Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackson doesn't follow the book (spoiler)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-20-02, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of my friends that read the book said that Helm's Deep was much more out of proportion in the movie. Supposedly, in the book it was more like 300 vs 2,000 or 3,000, not 10,000. Also, in the book, the elves never "come to the rescue" like they do in the movie. And at the end of the battle, Gandolf comes with a different group of men in the book, not like in the movie where he brings the guy that was banished from his country. Even though these scenes made the movie better, I still think Jackson should have followed the books as closely as possible, because the whole point of these movies are to basically make the book come to life (or are pretty much an alternative for those of us who hate to read).

(if this was posted already sorry.. I searched and didn't find anything)
Old 12-20-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As this post shows, there is a Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers forum, which has a popular thread discussing differences between the book and the movie.

Old 12-20-02, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops! I don't know why I posted this in the Movie Talk forum when I just looked at the TT forum for like an hour. Moderator can you move this please?
Old 12-20-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats because it's an adaptation of the book. When you watch a movie that is based on a book it is pretty hard to translate it perfectly word for word. I'm sorry, but if you are going to start a thread, please make it your words, don't go "My friends read the books and ....." why don't you read the books and see what exactly the difference is and really as much that was changed, the movies are pretty faithful to the books over all.
Old 12-20-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read FOTR and saw the movie. If PJ made FOTR straight from the book everyone would have fallen asleep while watching. But the book was very good. Different media need different presentations. That's why Ridley Scott made so many changes when he made BladeRunner.