DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   sitting in the front of a theater (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/259000-sitting-front-theater.html)

atari2600 12-21-02 02:08 PM

sitting in the front of a theater

does anyone else NOT do this? i refuse to sit in front. i always have to get there early enough not to. i cant enjoy the movie if my neck is bent back and i have to turn my head back and forth like my own personal friggin pan and scan.

what do you guys do? do you not care? get their early? if only seats in the front are left, do you just not go, try to get a rain check, goto another movie? ;)

maybe its just me cuz ive seen people go directly to the front when they get there, evne though there are a ton of seats left.

das Monkey 12-21-02 02:17 PM

I don't mind the front ... often I seek it out. I hate seats far in the back (or too high in a stadium), and seats to the sides are the worst. I don't like sitting up front during a comedy or drama, but when it comes to action/adventure, it's the only way to fly. It's the difference between watching a movie and experiencing a movie. This doesn't apply to craptacular theaters where the screen is 30 feet off the ground though ... only the stadium theaters where the screen is low to the ground. I remember fighting for front row center at the opening of <B>Episode 1</B> ... it was more than worth it, especially for the pod race.

das

Jackskeleton 12-21-02 02:41 PM

If I have a choice, I would never sit in the front of the theater, it's a waste of a theater experience if you ask me. My eye sight isn't the best and I don't plan on pushing my luck by sitting in the front.

LBPound 12-21-02 03:16 PM

I never set in the front. Ideally, I sit in the middle-to-back (depending on the screen size) and near the center aisle seat.

fumanstan 12-21-02 03:20 PM

Sitting in the front is terrible at all the theaters i go too. You're basically looking straight up at the screen. I try and sit in the middle... back is alright.

calhoun07 12-21-02 04:07 PM

If I can't get there early enough to get a good seat farther back, I don't go. I also refuse to sit in the front. If I can't get there early, I will opt to see it another day when the crowd isn't as big.

silentbob007 12-21-02 04:46 PM

I try not to sit in front as it hurts my neck ... I hate craning up to see the screen.

Alyoshka 12-21-02 04:49 PM

I'm with das Monkey on this one; watching in the front is good when it's an action flick at a decent theater. Typically, at stadium seating theaters, I will try to sit in the first row of the actual stadium seating area (which translates to near the middle but nobody else blocking my view in any way).

BDB 12-21-02 05:50 PM

always sit about 4 or 5 rows from the back. Can't do the front, and will leave the showing if I don't get to sit where I choose.

FinkPish 12-21-02 06:08 PM

Sitting in the front row in the new ArcLight theaters is not that bad, actually. I heard from one of the owners in an interview that if the screen were to fall over, it still wouldn't hit the front row. So there is plenty of room, but paying $14 for a ticket is not really worth the convience.

Wazootyman 12-21-02 07:29 PM

I absolutely hate sitting in the front, but I've only had to on very rare occasions, since I usually arrive to the theater in advance. The middle seat in the middle-2/3 back row is where I usually sit, I feel that's the best seat in the house, everything is in my field of view, while the picture still remains relatively large

Copenhagen 12-21-02 07:36 PM

Originally posted by silentbob007
I try not to sit in front as it hurts my neck ... I hate craning up to see the screen.
Same for me, I rather be in the middle to the back.

mikehunt 12-21-02 07:39 PM

I try not to, hate having to look side to side to see the whole screen
I've found the best area to be halfway back from the screen in the middle of the row

Buck Turgidson 12-21-02 08:14 PM

I get there early, so I can have my pick of seats and a chance to settle in. I like to sit near the middle, and @ 5-10 rows from the back. You get the best look at everything on the screen from that vantage point, plus, I hate the sensation of having everyone behind me.

Darkfriend 12-21-02 08:49 PM

I usually show up early to sit near the middle. However I remember for "Seven" my date showed up late and we had to sit at the front-extreme right of the theatre...I telll ya it was like I was on acid the whole movie; didn't like it at all but my date put out so it was ok in the end !!

conscience 12-21-02 09:06 PM

If I sit up front I will most definitely get sick.

No. Really.

I usually have to sit in front if I go to a sneak preview. I always get there 45 mintues early and I am still one of the last few people.

It is always in the back (top for stadium seating)

adamblast 12-21-02 09:13 PM

Unless the theater design makes for tons of neck craning, I'm an upfront kind of guy. Especially for SciFi and special effects films. 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the front is ideal.

I *want* my whole field of vision taken up. I *want* to have to move my eyes from place to place on the screen... Otherwise, it's called television.

Souljahh 12-21-02 09:38 PM

I hate sitting in the front as well.

The typical moviegoer prefers non-front row seats, right? My mother told me when she was younger back in Iran, the front row tickets were the cheapest because no one really wanted to sit in them.

karnblack 12-21-02 10:13 PM

I usually sit in the front half or third of the theater, but never in the first four rows. Row five is the closest I'll get. If only the front is available I'll get a refund on my ticket.