Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Catch Me if You Can

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Catch Me if You Can

Old 12-25-02, 03:56 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Catch Me if You Can

Just got back from seeing this and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a wonderful story to be told and the payoff is very satisfying.

Spielberg has created a pristine aura with this film - and it fits perfectly. All cast members do a wonderful job and this is the perfect role for DiCaprio - unlike his miscast lead in Gangs of New York.

My only complaint with this film is that it is never fully explained why Frank Abagnale Jr. acts the way he does. Why can't he just go through the routine and live a normal life or is it the thrill of the chase that drives him to do what he does?

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-25-02, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I be giving those theatre folk a break today.
Old 12-25-02, 08:39 PM

Re: Catch Me if You Can

Originally posted by Geofferson
Why can't he just go through the routine and live a normal life or is it the thrill of the chase that drives him to do what he does?

What are your thoughts?
Don't want to put any spoilers in here in case people haven't seen it. If you can recall that seen at the airport near the end with just Hanks and DiCaprio, that pretty much answers your question.
Old 12-25-02, 09:46 PM

Re: Re: Catch Me if You Can

Originally posted by adumbc
If you can recall that seen at the airport near the end with just Hanks and DiCaprio, that pretty much answers your question.
Right - I know exactly what you're referring to. However, it is never explained why Abagnale Jr. behaves the way he does.
Old 12-26-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also really enjoyed it. A fun movie about a clever guy with very good performances.

It's nice to see a director just tell a good story.

Spoiler:
I took it that at first he was just trying to get the money for his Dad so that his Mom would love him again. Later, it became about the thrill of the chase.

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 12-26-02 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-26-02, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum

It's nice to see a director just tell a good story.
Agreed - and a what a wonderful story it was.
Old 12-26-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how true the events that took place in the movie were? Specifically,
Spoiler:
did Frank actually slip into the innards of the airplane only to slip out under the landing gear?
A lot of fun, but pretty far-fetched.
Old 12-26-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Spoiler:
I think getting his parents back together was ALWAYS the motivation. In the scene where he invites his father to his engagement party, he is still convinced that the money is what will bring his mother back. After he is extradited, finds out his father is dead, then escapes, he goes straight to his mom's new place. There he sees his mom has moved on and has a new life and family, and realizes that what he wanted will never happen. The last bit at the airport was just to show that he didn't have anything to run from anymore (his parents' divorce, the FBI, etc. That's why he came back.

We saw this on Christmas day. Very entertaining movie! Highly recommended!
Old 12-26-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was sort of bored by the structure of the film, even though it does a good job of recreating the 1960's, a time where a lot of this was indeed possible, but nowadays, it it wouldn't make for as entertaining story.

I think the problem with the film is that the characters seem much more 2-dimensional than they should. But the acting is good overall with both Dicaprio and Hanks doing a good job with the material they are given.

Also, I wasn't all that crazy about the blown-out back lighting of a lot of the scenes in the film. I know it was a stylistic choice, but it didn't really serve the story for me.

I also think the film is too long (140 minutes is too long for the subject matter of the film, I think 20-30 minutes could've been trimmed while retaining the resolution of the film).

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 12-26-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seeing it in less than 2 hours.
Old 12-26-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding Jennifer Garner's small role:

Spoiler:

How many hookers just happen to have $400 in their bra and are willing to take a cashier's check and make change?

Old 12-26-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked the movie. Doesn't move as much as Minority Report but it's not really an action movie. It's an "adventure" movie. And I feel that the characters were well fleshed out by the end of the movie. It's like a good book. Not everything is revealed at the beginning.

As for the hazy, backlighting: I think that a lot of 60's films (e.g. "Born On The Fourth of July," "We Were Soldiers") have that same kind of lighting and it's just become indicative of the time period. I really feel Janusz Kaminski filmed this one more conservatively than the previous "A.I." or "Minority Report."

DiCaprio and Hanks did a great job in their lead roles. Jennifer Garner, Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen are also good in their supporting roles.

I also noticed in the end credits, that Frank W. Abagnale (Jr.) appears as a French policeman! I wonder which one he was?
Old 12-26-02, 09:27 PM

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-26-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
The wife and I just saw it. I liked it a lot. Leo was great as Frank (this role was made for him) and Tom Hanks wasn't too bad either (I thought his accent was pretty decent most of the time). Excellent supporting cast, particularly Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen. Spielberg and Co. did a good job, this movie really appeared like it was made in the sixties.

No complaints on my end, but the wife thought it was a little too long (140 minutes or so) and started to drag towards the end.
Old 12-27-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why'd Frank
Spoiler:
keep tearing off labels off of things?
Did I miss something? Was it just a
Spoiler:
tick of his
?
Old 12-27-02, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Why'd Frank
Spoiler:
keep tearing off labels off of things?
Did I miss something? Was it just a
Spoiler:
tick of his
?
Spoiler:
First of all, he took off the Pan Am labels off the toy planes so he could forge their company checks. Pretty much everything he did after that was pretty much for the same reason -- to forge checks. Even the part he cut out his photo at the FBI....I believe he cut that out to make false I.D. so that he can board the plane as a Pan Am pilot.

You know....I wonder if Pan Am went out of business because of the millions they lost through Frank Abagnale?
Old 12-27-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jarofclay73
Spoiler:
First of all, he took off the Pan Am labels off the toy planes so he could forge their company checks. Pretty much everything he did after that was pretty much for the same reason -- to forge checks. Even the part he cut out his photo at the FBI....I believe he cut that out to make false I.D. so that he can board the plane as a Pan Am pilot.

You know....I wonder if Pan Am went out of business because of the millions they lost through Frank Abagnale?
Well, that part was obvious. I meant with the
Spoiler:
wine bottles,ketchup, mayonnaise, etc.
Cuz those were pretty sloppy jobs from what what shown and not as "clean" as his other jobs...
Old 12-27-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
It was a nervous habit of Frank's - tearing off labels. At the Rotary Club shin-dig, they show Frank tearing off the label of one of the bottles at his table. Fortunately for Frank, it's a nervous habit that paid dividends.
Old 12-27-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read the book, and while I enjoyed it, I was a bit nervous about the movie... the book was very one sided and I wasn't sure how it'd translate...well, I needn't have worried.

The film is a fantasic ride. It was funny, touching and moved at a great pace. I did NOT think it was too long, I didn't find anything dragged....it all added to the wonderful colourful characters in the film... certainly not a 'heavy' picture, this was some of the most fun I've had at the theatre recently.

I think just about anyone can enjoy this film and it HIGHLY ENJOYABLE.

MATT

p.s. It should be said I have a huge love of Spielberg, which may make my review slightly biased.
Old 12-28-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this movie. It didn't leave that Spielberg aftertaste.
Old 12-28-02, 08:43 AM

In answer to Geofferson's question about why Frank acts the way he does, for me there was a simple answer:

He wanted to please his father (Christopher Walken) and prove that he was a "success." He just couldn't stand the kind of failure that his father went though.
Old 12-28-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
I also noticed in the end credits, that Frank W. Abagnale (Jr.) appears as a French policeman! I wonder which one he was?
Maybe a picture of him would help:

Spoiler:
I wonder if the thing about tearing off labels was supposed to tie in with how he tore off his own label by impersonating other kinds of people.

Or maybe the filmmakers just didn't want to pay for the product placement.
Old 12-28-02, 10:57 AM

Looks like I'm the only person who didn't like this movie. First of all it was way too long. Very boring and drug out. I also couldn't understand how everyone in the theatre was laughing the whole time. I only found a few parts funny. The prayer scene at his fiance's house was very cliche and done worse than most other scenes like that I've seen before (meet the parents, etc.). Much of it seemed far-fetched and I highly doubt that the real Abegnale had such success at making fools of the FBI so many times and for so long. I didn't really like the structure of the film (but I don't really know what would have worked better). The only part I really liked was the opening credits. It had a Pink Panther feel to it and the music made me think it might be like a HItchcock film or perhaps like Charade. Too bad it wasn't. I don't see what was so special about Leo's performance. It didn't seem like it would have been too dificult to play. Also, what the heck kind of accent was Tom Hanks supposed to be using? I couldn't figure it out. Anyhow, I don't recommend this film and give it 1 star out 4. Too bad, I thought it would be good.
Old 12-28-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw it last night and thought it was a decent movie, nothing special. A few chuckles, a few moments that got me very interested to see the outcome, but nothing that really stood out that would make me watch it again or buy the dvd.
Old 12-28-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i liked it, wasnt blown away but did enjoy it in general. it had a few slow moments but i do agree that the filmmakers did a great job recreating the 60s. as for why he acted the way he did, i understood it to be him acting like his father. his dad was his role model and he saw that charm, flattery, dazzlment, etc. could go a long way. he also wanted to save him from failure and help get his mom back. great performances by dicap and walken but hanks' accent really bothered me. i was curious what happened to all the real abagnale "victims" (the debutante, the stewardesses, etc.)

Last edited by hgar78; 12-28-02 at 01:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.