Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-06-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a movie buff. I watch lots of movies.

But I saw Chinatown for the FIRST TIME tonight. I can't believe I've never seen this before (28 years!) and I've never even had the movie spoiled (except for the last line, of course).

I wouldn't have thought that I had such a hole in my movie repertoire. I knew about the movie, but it somehow had always slipped by unseen.

How about you? Any holes in your movie list? What did you think when you finally filled that hole? Or are there holes you know about that you wonder why you haven't filled?
Old 01-07-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I havent seen many of the disney animated classics. At least nothing more than bits and pieces. Its funny how the general story of all them come to me, but i don't recall sitting down to watch them all. Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Bambi, and even Beauty and the Beast. Hopefully that'll change and i'll get em on DVD
Old 01-07-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

Originally posted by Seeker
What did you think when you finally filled that hole? Or are there holes you know about that you wonder why you haven't filled?
too.....many.......jokes...........head........exploding.........

Last edited by HistoryProf; 01-07-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-07-03, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still haven't seen Casablanca or Chinatown. There are probably a lot more, but that's all I can think of now.
Old 01-07-03, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Shocking, I know - but I havent seen the Godfather films. I keep meaning to rent it - of just buy the boxed set blind (tho the 80 buck pricetag is holding me back from that).

One of these days, for sure. . . .
Old 01-07-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Godfather, Rules of the Game, Magnificent Ambersons, Chinatown, Knife in the Water, Chushingura, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Scarface, Pretty Woman, The Princess Bride, Breathless, Hero, Paths of Glory, Maltese Falcon, Wizard of Oz, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Re-Animator, Slacker, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, 8 1/2, Tokyo Story, The Big Sleep, Dirty Dozen, 2001, City Lights, Potemkin, On the Waterfront, Aliens, The Sting, The Red Shoes, Sunset Boulevard, Amadeus, Singing in the Rain, Grease, The Third Man, The Thirty Nine Steps, Vertigo, Rear Window, Alphaville, The Bicycle Thief, Brief Encounter, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Fitzcarraldo, The 400 Blows, L'Avventura, The Searchers, Dirty Harry, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Lawrence of Arabia...

List goes on.

Simple, really: Movies and DVDs appear at an increasing rate, doubly so because everyday my knowledge of movies I want to see increases. My time however is finite, as is my money.

Old 01-07-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never seen ET.. Never even part of it on TV.. Not sure why, heck I even own the DVD of it, just have not got around to watching it... Sep now, at 30 I know it's not going to be the sort of "wow" it might of been if I had seen it as a child when it first came out.. Still, as one of the all time sort of classic --everyone has seen it-- sort of films I look forward to it..

Same for Citizen Kane.. Being it's near the top of all the list as far as great films made. That is a huge hole to not have seen that yet but more understandable being it came out in the 40's

Film more modern that I know nothing really about but must see is The French Connection.. I have NO idea how that slipped under the radar for me..

Films I would rank up there on the "at last I have seen it" are not films I never saw really, more ones that I has seen many times on TV but never the "real" version so to speak. So like Animal House and BLues Brothers.. Well heck after I watched those I was just thinking.. So THAT is why people like them so much, geeee a lot better with out a lot of cuts and ads for who knows what in the middle of them
Old 01-07-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All of Kurosawa's, Bergman's, and some other directors films that I still have not seen...
Old 01-07-03, 06:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recently screened films I wish I'd seen a long time ago...

"The Double Life of Veronique" by Kieslowski
"Contempt" by Godard
"Red Beard" by Kurosawa
"Cries and Whispers" by Bergman
"L'avventura" by Antonioni
"Breaking the Waves" by Lars von Trier
"George Washington" by David Gordon Green
Old 01-07-03, 06:47 AM

I've missed a lot of the classic stuff. I'm hoping the American Classic Cinema course I'm taking this semester will fill some of those that I really need to see. Off the top of my head though, Chinatown, Scarface, Godfather series, most Hitchcock films, original Planet of the Apes, Spartacus, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind...
Old 01-07-03, 08:07 AM

I finally got around to seeing Boondock Saints. I can't believe I never saw this before. It immediately turned into my favorite movie (closely followed by American History X and Catch Me If You Can). The DVD, however, doesn't have very many extra features (which sucks).
Old 01-07-03, 09:13 AM

During the holidays I finally saw "It's a Wonderful Life". I've also recently seen "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". I haven't seen any of the Godfathers as well. I'm not into the mob movies, so that's what's held me back. I know there's way more to the movie than that, but I have to get off my duff and just watch it.
Old 01-07-03, 09:46 AM

I've never seen Godfather III, even though everyone on this board keeps telling me it's the best of the three
Old 01-07-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time on Sunday night.
Old 01-07-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another one in this category for me is "Vertigo" - I've seen almost all the Hitchcock movies, but for some reason, this classic I'd missed until last week.

In this case, I did know the plot, but I'd just never seen it.

I'm now putting together a movie list to try to see more of these "I always wanted to see these but never have".

So many movies, so little time!
Old 01-07-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Citizen Kane...I own the DVD, I even own the VHS, yet somehow, I've never watched it. I think I will remedy that this week.
Old 01-07-03, 12:20 PM

I used to think that it was funny when someone would say that they owned a movie for a while, and haven't watched it yet. But recently I've purchased a couple movies that haven't had a chance to watch... "First Knight" and "Friday the 13th part V: A New Beginning". I've owned FT13 for quite some time without a veiwing. I've actually only seen FT13 parts 1, 6, and Jason X. I should soon have watched all these. Just waiting to complete the set.
Old 01-07-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ToddSm66
I just saw "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time on Sunday night.
I even meant to see this movie on christmas eve on NBC, but I was here, not in front of the tv.
Old 01-07-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I finally saw Miller's Crossing about three months ago after hearing about it for more than seven years. I wondered where it had been all my life!
Old 01-07-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They really need to stop making movies for 10 or 15 years so we can all catch up. Let's start a petition, that always works!
Old 01-07-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw Blade Runner and the hole I had before is still pretty much empty. Maybe I will enjoy the theatrical cut more? If it ever comes to DVD, that is.
Old 01-07-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

I bought The French Connection last year on a blind-buy, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was an excellent movie that I FINALLY saw.

Originally posted by Seeker

But I saw Chinatown for the FIRST TIME tonight. I can't believe I've never seen this before (28 years!) and I've never even had the movie spoiled (except for the last line, of course).

I wouldn't have thought that I had such a hole in my movie repertoire. I knew about the movie, but it somehow had always slipped by unseen.

I just rented Chinatown, too, this past Saturday. I thought it was a good movie, and I liked some of the sequences and the ending, but I don't think it was the 'classic' some people have told me it was. I did like it and it made for a good rental, I am just glad that I didn't make it a blind-buy a few months ago, because I don't know if I would watch it again.

There are several 'classics' that I haven't scene:

Of Hitchcock's films, I have only seen Psycho and North by Northwest in their entirety - I really don't know why this is either because I like what I have seen so far and I have seen bits and pieces of some his other films.

Of Kurosawa's films, I have only seen The Hidden Fortress from beginning to end. His films are on top of my 'to-do' list.

I have never seen anything by Bergman, Fellini, and several other older foreign directors, etc. I have thought about delving into several of their films. I haven't, as of yet.

I have never seen Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, etc.

I have seen bits and pieces of several films: Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, The African Queen, 2001, Alien/Aliens, Amadeus...but I have never seen them in their entirety to my recollection. I am trying to open up and watch more of the 'classics', especially since I am running out of newer films to watch. It's time for me to broaden my horizons in the film world, and I am slowly but surely.

Last edited by B.A.; 01-07-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

too many to list but a few immediately come to mind...
can't believe i havent seen 'it's a wonderful life' (considering it's played constantly thru dec.), casablanca, and the godfather
Old 01-07-03, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Bechman 2000
But recently I've purchased ... "First Knight"
I liked First Knight a whole lot better than I was expecting. Check it out.
Old 01-08-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't see Vertigo until a film class last year. Awesome movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.