It just continues the thematic link between all three of his movies to date -- I'd say "Jackie Brown," "Pulp" and "Reservoir" all take place in the same universe of sorts, so what's the harm in him playing in it some more? (I've got no clue about "Kill Bill" yet because I'm avoiding all online hype about it until it's out.) Anyway, dismissing this out of hand as "suck" is pretty lame; there are plenty of proposed movies out there far more likely to suck than a QT project along these lines. And I really don't think Travolta has aged THAT bad in the past 9 years no matter what your opinion of him as an actor may be. He could easily play the character again.

joltaddict 01-08-03 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'd say "Jackie Brown," "Pulp" and "Reservoir" all take place in the same universe
Jackie Brown takes place in Elmore Lenords universe.

Hokeyboy 01-08-03 07:27 PM

You keep referring to the proposed film as "another Pulp Fiction". I don't think that is what Tarantino is trying to accomplish with The Vega Brothers.

Mutley Hyde 01-08-03 07:39 PM

I'll throw my hat in with the "It will suck" camp, if for nothing else, for the fact that Roger Avary will have nothing to do with it this go 'round.

Will it suck all that bad though? Probably not.

ipkevin 01-08-03 07:41 PM

Travolta has lost a lot of weight lately. He's pretty svelte now and visibly less chunky than his Vincent Vega era.

Josh-da-man 01-08-03 07:58 PM

Expect this movie to be absolutely NOTHING like either Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs.

And Tarantino has two distinct "universes" he works within.

One is the "real" world that "Pulp Fiction" "Reservoir Dogs" and "True Romance" occur in.

The other is the "movie" universe that "Natural Born Killers" "From Dusk til Dawn" and (presumably) "Kill Bill" take place in.

A character from a "real" movie could walk into a theater and see a "movie" movie. IE, Mr. Pink might've gone to see "From Dusk til Dawn" after he got released from prison.

And none of the charcters can crossover, except for Winston Wolf.

Tarantinot also said that "Jackie Brown" takes place in the Elmore Leonard Universe and is apart from his own two realities.

I read this somewhere, maybe AICN?

Rypro 525 01-08-03 08:06 PM

Originally posted by ipkevin
Travolta has lost a lot of weight lately.
:jawdrop: What, where did you hear that.

TeeSeeJay 01-08-03 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
IE, Mr. Pink might've gone to see "From Dusk til Dawn" after he got released from prison.

Except he's dead.

I'd be very hip to a Vega Brothers movie. It sounded like a fantastic idea every since I first heard it rumored several years ago.

Shonn 01-09-03 12:44 AM

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Except he's dead.

I could have sworn Pink lives, doesn't he just get arrested?

joltaddict 01-09-03 01:55 AM

You hear a flurry of gunshots after he leaves. Sounds bad for Pink.

Shonn 01-09-03 03:16 AM

I remember hearing the cars tires getting shot out then the cops yelling at Pink to get out of the car, I don't think there were shots after that.

edit-found this FAQ that says;

What happened to Mr. Pink at the end -- did he die or not?
If you listen up close and try to make out what's going on, you'll hear Mr. Pink try to make a getaway. The cops show up, shoot out the tires, and Mr. Pink shrieks, "I've been shot, goddamnit!" One of the policemen then says, "Did you kill a cop? Are you a cop killer?" The click of the handcuffs follow, then the force busts in and takes care of Mr. White. It's hard to make out what is being said since Harvey Keitel's groans muffle out a portion of it, but according to sources who said they read the script, and through a Buscemi interview, Mr. Pink does indeed survive -- but must take the rap for that afternoon's heist.

Josh-da-man 01-09-03 06:04 AM

Also, in the original script to Reservoir Dogs, there's a title card after the diner scene that says something like "One of these men is a cop, and by the end all but one will be dead." That script is VERY close to the finished movie, and the decision to not include the title card likely had nothing to do with the storyline.

So the original intent was to let him live.

lesterlong 01-09-03 10:56 AM

I hope they bring Mia back. And Mr Pink did survive, didn't you see where he was waiting tables at Jack Rabbits?