DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Quote: The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/261602-quote-matrix-sequels-will-make-starwars-look-like-animated-crayolas.html)

ReginaldTrent 01-05-03 12:01 AM

Quote: The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas.

Devin Gordon, associate editor of Newsweek. Regarding the Matrix seguels "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions".

Quote:

Bigger, better it's gonna blow you away. It's at a level of action and a level of storytelling that people have just not seen in a movie before. Even in the first Matrix it's well beyond that. The effects will make the first Matrix look like the stone age. The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas.

Devin Gordon gave those quotes on a segment aired today on Access Hollywood.

So by George Lucas out! Uhh...that should be by George look out.

BTW Devin Gordon is the only journalist that has seen screenings of both sequels.

Jackskeleton 01-05-03 12:28 AM

I don't know, anything that claims "The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas." is pretty bold.. no actually, since star wars was made in the 70's and effects were not all that great back then. Sure today's standards in effects for the matrix sequels might blow away anything in the 70's -rolleyes-

Seriously, is their any need to compare the matrix with star wars other then to get some reaction? I want to judge it on it's own if you ask me.

Then again, Keanu acting might make any acting in star wars look Oscar worthy. ;)

Goldberg74 01-05-03 12:34 AM

... and rain makes applesauce.

Jepthah 01-05-03 12:49 AM

If they have to boast this loud, that is not a good sign.

The Wachowskis are not strong writers IMO, and if the success of the first film has gone too far to their heads they will make a huge amount of money for creating two cinematic turds spaced 6 months apart.

Jackskeleton 01-05-03 01:50 AM

I don't think it's so much the Wachowskis making the noise, it's more along the lines of the CG director. the guy thinks he's better then sliced bread. He claims that the Special effects in Reloaded will be "copy proof" unlike the bullet time effect which was copied, abused and the horse was beaten to death. I'm sorry, but any and EVERY effect will be copy-able.

I do look forward to a 17 minute fight scene which cost around 40 million to make though.

Rogue588 01-05-03 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I do look forward to a 17 minute fight scene which cost around 40 million to make though.
As long as it involves Monica Bellucci & a lot of bouncing and/or nudity! :D

El-Kabong 01-05-03 02:16 AM

I had the pleasure read that "article" tonight, and it lost all credability with me when it continued to slam Star Wars to better itself. I counted at least three instances where "Star Wars is a souless series that nobody cares about" - or words to that effect.

Now, I dont care if you thought that Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were the biggest pile of flaming poo to ever polute the silver screen - you dont resort to unprofessional name calling to better your own product. Either your movie stands on it's own merits or it doesnt - but dont mud sling.

Lord Crumb 01-05-03 02:41 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Now, I dont care if you thought that Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were the biggest pile of flaming poo to ever polute the silver screen - you dont resort to unprofessional name calling to better your own product. Either your movie stands on it's own merits or it doesnt - but dont mud sling.
I wholeheartedly agree.

From my perspective, such sentiments make the one who spoke them look juvenile and insecure of the quality of their own product.

As a fan of both franchises, such comments annoy me more than they excite me.

joeydaninja 01-05-03 05:33 AM

Re: Quote: The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas.

Originally posted by ReginaldTrent
The Matrix sequels will make Starwars look like it was animated with crayolas.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Bwah
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
haha
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wala lang.

that's all.

Troy Stiffler 01-05-03 10:53 AM

Then again, Keanu acting might make any acting in star wars look Oscar worthy. ;)
"And the oscar for best supporting actor goes to Ahmed Best" -Denzel Washington

Get Me Coffee 01-05-03 11:13 AM

Originally posted by troystiffler
Nother fine brother!

Tyler_Durden 01-05-03 11:58 AM

Originally posted by troystiffler
...and only Julia Roberts will clap.

filmcritic 01-05-03 01:33 PM

Just curious who was saying those things about comparing Matrix and Star Wars in that article was it someone from newsweek or someone from the production team of Matrix?

Does anybody have a link to the article?

I'm really looking forward to Matrix 2 and 3, I also like Star Wars(and that is all of the Star Wars Films) but couldnt see why someone from the production team would make that comparsion.
I think the Wachowski's are excellent directors and wouldn't say things like that.
The last thing im going to say is that, IMHO I think Matrix 2 and 3 is going to blow everybodys mind at how great the storytelling and action is.

fumanstan 01-05-03 01:44 PM

I could care less about the harsh words for Star Wars, as i agree with the comments made. I like the bold statement, as it just tells me that they're trying to do something truly amazing. The article made me even more excited about the Matrix sequels.

DVDHO 01-05-03 03:04 PM

These movies are gonna rock,and the W brothers can wright a story over night better then anything Lucas has written latly,they prolly said that bold statement because its true,it wouldnt be to hard to beat out SW:Epi.1&2.

I dont think they where talking about the original trilogy since it started in the 70's.

Sessa17 01-05-03 03:26 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
I could care less about the harsh words for Star Wars, as i agree with the comments made. I like the bold statement, as it just tells me that they're trying to do something truly amazing. The article made me even more excited about the Matrix sequels.
I COMPLETELY agree. As this thread proves, & the person (IT WAS NOT THE WACHOWSKI Bros.) that made those comments in Newsweek, knows exactly how annoying & BLIND Star Wars fanatics are. No PM & AOTC aren't the biggest piles of poo, but for how arrogant Lucas & Co. are & for how much they really on CGI etc. it looks so overdone if your like me you find it annoying. THe special effects team on the Matrix seems to be so confident they can do better(which I agree they can) they have no problems letting people know about it.

The bottom line is there are dozens of overly hyped Blockbusters that come out every single year & while they all bring in hundreds of millions of dollars, few of them manage to change the media of film, The Matrix whether you liked it or not, did this, & the creators know the sequals will do the same so why not brag about it.

GuessWho 01-05-03 03:30 PM

Why use Star Wars as the comparison? Why not The Santa Clause 2? Star Wars & Matrix have nothing in common so why keep associating the two? (thank God, 'cause I hated the first Matrix)

Groucho 01-05-03 04:45 PM

Inspiring a few insipid parodies and rip-offs is hardly "changing the media of film." Don't give The Matrix more credit then it deserves.

das Monkey 01-05-03 04:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Tyler_Durden •<HR SIZE=1>...and only Julia Roberts will clap. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do what? Julia Roberts has the clap?

das

Troy Stiffler 01-05-03 05:11 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Why use Star Wars as the comparison? Why not The Santa Clause 2?
The Santa Clause 2 wasn't filled will silly, absurd CG. I think the guy was refering to the new Star Wars Films. And I don't think he was comparing them based on anything other than the effects.

CG is too often just the cowards way of avoiding effects that take planning, thought, and time to create. Look at 2001: A Space Oddesy, Lord of the Rings or hell, episodes 4-6. In Fellowship of the Ring, it was beautiful and inspiring to once again see physical towns, in real settings, real landscapes. CG should be used as an absolute last resort. For example, the giant machines at the end of The Matrix.

I feel that The Matrix Sequels are better compared to the Terminator Films, rather than Star Wars. T2 and The Matrix are both more on the dark futuristic scale. The also both rely on action to push everything forward. The Wachowski's and James Cameron are more realized writers and directors. Lucas is to ignorant to realize how silly a lot of his writing and direction is. There are several scenes in Episodes 1 and 2 that made the audience laugh...unintentionally. His writing is so unbalanced, and sometimes I don't know if he's trying to be whimsical or serious or just trying to do something cool for his fans.

I get enough 'crayola' scenes in video games. They have their place at the bottom of the barrel in film.

conscience 01-05-03 05:28 PM

I would choose anything over Star Wars...so I can't wait for the sequels.

d2cheer 01-05-03 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
If they have to boast this loud, that is not a good sign.

The Wachowskis are not strong writers IMO, and if the success of the first film has gone too far to their heads they will make a huge amount of money for creating two cinematic turds spaced 6 months apart.

That is what I was thinking....

Big Whoopie Do!! Hearing this does not make me want to see it.

nchhabra 01-05-03 09:25 PM

Or maybe watching Star Wars episodes I and II will make Keanu's acting look Oscar worthy. ;)

Sloth911 01-05-03 10:31 PM

1. I think is obvious that the comments in the Newsweek article were referring to the CGI in EP1/ 2. Not the ORIGINAL trilogy.

2. The reliance of CGI in EP1/ 2 is very scary to me; it essentially ruined both of the new star wars for me. Watching Lucas "direct" the film by digitally removing, relocating, etc actors on the DVD featurettes was REALLY disturbing. With all the extras on the DVD you can see how much emphasis is placed on CGI.

3. I LOVE and watch the original trilogy all the time, however I have watched EP 1/2 twice on DVD basically to enjoy the 5.1 sound and the light saber battles. If I didn’t have a 5.1 HT, I wouldn’t have bought EP 1/2.

4. Without argument, it should be obvious to most people that the success of EP 1/2 is due to the blind devotion (as motioned earlier) of the original fans. That is WHY I went to see the movies and that is WHY I bought the DVD’s that is WHY I watched the 15 hrs of extra footage.

5. I agree that making those comments towards Star Wars is unprofessional, but the individual is expressing concerns that man other people have. Let us just hope that both Matrix sequels can live up to the true ingenuity that was the Matrix.

BassDude 01-05-03 10:35 PM

People keep making Star Wars the benchmark. How many films have said "Star Wars meets _______" "As thrilling as the Star Wars series." " Not since Star Wars has a film so ______"

Maybe they'll raise the bar yet again... And maybe George and crew will surpass it with Ep. III.

Hmmmmmm